Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Many like to believe that getting rid of guns will stop the shooting, killing, murders ,

The US has many city’s with “NO guns” laws on the books , take Detroit for example and look up how many people are shot-killed daily in that city , nothing is ever on the news about the dozens victims each weekend,

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Law abiding gun owners don't necessarily have to "license, register, insure, and have demonstrated that I have sufficient education and competency to operate."
    For that to apply we would have to consider the jurisdiction of residence of the gun owner, age, legal and mental status, and type of gun you are talking about.

Here in PA I can own many types of guns with no registration at all required, I can buy and sell many types of guns with no licensed buyer or seller involved, and I don't have to demonstrate any education or competency at all. I do however have to fulfill all of those requirements if I wish to take a vehicle out in public.

3. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Are you happy with the Pa gun laws ?

4. MeAgain

Which PA gun laws?

5. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

The lack of Pa gun laws, are you happy about it , or would you rather the laws were more inline with NY ?

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

But how do you decide?

I mean a different perspective or opinion doesn’t mean it is an accurate perspective or opinion.

For example - if one side says that covid is no more dangerous than the flu and another says it is much more dangerous than the flu – how do you decide?

It one side says climate change isn’t real and others say it is - how do you decide?

If one side says voter laws are not about voter suppression and the other says it is - how do you decide?

To me a lot of rolling news coverage is about entertainment rather than been informative, it can be, but it is limited, and I often go back to reading about things in places that can go into more context and detail, with citations and suggested further reading.

It should also be realised that the vast majority of the mainstream media (especially in the US) are wealth owned and operated and have a bias and agenda that is capitalistic in nature, so while say CNN and Fox may seem to have differing perspectives, they are at their core hewn from the same rock.

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

Have you read the thread – I ask because many of the things you have brought up have already been covered.

Not sue if you mean domestic abuse specifically or criminal behaviour in general.

You could look at the proposals in post 37

In general, it is about trying to limit the possibility of guns falling into the hands of the irresponsible or criminal. In specifics to me if there is even a hint of domestic abuse taking place then the perpetrator should not be allowed to own a gun, and social services should be involved (counselling, anger management training, publicly funded refuges for victims etc) – for as I’ve said in post 157 - to tackle the gun issue it needs a holistic approach it is not just about gun control laws but things like healthcare reform, drug policy reform and welfare reform.

As has been already explained - given that the US does not have state border checks guns can easily travel around the US that is why gun control supporters what Federal laws rather than local ones.

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

I would also like to go back to something from an earlier post that might be helpful to get an understanding of your position.

Given your circumstance I can see that you might be afraid enough to wish to be armed, but what if circumstances were different or changed so that the fear associated with it was removed, would you then stop having a gun?

MeAgain likes this.
  9. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

You keep using the word “Afraid” is that what you think people are that own a weapon, Afraid ?

10. MeAgain

You aren't being specific and I dislike that as you are making me do all the work in regards to addressing this issue, but anyway.....
    I will assume you don't know the laws of either state in much detail as you aren't being specific, and I'll assume you are talking about New York state and not the city as such.

As you have failed to cite any laws I'll go over them as per Wikipedia, I'm not taking the time to go into greater depth.

1. Neither state requires a state permit to purchase a long gun.

2. PA does not require a state permit to purchase a handgun,
    NY does. I like NY's law better.

3. PA does not require any gun to be registered. No gun I have ever owned in PA has been registered.
    NY requires registration of all handguns and rifles classified as assault weapons. I like NY's law better.

4. PA has no assault weapons laws at all. (Although I do believe sawed off shotguns are restricted and some other things like that but no assault weapons are defined.)
    New York outlaws all assault weapons except those acquired before 2013 which have been properly registered, and antiques. Law enforcement excluded. I like NY's law better.

5. PA has no magazine size restriction,
    NY restricts magazine capacity to ten rounds. Registered antiques and law enforcement excluded. I like NY's law better.

6. PA does not require any owner's license.
    NY requires all handgun owners to be licensed under on of three types of license. Licensee must be at least 21. Law enforcement excluded. I like NY's law better.

7. Both states require a concealed carry license but NY's is much tougher. I like NY's law better.

8. PA allows open carry except for a loaded gun in a vehicle or during a state of emergency. No age limit is proscribed.
    NY does not allow open carry loaded weapons except for hunting and on one's own property. I like NY's law better.

9. PA has a stand you ground law.You never have retreat in any circumstance anywhere. I believe this was recently added as previously if you had an escape you could not use lethal force.
    NY allows lethal force only during a burglary or defense of premises. I like NY's law better.

10. No cities, etc. may overrule the state in PA.
    In NY they may. I like NY's law better.

11. PA does not follow the National Firearms Act.
    NY does. I like NY's law better.

12. In PA non residents may carry weapons with a valid home state permit.
    NY places restricts on some types of weapons. I like NY's law better.

13. PA requires background checks only for pistols. Transfer of pistols privately must be done through a registered dealer with a background check. However, no check or registration is required between certain relatives. As no registration of pistols is required, pistols may easily travel through a chain of relatives to anyone anywhere. Long guns may be transferred by anyone anywhere at any time. Any type of long gun may be purchased at any flea market by anyone. I have passed tables of long guns of all types at flea markets.
    In NY all transactions of any weapon must be done through a registered dealer with a background check and a record must be kept by the state. I like NY's law better.

14. PA has no Red Flag law NY does. I like NY's law better.

I'm not going to get into hunting laws.

PA ranks 27th out of 50 for deaths by gun per 100,000 from 2008 to 2017.
    NY ranks 47th out of 50 for deaths by gun per 100,000 from 2008 to 2017. Only Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Hawaii were lower.

11. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I did not ask you to get into any detail about Pa or NY gun laws I asked a question, You Assumed , I do not know the laws

12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

Well, those that get a gun because they fear being attacked would seem to define the definition of being afraid

Some have told me that they just want to be prepared but the only reason they feel the need to be prepared is because they fear being attacked.

Others (like yourself) say ‘better to have and not need than to need and not have“ - but again I would opinion that they only feel the need to have because they fear being attacked.

People that aren’t afraid of being attacked don’t feel they need weapons.

And in the same way it would seem to go in degrees – the most fearful would wish to have the most dangerous weapon.

How else would you describe it?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

In 2015, David Hemenway, director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, and Sara Solnick, an economist at the University of Vermont, analyzed national government surveys involving more than 14,000 people and reported that guns are used for self-protection in less than 1 percent of all crimes that take place in the presence of a victim. They also found that people were more likely to be injured after threatening attackers with guns than they were if they had called the police or run away.
    Meanwhile, in a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1993, researchers found that having a gun in the home was linked with nearly three times higher odds that someone would be killed at home by a family member or intimate acquaintance. Studies using more recent data have come to the same conclusion. In a 2019 study, researchers found that states with high levels of household gun ownership have more domestic gun homicides than other states do. In fact, the states with the highest rates of gun ownership have 65% more domestic gun homicides than the states with the least.
    In another study published this June in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers followed more than 26 million adults in California for up to 12 years, keeping track of whether they purchased handguns and if they died by suicide. They found that men who had purchased handguns were then more than three times as likely to die by suicide — primarily gun suicide — compared with men who hadn’t bought handguns, and that women who’d purchased handguns were more than seven times as likely to die by suicide as women who hadn’t bought handguns (this is what happens when you get your information from sources other than the arms dealers and their lobbyists).

So much for any rational argument that owning firearms for defense makes you safer.
    What you're left with is the irrational; subjective emotions and subconscious, lizard-brain imperatives, which by nature don't give a shit about empiricism and are wholly impervious to analytic reason.

If it was simply a matter of a dispassionate cost-benefit analysis, folks would turn off the police dramas and evening news (why do you think it's called "programming"?), meditate for twenty minutes, have a nice cup of chamomile, and crawl under a heavy comforter for the night...and arguably be the happier (and safer) as a result.

scratcho, Tyrsonswood and Balbus like this.
  14. MeAgain

Yes I assumed you did not know the laws as you would not specify any of the laws.
    At any rate, I hope I answered your question.
    Now, my question to you is why did you ask me the question?

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  15. MeAgain

I have to disagree with you on one point, "People that aren’t afraid of being attacked don’t feel they need weapons."
    There are many people who feel they need weapons as an offensive tool. They may feel they need them for an actual attack or as an intimidation device. Some "militia" members and other anti government, anti social, anti racial groups, or otherwise anti groups fall into this category.

16. DarthDva

DarthDva Members

Not sure why people seem prejudice of lizards, what is wrong with lizard brains.

I can also say the same of the left, the motive to ban guns is hysterical and fear driven as well. Creating "gun-free" zones is not based on logic but just an invitation for more shooters to target those zones.

A 2013 study ordered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and conducted by the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council found that:

Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence... Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million...in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008... On the other hand, some scholars point to a radically lower estimate of only 108,000 annual defensive uses based on the National Crime Victimization Survey...”

More People Use a Gun in Self-Defense Each Year Than Die in Car Accidents | Mark W. Smith

As for suicide people should have the right to suicide. As for domestic gun homicides, if their family is that dysfunctional and toxic that they decide to shoot each other on purpose, such as shooting toxic abusers, then at least they are no longer spreading in the future and/or reducing the net amount of suffering in the world. Probably 30% or more of the victims are innocent victims, which is unfortunate but they would probably be killed anyway by other means, are we going to ban knives as well?

I am anti-news as well but crimes aren't just caused by mainstream media. There are significant economic problems and there will always be crimes in America until economic problems, such as taxing the poor and middle class, are reduced. There is class conflict, not between proletariat and bourgeois, but between the political/banker/megacorporation class and the poor/middleclass.

Hmm finally a post from you I can agree with.

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

MeAgain

I was just about to post on that very matter

For what you are saying is the opposite side of the same coin

In that those that believe the best way to deal with the fear of attack is to have a very dangerous weapon to hand are basically expressing the view that violence, intimidation and suppression are legitimate means of social control

So for some with that mentality that wish to steer society to their own liking are likely to turn to iintimidation to bring that about and also, it can also lead to people not wondering what the causes of the fear they feel might be and tackling them – but rather only thinking about how to deal with the symptoms through initiation

So the reaction to the fear of a violent society is to get a gun (and support draconian laws and brutal prisons) rather than thinking why is my society so violent.

18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Post 133

The Defensive Gun Use arguement - is actually very bad for the pro-gun lobby if you just think about it for a minute

The argument is that guns are good at tackling crime

But it has already been established that the general crime rates of the US are not that different than other comparable countries with much lower levels of gun ownership or eaase of access to guns.

But if guns are good at tackling crime - then the US with its much much higher rates of gun ownership and ease of access to firearms should have much lower rates of crime than places witthout.

But it doesn't - in other words ease of access to guns doesn’t seem to relate to lower general crime rates.

Some gun people argue that these crimes stopped by DGU are not reported - but if that's the case then the US has higher crime rates than comparable countries that don’t have guns so actually they are doing a lot better at tackling crime than the US with guns.

But the US has vastly greater gun related deaths and injuries compared to those countries where ease of access to guns is lower.

So ease of access to guns doesn’t seem to tackle crime but does increase the likelihood of people getting killed or injured by a gun.

Any rational and reasonable person would conclude that it would be better to take ease of access to guns out of the equation when tackling crime, for both law enforces and citizenry

MeAgain likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Your Lizard Brain
    When you get an education, get back to us. Until then, please remain seated at the children's table, and don't interrupt the adults when they're talking.

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  20. DarthDva

DarthDva Members

Not sure why you feel shame about the part of brain that is devoted to survival. Without it mammals wouldn't even exist. Maybe you and Nature had a divorce?

Not to pull the race card but I'm sick of arrogant wypipo belliting me all the time, esp. leftists.