Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

Why do you feel so scared that you feel you really need the reassurance of a gun for defence - what or who are you so frightened of?

I live in London and I don’t feel so scared.

2. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Is there anyplace-areas you avoid in London ?

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The FedEx shooter in Indianapolis legally purchased the rifles used in that shooting... Even after having problems in the past with the FBI and police.

But, hey... it's all good, 2nd amendment and all that shit.

"Thoughts and Prayers" but we can't talk about guns right after a shooting... (there has been 147 mass shootings so far in 2021... No time for talking)

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I'd like to see your weapon's registration and proof of insurance, please.
    As for a documenting "sufficient education and competency", a CCP, which many states (including mine) are trying to rescend, Florida requires only 4 hours of instruction, precisely 1,496 less hours than that required by the State to demonstrate that you're sufficiently competent, sane, and morally upstanding enough to give me a haircut.
    Somebody might was well write it out on the back of a bar napkin.

I don't know about you, but I'm nowhere near as concerned with a bad haircut as with some angry incompetent dimwit with a perpetual chip on their shoulder and a 9 mm Glock with a handful of 33 round extended magazines.

Tyrsonswood and Balbus like this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

None come to mind and I’m supposedly in a high crime area

So can you answer the questions - Why do you feel so scared that you feel you really need the reassurance of a gun for defence - what or who are you so frightened of?

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

This is something I posted this a few years ago but it gives an idea

I live in London it has a population of around 7.5 million and it only had 175 homicides between Apr-2005 to Apr-2006. In fact in 2009 there were only 651 murders in the whole of England and Wales with a population of around 55 million.

But let us take an American city – Philadelphia* – it I believe has a population of around 6.1 million yet it had 406 homicides in that same year. So two Philadelphia’s with only 12.2 million people would create 812 murders, more than what is produced by 55 million Brits.

So the question is are Americans more murderous or is it just that Americans have easier access to much more lethal weapons?

*I was comparing a couple of urban areas of roughly the same size and population density

Philadelphia - population density of 11,457 people per square mile
    London - population density of 11,760 people per square mile

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

If you can't go get a cup of coffee unarmed, you're not a patriot exercising your 2nd Amendment rights, you're a goddamned coward.
    Real Americans don't arm themselves against their fellow citizens.

8. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Excellent answer Sir, one that my only comment is he was investigated by the FBI ? After a family member called stating they thought he was suicidal and that he had a shotgun, and that he may commit suicide by cop, The FBI investigation cleared him.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Oh; so it's all good. I'm quite sure that will be a great comfort to his victim's families...that his right to own a mass-murder machine (plural; two of them) supersedes their loved one's right not to get massacred and reduced to a steaming pile of lifeless bloody meat on the floor.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  10. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

@Piobaire

I have seen firsthand what our fellow man is capable of , You ?

11. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Punish everyone for his and others actions, confiscation of all weapons is your answer or just the ones you don’t like?

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Yeah; I know good and goddamned well what a 5.56 does to the human body...funny; to the "target" downrange, it doesn't matter a good goddamn if it was a round from an AR-15 or an M-16 (I've fired both).
    Not just seen it; I can still smell it in my dreams.

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Toe

LOL sorry do you work in fortune cookie factory – cos I think that’s a reject

I ask again - Why do you feel so scared that you feel you really need the reassurance of a gun for defence - what or who are you so frightened of?

14. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

If you have seen the carnage firsthand then you know what your fellow citizens are capable of doing to one another

It is your decision to do as you wish, as it is mine

15. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Frightened, no , I have a fire extinguisher, and a spare tire in my vehicle, do I expect to need them, no, but if needed they are available, what is the saying, “ better the have and not need than to need and not have “

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Going to a gunfight? The average civilian firefight involves three rounds at a range of three meters. Really need a weapon for self defense? .357 or 1911A1, not a high-cap assault rifle or a hand-held version of same.
    Going deer hunting? Pro tip; deer don't shoot back. Any modern variant of the 03A3 or Mauser 98 with a blind box magazine and three rounds. Can't bag a deer with three rounds? Go home and play Nintendo.
    Upland bird hunting? Side-by-side or over-and-under, your choice. If it's still flying after two rounds, it's out of range; firing a semi-auto or pump at it like an anti-aircraft gun won't help.
    Want to Rambo-cosplay and carry an assault rifle? There's a recruitin' sergeant in that little office next to the Shop n' Save who'd just love to hook you up.
    Look, ma; gun ownership with no assault weapons!

Ban civilian ownership of weapons of mass death.
    Register them.
    License them.
    De jure locked storage with ammo stored separately.
    "Red Flag" laws.
    Simple common sense.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Tyrsonswood likes this.
  17. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Do you own what you just discussed, is that what you are putting in your hand when your wife awakens you in the middle of the night when she hears a bump ?

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

If "enhanced background checks" means "confiscation of all weapons" to somebody... then maybe that somebody should not own a gun.

Flagme15 and Piobaire like this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Nope. As I said before; real Americans don't arm themselves against their fellow citizens.
    I'm also able to understand other's legitimate needs for gun ownership without feeling the need to own one myself.
    Having had my right shoulder surgically reconstructed, the thought of a long weapon's recoil is quite an unpleasant one...makes my shoulder ache just to contemplate it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Flagme15 likes this.
  20. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I agree, not everyone should be able to own a gun, but who makes the that decision ?