Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

A fire extinguisher and a spare tire are not weapons specifically designed to maim and kill other human beings.

I don’t have a fire extinguisher in my house I think we do in the car but that’s because that’s the law in some European countries although I haven’t seen it for a while so we may have lost it.

I have a smoke alarm because of house insurance and because if fire happened and you were asleep then you could be dead from the smoke a long time before you could use the extinguisher.

Thing is that a lot of time and effort is spent trying to limit risk in such areas often involving laws and regulation. For example, fire regulations in buildings and for manufactured goods are about limiting the risk of fire, work and public places have more regulation attached to limit fire risk. I’ve been taught how to use a fire extinguisher for my work, but the advice of fire fighters is to get out and leave it to the professional whenever possible.

Thing is that I don’t fear being ‘attacked’ so much by a fire that I feel the need to have a fire extinguisher to hand.

You've said you specifically have a gun because you fear your fellow humans (because you have seen firsthand what your fellow man is capable of) – and for that reason you fear they will attack you.

Why do you have such high levels of fear of other people that you feel you need the reassurance of a gun for defence

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  2. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

What is a real American to you ?

So when the “bump” happens you’re counting on your fellow man to be nice and walk away ?

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

You are saying you are so frightened all the time that if you hear a bump in the night you instantly reach for a gun because you think someone is going to try and kill you?

If me and my wife hear a bump in the night we presume its the cat turn over and go back to sleep.

It really is not good for your mental health to have that level of fear all the time

Flagme15, MeAgain and Piobaire like this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Occam's Razor.
    The chance that the Boogeyman has come to kill us all is astronomically remote. We're more likely to die in our beds from old age first.
    As Balbus pointed out, it's highly probable that "bump in the night" is the cat...or a fox, racoon, possum, owl, bear, deer, turkey, bobcat, flying squirrel...none of which are armed or require an armed response from me.

5. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

You believe that people that have a firearm/s are frightened of someone/something, that is the reason for gun ownership ?

6. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

You are right the odds of the boogeyman showing up is incredibly small,

What is your plan if the boogeyman did pick your house tonight ?

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

It was the reason I asked the question you still haven’t really addressed yet -

‘Why do you feel so scared that you feel you really need the reassurance of a gun for defence - what or who are you so frightened of?’

I mean the fire extinguisher thing didn’t really stand up and you have said you fear your fellow citizens because ‘you have seen firsthand what your fellow man is capable of’ and implied that you go for a gun if you just as much hear any bump in the night, so you do come across as someone who is deeply afraid.

So I‘m asking is that why you feel you really need the reassurance of a gun?

8. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

PM incoming

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

So Ok lets say you have this scared and frightened person who feels they need a gun as protection against the ‘boogeyman’

As said having that level of fear all the time is not going to be good for that persons mental health and having a gun is not going to stop them from been frightened and scared only that now they have a gun that what we have is a in the community is frightened and scared person with a gun.

And I’m guessing that since they have got a gun so easily then they are going to think that other people (that they already fear) you could also have guns – even further heightening their own levels of fear.

That is not the recipe for a health society

Wouldn’t it be better to try and actually do something to try and lessen the levels of fear?

MeAgain likes this.
  10. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

What do you believe would lesson the fear ?

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

We could have examine that if you had been willing to answered the question, but you are now pleading special circumstance so let us expand it by asking in your opinion why you think others are so scared that they feel the need for a gun to potect them - what do you think they are so frightened of?

Do you think all those that have guns have the same problems and circumstance that you have? If you didn’t have your special circumstance would you feel no need for a gun?

I don’t feel threatened so don’t feel so afraid that I think I need a gun for protection why do you think that is?

12. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Some people do get a weapon for personal protection, ex spouse abuse is very high on the list, as for assuming people are afraid of something/someone that is a option.

Many people enjoy shooting sports and purchase a firearm for enjoyment, while others enjoy collecting

A couple of examples

13. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I’m sure you watch the news , if you watch something other than cnn or msn you will get a different perspective on things,

CNN / MSN for example will fan the fire, calling a burning building/cars etc a mostly peaceful protest

Bad news sells always has, the various news agency’s will feed disinformation to promote fear

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

The problem with domestic disputes and abuse is that it is seldom improved by the introduction of firearms.

Every month, an average of 53 women are shot and killed by an intimate partner. Nearly 1 million women alive today have reported being shot or shot at by intimate partners, and 4.5 million women have reported being threatened with a gun by an intimate partner. In more than half of mass shootings over the past decade, the perpetrator shot a current or former intimate partner or family member as part of the rampage. The ripple effects of firearms in the hands of an abuser extend far beyond the intimate relationship—affecting children who witness or live with it and the family members, coworkers, and law enforcement officers who respond to it.

Studies have shown that the top reason for having a gun is for protection (48% only 7% for target/sports shooting, 2% collecting Pew 2013)

MeAgain and Piobaire like this.
  15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

Who do you suggest people watch?

16. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Agreed,

But what would you do to stop this from happening ?

17. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I watch various news channels and think/decide for my self , why is CNN saying one thing and Fox News is saying something the opposite , while maybe a different news has a different perspective

18. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I don’t have a problem with background checks if you are purchasing a firearm.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Kind of like killer bees, being hit by a falling piece of Skylab, or winning the Lottery, there's a limited number of contingencies I feel the need to prepare for.

20. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I hope only the best for you Sir