Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. wrat1

wrat1 Members

unfortunately thats a non relevant emotion based question

2. wrat1

wrat1 Members

the number of gun deaths has nothing to do with why the 2nd amendment was written

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

wrat1

So when do you start murdering police officers and your fellow citizens?

In other words what to you define as tyrannical and when do you use your gun to counter it?

I mean is voter suppression a step toward tyranny?

Why do so many right wing gun owners seem actually in favour of it not opposed?

If you look at US history actually guns in the hands of citizens were more often used as a means towards suppression and tyranny than not.

Mysteron and SaraSara like this.
  4. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

In my opinion there is never a good time to talk about guns . Firearms were designed to do one function ie Kill.

They should be just left in the hands of trained professionals and then only used as a last resort.

5. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Firstly I dont own any firearms, secondly I believe there are already gun laws on the books, discussion is always good, I think and I may be wrong what you are looking for is a ban or total control if not feel free to correct me.

as to your last point again not relevant the death penalty and the 2nd amendment are separate issues

6. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Your first statement is baiting so if you choose to go that route I will bow out,
    2nd I would say Trump was pretty damn close to tyrannical
    Yes it is
    please clarify third statement
    clarify and expound on last statement

Oh and BTW I own exactly ZERO firearms

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

Why is it baiting – it would seem the most germane of questions - if people have guns to protect against tyranny at some point that would entail them using them against others

And many gun owners supported Trump – in fact guns featured prominently in many pro-trump demonstrations

But again at what point should people have used guns to opposed Trump?

So how can guns be used to counter voter suppression?

That was a question - Why do so many right wing gun owners seem actually in favour of it [voter suppression] not opposed?

OK during the time when black American citizens were been suppressed under what seem like tyrannical rule, gun in the hands of citizens were used as weapons of suppression not liberation.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

By all means; please show the class where any of that appears in the text of the 2nd Amendment.

SaraSara and Tyrsonswood like this.
  9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Gun control proposals

Here is an edit list of something I’ve posted a few times on the forums that was formed from a couple of lists me and MeAgain had presented at differing times.

Educate people about what the new legislation is about and would entail (Not taking away all guns, the goal is to reduce harm by limiting easy access to the criminal and irresponsible)

Reinforcing, enhancing, and mandating back ground checks for the purchase of a gun.

Immediate destruction of any weapon, ammunition, etc. used or acquired illegally.

Limiting the amount of legal ammunition that can be bought and retained.

Buyback programs - to get rid of or lower the number of midnight specials, assault weapons, etc.

All gun owners would need to pass a test of competence and responsibility to get a gun licence (part of which would be to pass a psychological evaluation)

A gun owner would need an up to date licence and insurance to carry on owning a gun (been found owning a gun without these will result in fine or and been banned from owning a gun).

Mandatory records of all sells or transfers of all firearms and immediate destruction of any that are discovered to be not recorded.

Any gun kept at home, place of work or in a motor vehicle would have to be held in a secure manner (eg safe or other secure locking system).

People that didn’t have an approved system would not be allowed to own a gun.

If a person loses or has their gun stolen, and it is shown that they did not show due diligence in securing their weapon they would be subject to a fine and/or banned from owning a gun.

Any guns would have to be presented for inspection 6 months after purchase then again one year after purchase and then every five years after that. Not presenting the gun would result in a fine losing the owner’s gun license (to deter straw purchases)

If the gun has been lost or stolen and that has not been reported that would result in a heavy fine and/or custodial sentence.

These would be national laws the same through all the states and a Federal department would be set up to monitor them and make sure they are been enforced equally throughout the country.

The fines raised and a tax on firearms manufactures would be used to offset cost of these programmes.

These are just suggestions and if people think of improvements please post your ideas.

10. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Why was the 2nd amendment written?

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Just another day in 'Murica.

After all, you need a semiautomatic rifle, a shotgun and four handguns, just to go shopping these days.... You know, "for protection"

Atlanta man arrested with 6 guns, body armor at Publix grocery store

12. wrat1

wrat1 Members

your question asked when it was ok to kill cops and citizens the 2nd amendment says nothing about this

I have no answer

lack of education?

again imo and the wording and time frame would appear to back me up
    the 2nd amendment was created solely to prevent the government from harming its citizens by giving them the means to protect themselves.
    it sounds so trite but the fact is when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns, criminals dont pay attention to laws.

Ive chosen not to own a gun and fact is it could be to our detriment we are pretty rural and it would take at least 20 min or more for any sort of police to locate us, I do however like the choice of being able after filing out some paperwork the option of purchasing a gun.

why do you need a license to drive but any moron can have kids?

13. wrat1

wrat1 Members

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

You said ‘The 2nd amendment was written in order to protect citizens from a tyrannical government’ – again if people have guns to protect against tyranny at some point that would entail them using them against others so when do they begin shooting people?

You don’t know when guns should be used - if ever – so what is the point of having them to counter tyranny

So you want people that don’t know if something is tyrannical or not to decide what is tyrannical – how does that work?

Which brings us back to when the guns would be used to kill political opponents?

Well first this is not about banning guns and is about trying to lessen the number that get into criminals’ hands as most of those are bought legally.

But again you still don’t seem able to explain why you think guns are effective against tyranny – when you don’t seem to be able to say when they would be used and that traditionally in the US that hasn’t been the case?

SaraSara likes this.
  15. wrat1

wrat1 Members

so you are trying to say that criminals are buying guns legally?

what I said was the 2nd amendment was intended to protect citizens from a tyrannical government,
    "The Second Amendment, ratified in 1791, was proposed by James Madison to allow the creation of civilian forces that can counteract a tyrannical federal government."

what I think does not matter in context of the 2nd amendment and its stated purpose

Just because I have no answer does not make it right or wrong just that fortunately I have not been placed in that situation

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

I said legally bought guns get into the hands of criminals according to the FBI this is usually through getting others to purchase them or through theft.

But again you still don’t seem able to explain why you think guns would be effective against tyranny – when you don’t seem to be able to say when they would be used and that traditionally in the US that hasn’t been the case?

Citation needed – I can’t find this. And I’d counter that traditionally in the US that has not happened even in cases like the treatment of Black citizens where tyranny was very apparent. So if this was the intention it failed and therefore it is not fit for purpose.

So you are saying you have no rational or reasonable argument in support of the Second Amendment – which begs the question why do you support it?

17. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Second Amendment | Text, Meaning, Definition, & History | Britannica
    "The Second Amendment, ratified in 1791, was proposed by James Madison to allow the creation of civilian forces that can counteract a tyrannical federal government. Anti-Federalists believed that a centralized standing military, established by the Constitutional Convention, gave the federal government too much power and potential for violent oppression."

I support the 2nd amendment because I like choice.

As to the treatment of black citizens and tyranny against them was this perpetuated by and large BY THE GOVERNMENT or by groups such as the KKK etc?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  18. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Why Did I like it ? Why is it important to you to know that , ( But probably that I agree with her ! ) Happy now ?

19. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

The Second Amendment was enacted with British tyranny in mind; however, the Americans used it immediately to keep the Negros slaves in slavery, and to eradicate the Indian tribes. In Texas during the early 1800s. the Texas Rangers and ranchers rode into Indian villages with their guns and shot the natives at point blank range. That is how the Comanche Wars started. In Colorado, the Chivington Massacre at Sand Creek was carried out by an armed militia. The White gangsters of the Order used guns to kill radio talk show host Allen Berg in Denver. IMG_20210324_0001.jpg

granite45 likes this.
  20. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Very true and unfortunate, the US was created by and steeped in violence deception and lies and its not getting better , Human Beings are greedy selfish animals
    Dont forget that plenty of Africans sold out their fellow Africans, and many Indians did the same