Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To add to my post 2409----In addition to monitoring and helping children with mental health services, this country should make a few less tanks, guns, airplanes and other weapons of war, and put the money saved towards expanding FREE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES to ALL adults in need of mental help. If people are in need, they should be able to easily and promptly get help and if those around potentially dangerous people exhibiting signs of troubling / troubled behavior--the potentially dangerous should be involuntarily committed and treated / helped. These rampant, murderous results of unstable people that resort to murdering innocent people has TO BE STOPPED. Thoughts and prayers don't mean shit--action is needed. Guns are NOT going away--our legislators have seen to that proposition and will continue to do so.

MeAgain and thepapasmurph like this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

“Only 3%-5% of violent acts can be attributed to individuals living with a serious mental illness. In fact, people with severe mental illnesses are over 10 times more likely to be victims of violent crime than the general population.”

I wish people would stop demonizing the mentally ill by conflating mental illness with violence. The correlation is not true.

Mental Illness, Mass Shootings, and the Politics of American Firearms

Violence and mental illness: an overview

MeAgain and Tyrsonswood like this.
  3. scratcho

Well I would say that anyone that takes a gun and slaughters innocent people has a serious mental problem. I called them unstable , as you can see from my post. Obviously not everyone that has mental problems will resort to violence. There are signs by those close to those with a propensity for violence personally and on the internet.

4. scratcho

It is said that there are 400 million guns in private hands now. What a strange group of people we are.;)

5. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How many of those 400 million guns are at risk to commit violence?

6. Piney

An acquaintance asked me to purchase ammunition for his gun. I thought: why dont you just buy it yourself,..... then it hit me that this guy must be a felon. I refused.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I would add that those who parade around with open carry guns, think they have to carry a concealed weapon every time they leave their house, and stockpile assault weapons and ammunition also have mental problems.

Calmerchameleon and Tyrsonswood like this.
  8. MeAgain

400 million.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  9. MeAgain

Whatever that means.

10. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just how many mass shootings, mistaken ID killings, innocent bystanders slayings, and plain ol accidents will it take for the gun extremists, and ordinary people to realize they have been duped by the gun industry and NRA? That we could set the clock back to about 1955 before explosion of lethal weapons with no other use than to kill people…lots of them. Nobody wants to confiscate legitimate hunting and target guns….it’s the Glocks, 30 shot and more, military style assault weapons, and cheap “Saturday night specials” that can be eliminated to make us all safer.

MeAgain likes this.
  11. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Super Moderator Super Moderator

I follow the logic that if anyone is determined to murder someone they will figure out a way to do it - gun or not. But, that's not the point - unless, there is other data proving this - In America, where there are more guns that humans, and there are daily shootings of said guns - no matter the type - compared to statistics of other countries - it would seem there is something deeply out of balance in America. And what are we, or our representatives, going to do about it?

12. Piney

A Person just has to put on the Insurance Underwriter hat to make a simple estimate of risk factors for firearms. a back-of the napkin question.

I do support mandated insurance for firearms. ( Like cars.) Would be a tough sell though, with so so many un-registered firearms, who would not be paying insurance permiums into the pool.

Let me ask it this way.

Which is more dangerous?

A loaded weapon sitting in a drawer in a nightable next to a bed, OR

The same weapon/caliber in the same Zip Code. Locked up in a cabinet. Unloaded, with a trigger guard. ? ?

13. Piney

[QUOTE="]Just how many mass shootings, mistaken ID killings, innocent bystanders slayings, and plain ol accidents will it take for the gun extremists, and ordinary people to realize they have been duped by the gun industry and NRA? That we could set the clock back to about 1955 before explosion of lethal weapons with no other use than to kill people…lots of them. Nobody wants to confiscate legitimate hunting and target guns….it’s the Glocks, 30 shot and more, military style assault weapons, and cheap “Saturday night specials” that can be eliminated to make us all safer.[/QUOTE]

We have been duped by George Soros, Left Wing prosecutors and District Attorneys who are soft on crime. Cash bail is cancelled. Juvenille murderers are sent to family court. In New York there is a crisis with Juvenille killers and juvenille victims.

Established criminals will delegate a hit to a juvenille due to a known lack of consequences.

I do apoligise for all of the Right Wing talking points and dont want to attack my fellow forum members.

had just listened to Jeannine Piro on Fox, a former District Attorney who stated the case simply and clearly.
    The real Jeannine is better than the SLN version.

14. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Super Moderator Super Moderator

Well, @Piney you make a good point in NY. Laws are meant to protect but also designed to be fair... but we just experienced a heart-breaking incident in Syracuse - murder of an 11-year-old girl who got hit by a bullet. One of the boys being charged is a 16-year-old who was on a furlough from the juvenile facility. The other two are 18 and 20 years old. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time - simply walking home from the store after going to get a gallon of milk.

Piney likes this.
  15. MeAgain

What are you saying? Are you saying that gun violence is due to a lack of punishment for those who commit crimes involving guns or that we don't have enough gun laws?
    Are you blaming liberals and democrats?
    Republicans Complain About Violent Crime, But They Don’t Want to Talk About The Cause

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

17. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

I don't believe this.......

ANOTHER mass shooting just took place in California; this one in an upscale LA neighborhood.

Seven were shot, three fatally.

This is the FOURTH mass shooting in California this month, and we are just a few weeks into the New Year.

God help us all........

"Live long and prosper"

MeAgain likes this.
  18. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

From Eyewitness News....

QUADRUPLE shooting in Baltimore; one fatality.

Three-year old now in the hospital.

Dammit.........

"Live long and prosper"

19. Calmerchameleon

Calmerchameleon Members

Here in my home country, UK, while gun crime is rising, as far as I'm aware there has been zero gun murders so far this year (2023).

"Japan boasts a population of more than 127 million people, yet finished 2019 with a gun death rate of only .02 per 100,000 people. One major factor in this success is that Japan has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world. For Japanese citizens to purchase a gun, they must attend an all-day class, pass a written exam, and complete a shooting range test, scoring at least 95% accuracy. Candidates will also receive a mental health evaluation, performed at a hospital, and will have a comprehensive background check done by the government. Only shotguns and rifles can be purchased. The class and exam must be retaken every three years."

This is no coincidence and puts the US to shame. 0.02 deaths per 100,000 people where guns are available to buy.

All the Americans resisting to change should take a good hard look at themselves and realise they're part of the problem.

MeAgain and GrayGuy57 like this.
  20. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

If Japan has such a tremendously low gun death rate, obviously, they are doing SOMETHING right.

Indeed pathetic that here in US, each passing week seems to bring more mass shootings, and more gun violence in general.

We now live in a VERY unstable society, a society where everyone seems to have a chip on his shoulder, along with with a violent attidude, and a gun.

WHY our lawmakers cannot follow Japan's stunning lead is trotally beyond my comprehension.

STRICT gun control CANNOT be impossible, otherwise the Japanese would NOT have been able to do so.

Our "buck-and-a-half"politicians ought to hang their heads in shame.

WHEN will something FINALLY spark a MASSIVE, STRICT gun control law?

When, God forbid, tragedy hits home, involving the member of a prominent gun advocate's family.

We've sunk so low, on so many levels, in this country, the past several years.

Wake up, politicians, you are helping to destroy of once-great nation, right before our very eyes.

God help today's children.......

"Live long and prosper"

Calmerchameleon likes this.