Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had to buy guns to protect myself from people that love guns….

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    ~Zen~ and scratcho like this.
  2. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

When the average, law-abiding American has to BUY guns in order to protect himself from unsavory characters WITH guns, man, it just shows haw insane our nation has become.:(

In the next few years, don't be surprised to see pre-school "alphabet" books such as this appearing on the shelves:

"A" is for AMMO

"B" is for BULLETS

"C" is for CARTRIDGES

"D"is for DEATH

How sorry I feel for the young children today, growing up in such an insane, violent, gun-grazed society........:oops:

"Live long and prosper"

MeAgain, ~Zen~ and Eric! like this.
  3. Eric!

Hopefully it doesn’t get that bad…..but we truly aren’t far from it. There are people out there that want it that way…..

~Zen~ and scratcho like this.
  4. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

I hear you.

Recall in the 1970 sequel to "Planet Of The Apes", "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes", where a race of telepathic mutants were worshiping the "Alpha-Omega" bomb, on the altar of the what remained of St. Patrick's Cathedral?

Think about it.....far too much of our society practically WORSHIPS weapons........IMHO, those "Planet Of The Apes" films spoke MANY volumes, and spoke VERY eloquently on the condition of the human race.

Cornelius, reading from the Sacred Scrolls:

Beware the beast Man

For he is the Devil's spawn

Alone among God's primates

He kills for sport, or lust, or greed.

Yea, he will murder his brother to pocsess his brother's land

Dr. Zaius (to Taylor):

"(Man) is a warlike creature that does battle with everything around him, even himself!"

This is INDEED frightening, when one reflects on today's violent, gun-crazed society.

And, to think, this sci-fi classic debuted FIFTY-FIVE years ago!

Scary.......

"Live long and prosper"

Eric! and ~Zen~ like this.
  5. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

God, this is getting so damn disgusting.......

ANOTHER mass shooting to report, this one at the Michigan State University.

Three dead, at least five wounded.

This damn gun insanity is as much a deadly plague (if not even deadlier) as Covid-19..............:(

"Live long and prosper"

Eric! likes this.
  6. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Just learned that the (deceased) gunman in the mass shooting at Michigan State had also planned to target two New Jersey schools......:(

"Live long and prosper"

7. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

All if you push the right buttons. Even us hippies.

scratcho and Piobaire like this.
  8. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Sadly, another mass shooting to report, this one in El Paso, Texas.:mad:

At last report, one dead, three injured.............:(

"Live long and prosper"

9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

ANOTHER mass shooting.......six people now reported dead in a rural Mississippi town.

My sincerest sympathies and prayers are with their loved ones.........

"Live long and prosper"

MeAgain likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I'm a Buddhist and former medic. After considering it deeply, I chose instead to stock my "jump bag" with Israeli field dressings, Combat Gauze, CAT tourniquets, & chest seals; enough for your average mass shooting (9; with 61% mortality).

Mass Shootings in America

12. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

....you have made us even more painfully aware of just how tragic everyday life in our country has become, with gun violence and mass shootings now almost an everyday happening.

It HAS to be beyond heartbreaking for a parent today, sending their child off to school, and then praying that they will return home safely in the afternoon.

And we call ourselves a CIVILIZED society?

We are, indeed, heading back to the Dark Ages, total and complete lawlessness, no regard for others and their well-being and safety.

So many factors today have helped to virtually eradicate all traces of "innocence" from the lives of our nations's children......

"Live long and prosper"

MeAgain likes this.
  13. Eric!

Smart!! Not often during those situations will someone, with your level of medical experience and expertise, might be present if the situation arises. That actually sounds like a brilliant idea- and I was just thinking about this as I read your post and asked myself: is there any emphasis put on teaching organizations, that have a plan for reacting to active shooter scenarios- do they incorporate and get staff personnel certified in first aid training?? Yes, for the military side of the house, but what about the schools staff and administration, nightclub staff, vendors at the mall, etc. and anywhere else that can be a target-rich environment for an active shooter? The things that can be done when the immediate threat has ceased, can seriously save lives, and are very, very, basic. Stop the bleeding and CPR, being the key basic lifesaving tasks, and doesn’t require a lot of resources- just a willing, able, committed human being. Of course there won’t always be immediate access to bandages and tourniquets in a medical bag, but people can be taught to improvise and use what’s readily available. And just doing basic CPR steps can do wonders before the first responders get there. Something to really think about.

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Actually, the chances of surviving a traumatic cardiac arrest are essentially zero. In a mass casualty event, you don't do CPR. You reposition their airway; if they don't start breathing, you move on. Some will die no matter what you do; you leave them alone. Some will survive without any assistance from you; you leave them alone, too. Some will die or suffer serious disability without your help. Focus on those.
    I remember reading of a mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio; an RN was being hailed as a hero for doing CPR on corpses that were lined up under blankets. Her efforts and expertise would've been much better spent looking instead for someone with life-threatening bleeding. As you say; training.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

DHS Active Shooter Booklet

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I remember the Lubys cafeteria shooting----one woman that survived lamented that she had left her gun in her car.

17. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

....a friend just informed me that he just heard on the news that a Catholic Bishop was shot and killed on Saturday in Los Angeles County, just blocks from his church.

A person of interest has been detained.

Dear God in Heaven, this HAS to stop........

"Live long and prosper"

Eric! likes this.
  18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Highly volatile is anger, How peaceful are you?

19. Eric!

Yes indeed. How to properly triage would be a significant training event that should seriously be considered.

Piobaire and GrayGuy57 like this.
  20. Eric!

Yep, as I said before, no emphasis on “buddy aid” if the situation presents itself. It needs to be taken into consideration, planned for, implemented into the training and drilled.

GrayGuy57 likes this.