Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

See:

Gun laws in California - Wikipedia

"Live long and prosper"

2. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

As you know, ever since COVID began, I only venture out once or twice a week to run errands; the rest of the time I stay at home.

These days, you are even afraid of making innocent eye contact with someone, or, (God forbid) accidently brushing against someone, for fear of some sort of "retaliation".

Many stabbings and shootings in the New York subways are the result of someone simply accidently bumping into someone on the platforms or trains, and having the other person "retaliate" with a sucker punch, a knife, or a gun.

I shudder when I recall how many times I innocently bumped into someone on the trains or on the platforms, during my 25 years as a commuter; God only knows what would transpire today, under such circumstances.

When an individual cannot even attend a religious service, or shop at a local store, without the ever-nagging fear of gun violence, it is a VERY sobering sign that we live in a truly dangerous society, indeed......and, sadly, I do not see things getting better any time soon......

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  3. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Think about, also, how many serious altercations take place in front of children and young people during a school sporting event; how many times a we hear of an over-zealous dad assaulting a coach/umpire on the field, when he thinks his youngster was wrongly chastised or benched.

"Gun control".......focus on the word "control".

With our nation, and, indeed, the world, now virtually totally out of control, how can we realistically to be "control" in ANY aspect of daily life.

Back in the day, the only weapons in school were slingshots and beanshooters.

Today, it's various types of firearms, knives, brass knuckles, and god knows what else.

When today's children have to pass through metal detectors when entering their school, you KNOW that, indeed, we have REALLY hit the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

Even the way we think nowadays is totally different than what it once was; wherever we go, even if it is only to the mall, or off on a vacation, you KNOW that the frightening thoughts of some sort of mass shooting is always present in your mind.

It's a vastly different world than us older fellows grew up in, believe me, and, indeed, we are the worse for it......

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Why don't other countries who play the same video games, watch the same movies, and listen to the same music have the gun problems we have?

Vermonstah and Tyrsonswood like this.
  5. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Now THAT, my friend, is indeed "food for thought".......

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  6. MeAgain

Very easily. Thousands of illegal guns are already there, guns come in from out of state, ghost guns are untraceable, and the system is overwhelmed.

Tyrsonswood and GrayGuy57 like this.
  7. MeAgain

Yes, since Reagan gutted the mental health system things have certainly gone down hill, not to mention the republican efforts to screw up what health care we have.

But no one has ever said stricter gun laws will stop all gun violence, that's a stupid idea. No laws ever stop all crime and they don't penalize law-abiding citizens. How could they?

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, MeAgain, I remember when Reagan got that done, resulting in hundreds and hundreds of folks needing mental health roaming the streets of California. What is needed is an EXTENSIVE MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM nationwide, beginning with very young children, to include checking the home life of those youngins' that begin to exhibit troubling behavior at a very young age. Witness the 6 year old that shot his teacher and prior to that, had told her that he wanted to kill her by burning her up. There is always money for tax loopholes and such , but never enough to begin to address the problems of our youth until it's too late. Maybe if the mental health of our citizens was tended to earlier, they wouldn't resort to guns later. But, I don't know--that would take a generation or two, I guess. And some interest.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Just heard on 1010 WINS News Radio (NYC) that a Jersey City (NJ) teacher was shot to death by her husband; her distraught daughter made the 911 call.

The husband has been apprehended and is now facing multiple charges (please, dear God, he gets what he deserves....DON'T let him OUT!)

This is particularly frightening for me, in that I was born in Jersey City, back in 1957, and only live minutes away.

Dammit, it just does not stop.......

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

11. Calmerchameleon

Calmerchameleon Members

Agree or disagree? Guns have made American citizens some of the most paranoid people in the world...

MeAgain likes this.
  12. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

(DUPLICATE POST:sorry)

Just heard on 1010 WINS News Radio (NYC) that a Jersey City teacher was shot to death by her husband; her distraught daughter made the 911 call.

The husband has been apprehended and is now facing multiple charges (please, dear God, he gets what he deserves....DON'T let him OUT!)

This is particularly frightening for me, in that I was born in Jersey City, back in 1957, and only live minutes away.

Dammit, it just does not stop.......

"Live long and prosper"

13. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Statistics like this are both sobering and frightening.

God only knows how many more innocent people will lose their lives in this county, due to gun violence, before 2023 is over.

The insanity and senseless violence simply never ceases........

"Live long and prosper"

14. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

DON'T ever let the world get so bad that you decide to take your own life.

Trust me, I've BEEN there, and it was NOT a pleasant experience, by any means.

Keep the strength as best you can, my friend; I know, in today's insane society, it is MUCH easier said than done..........

"Live long and prosper"

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

16. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

A matter of emotion and opportunity. This shit is never stopping until people calm the fuck down and learn to deal with things.....and then there's the responsibility and accountability portion, too.....starting with parenting.

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  17. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Recall, Cornelius, reading from the Sacred Scrolls ("Planet Of The Apes")

Beware the beast Man

For he is the Devil's spawn

Alone among God's primates

He kills for sport, or lust, or greed

Yea, he will murder his brother to pocess his brother's land
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk about speaking many volumes of truth.......

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  18. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

George Adamson ("Father of Lions") was once (correctly) quoted as saying;

"Man is the most destructive creature on the face of the Earth."

No wonder Mr. Adamson preferred living with lions instead of humans.

And, even more tragically, he was brutally murdered in 1989 by HUMANS..........NOT lions.......

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  19. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

We've abused Mother Earth for far too long, now.

Look at global warming, extreme climate change, insane weather, tornadoes now commonplace in areas that seldom (if ever) saw one, the extreme droughts and flooding out West, not to mention earthquakes.

Yes, Mother Earth is CERTAINLY not in a GOOD frame of mind, nowadays, and not surprising.....

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  20. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Yeah, but it's not.
    Sure sounds peachy,,,

Surplus killing - Wikipedia.