Is it time to talk about guns?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Mar 24, 2021.

1. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A 14-year-old girl was murdered by her father here in Upstate NY - and then he allegedly killed himself. A gun was used to do the task.

2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I think I heard about that,its very sad isnt it???

3. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Not as sad as it would have been if the father had used a hammer.

SexyFirefighter likes this.
  4. thepapasmurph

There are instruments of death that are used that make it a crime of passion - so yeah - a hammer or a knife increases the passion of the violence -
    According to FBI statistics - More than 73 percent (73.7) of the homicides for which the FBI received weapons data in 2019 involved the use of firearms. Handguns comprised 62.1 percent of the firearms used in murder and nonnegligent manslaughter incidents in 2019.
    Another report shows that blunt objects (hammer, for example) were used more frequently than rifles.
    FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8
    Handguns sure seem to be the weapon most often used.

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  5. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

ANOTHER mass shooting to report.....

At least 10 people are dead after a mass shooting at a dance hall in Southern California, as part of the Chinese Lunar New Year.

One witness said he saw the shooter re-loading a semi-automatic weapon.

My God, will this senseless slaughter EVER end????

The deranged suspect is still, sadly, at large.

WHEN....if EVER....will this ALL END??

"Live long and prosper"

6. Calmerchameleon

Calmerchameleon Members

This is so sad. So many senseless deaths. 36th mass shooting this year in the US and we're not in February yet.

The people who deny that there's problem is part of the problem.

Condolences to the victims families.

MeAgain and GrayGuy57 like this.
  7. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Agreed, 100%.

Those highly-misguided people who continue to deny that there is a gun problem ARE, indeed, a HUGE part of the problem.

What REALLY is frightening is that there are so many.....too many.....motives involving mass shootings nowadays.

It is now almost an everyday happening.

Hatred is, truly, like an advanced cancer....it eats away at life, without stopping, causing so much heartache, heartbreak, and carnage.

TOO many highly-unstable individuals today have easy access to guns of all types.....individuals who should not even be permitted to use a knife and a fork, with close supervision.

My sincerest sympathies to all involved in this sensless mass shooting.......

"Live long and propsper'

8. Wolf osix

Wolf osix Members

The USA is out of control. The latest mass shooting surely has to focus peoples minds and say that assault rifles should not be available.

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

It is quite indeed sobering when one stops to think that, these days, assault rifles are almost as easy to purchase as a candy bar at your local store.

Long ago, I heard this statement: "Guns don't kill people. Stupid people who HAVE guns are the real killers."

What it all boils down to is that it is FAR TOO EASY for ANYONE, including MINORS, to purchase firearms.

TOUGH......and I DO mean TOUGH.......laws MUST be enacted to keep innocent people safe; the politicians in Washington MUST start to exhibit some GUTS and BACKBONE and REALLY get STRICT on gun control.

We've had FAR too many senseless mass shootings over the past several years....the carnage MUST end......

"Live long and prosper"

10. ChasM23

ChasM23 Member

It's always tragic when insane persons arm themselves with the clear intent of harming others. Unfortunately, the strictest gun control laws won't prevent "gun violence", as the criminals and demented will always find ways of obtaining weapons to carry out their twisted agenda! Gun control advocates have been attempting to control guns for decades, and the strict laws only serve to penalize the law-abiding citizens who choose to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. What is really needed is better access to mental health care, to help prevent these mindless tragedies. The glorification of violence with firearms portrayed in Hollywood movies and the rap music industry do more than a little to desensitize folks to the true nature of gun violence!

FritzDaKatx2 and GrayGuy57 like this.
  11. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Rap music, indeed, has done much to incite violence, the disrespect to those in authority, as well as women.

I worked for many years with a number of very fine African-American gentlemen (who were also good friends of mine) who totally denounce the violent "gangsta rap" culture.

We also cannot forget that too, too many video games these days are FAR too violent and graphic, NOT suitable for decent-minded adults, let alone young people.

WHERE is the parental supervision, here?

Look at New York; almost daily there are violent shootings, stabbings, and sucker-punch incidents; likewise, incidents where deranged individuals are shoving people onto subway tracks.

To have TOUGH laws we need TOUGH law-makers; let's FINALLY say "farewell" to all the molly-coddling of dangerous criminals; look at how many viloent crimes are committed by degenerates with lengthy police records, including serving multiple prison terms.

Bail reform?

"Turnstile justice"?

Don't get me started....enough is TOO MUCH.........

"Live long and prosper"

12. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

I cannot believe what I just heard.....

ANOTHER mass shooting has taken place, this one in a Louisiana nightclub.

!2 were shot; thankfully, no fatalities have been reported as I type these words.

God help us all.......

"Live long and prosper"

13. thepapasmurph

It is happening with such frequency the news cycle cannot keep up with it and report on it and give these senseless deaths the attention they deserve..

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  14. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

You are correct; it is all running together into one violent, bloody blur....you simply cannot keep track of all the carnage..

It is now light-years beyond insanity..........

"Live long and prosper"

15. Calmerchameleon

Calmerchameleon Members

So you think that it would be an easier job to CURE all the crazies than to prevent the crazies from buying guns? Good luck with that.

I also hear the 'criminals will always get guns' argument but do you realises that there are only major gun problems in the Americas and (virtually) no where else in the world? You do realise there are crime gangs in every country in the world but virtually no mass shootings anywhere outside of the Americas?

I also hear the 'tougher laws would only hurt the law abiding citizens' arguements too but how would it? If you are a sound of mind, law abiding citizen, you would STILL be able to buy a gun. If all the people who have criminal records or have been admitted to hospital for mental issues are vetted and prevented from obtaining guns (easily at least), surely the law abiding citizens' would be SAFER?

From an outsider looking in and seeing all the needless deaths is absolutely mortifying.

The people of the US need to wake up and smell the coffee. Without stricter laws, it's only gonna get worse.

MeAgain, GrayGuy57 and thepapasmurph like this.
  16. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

AMEN, my friend.....your words speak MANY voiumes.

IMHO, "political correctness" also is playing a powerful role in gun violence.

Why are so many VIOLENT criminals arrested and out on the street again within an hour or so, free to commit even MORE violent crimes (usually involving guns)?

To be frank, it is getting more and more difficult for me, as a law-abiding, non-gun owning American, to even TRY to sort out just WHY our gun problem has gotten so far out of control.

I would strongly suggest that, if possible, the folks reading this topic to watch a 1975 episode of the popular show "Good Times", entitled "The Family Gun".

It is truly frightening how much "in sync" with our gun issues today this GT episode is, now nearly 50 years old.

Florida: (to James)-

"We don't have to worry about our future, because we are killing it off today!"

Right on, Mrs. Evans!

As long as we have politicians who lack the guts and backbone required to FINALLY take a STRONG stand on the current chaos, it simply is NOT going to get better.

When metal detectors are now "standard fixtures" at our schools, and even houses of worship are no longer safe sanctuaries for the faithful, you KNOW the situation is not only dangerously out of hand, but, also, GRIM.

God help the American people........

"Live long and prosper"

17. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Well it's happened AGAIN......

Just heard that two students at a school in Iowa were killed and a teacher wounded.

Let's just close ALL schools and have ALL students learn remotely, from the safety of their own homes.

Good God, ENOUGH is ENOUGH.........

"Live long and prosper"

18. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

This just in......

Seven people were shot to death in two shootings in Half Moon Bay, California.

Please, dear God, make it stop......

"Live long and prosper"

19. thepapasmurph

There are more guns in AMERICA than there are people... It is becoming a way of life living in a culture of death in AMERICA - land of the free - home of the brave. And it is getting to the point where you have to be brave to venture out to the corner store or to Walmart... At one time, the type of person who commits a mass shooting could be profiled - now, it seems any disgruntled individual can decide to take revenge.

scratcho likes this.
  20. SexyFirefighter

SexyFirefighter Members

Hmmm California has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation... Wonder how they got a gun...

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.