Is it really true that the scottish hate the english & vice versa?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by theaveragejoe23, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

'Tu' means 'you'! :biggrin: :D

2. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

What? :confused: I heard it means kettle. I know that "je t'aime" is "eat my banana"

3. Asmodean

Is that what frogboy teached you? :p

4. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Very few in America have heard the song by Ingrid, Tu es Foutu. But I thought it was popular all over Europe----maybe not.

But it sounds like you guys understood about as much French as I did when I went to France, or Spanish when I went to Spain, or Monaconese when I went to Monaco (What do you mean these is no such language? It was all foreign to me...).

But I did have the luxury of knowing that song before I went there, so I would have understood it if they did say it. This song is of a woman betrayed by her lover----so she sings, what in English would be, F@*k You.

Merde is what you drop in the toilet (and hope that there is toilet paper). There is a humorous book written by an English Comedian, somewhat autobiographical, about an Englishman living in Paris trying to work for a company. People do not hate him, they just tend to do things their own way despite his advice or request. Some women, including his boss's daughter actually love him---physically, many times. I forget the title but Merde is part of it.

I learned various French phrases while I was there---and I memorized how to say, You are very cute!

5. Mountain Valley Wolf

However I must say----they ask rude things when they do speak English (true story):

We were staying at a hotel outside of Paris. They had a shuttle to the train station, but you had to schedule it. We showed up at the appropriate time to take the shuttle to discover that the receptionist had overbooked it.

The hotel worker looked at me and my family and asked me, "You won-o-pee?

I was confused, and answered back, "I'm sorry, what?

"You won-o pee?"

What, I thought, do I wanna pee? It's like a 10-minute ride at most, and why is he singling me out...?!

"Umm... No, I already went." I lied.

"No." he said, a bit frustrated, "You won-o pee?"

Suddenly I realized----we were scheduled for the 1:00 shuttle, and it was almost 1:00 ----1:00 pm that is.

"Oh, yes. I am one-o-p."

6. Mountain Valley Wolf

Alas, we must be thankful that the British did oppress the Scottish---the world owes a great debt to the British. You see, if the British had not oppressed the Scottish, Prince Bonnie Charlie would have never shared his personal recipe for Drambuie with the MacKinnon family of Skye. The recipe would have never left the castle of Edinburgh (just as the secret recipes of the Hungarian Prince Vlad, never left that castle---I think the secret ingredient was human blood).

Could you imagine the sorry state of the world if we were to spend these past centuries without Drambuie?

I can see it now---a world completely different, if Prince Bonnie Charlie had successfully taken the throne:

Imagine a Scotsman today, sitting by his warm fireplace with a friend, drinking their energy drink (Drambuie), in between reciting Burns to each other, they laugh,

“Ah haha ha haaa. If only the warld hae ken the secret recipe of this a’ powerfu’ brie.”

Aye laddie, but as true as my grandfather’s claymore is sharp, na lawlander or foreigner sha’ ever learn the secret of Prince Charlie’s Drambuie!

Suddenly an English servant steps in, “My Lord, the servants have brought the sheep in from the fields.”

“Guid, the South English air is na’ guid fer my sheep.”

The master thinks for a moment, then remembers. “Sae, I here one of the Englishmen is gaun gae married.sune. Mind ye, I better git my droit du signeur. You ken wa’ I’m tellin’ you? My first rights. I want my first rights with the bride. And she better be a sweet bonnie lass. And she better be mae cantie than the last aen. Guid fer caressan an’ all. ...Gif I canna get my first rights, I’ll hav at ‘em both with ma’ broadsword, and ma’ claymore.

Yes, My Lord, I’ll make sure the servants understand.

The master’s friend takes another sip of Drambuie, and asks, “How is your brither in the United Scottish States of America?”

“Aye, the lad is doin’ guid. But those American peasant coofs and blasties. It’s been well over twa hundred years and you wad expect they would stop their bluidy protestin’ a’ready.’

(You may also notice that in my vision, the Scottish has not changed at all since Robert Burns days…)

P.S. If you have trouble understanding this, just pick up a book of poems by Robert Burns, or even a book of Scottish poems, and there should be a glossary and a grammar somewhere in it. Or Google the words...

But wouldn't you know it---Prince Bonnie Charlie was not successful, and he gave away his recipe. Now, strangely enough, more 'lowlanders and foreigners' drink Drambuie than Scottish-----though perhaps we do not gain the secret strength, and super powers from the drink that is reserved only for the Scottish.

7. Star-Fairy

Star-Fairy Member

Not that I'm aware of. Some Scots may hate certain Brita and vice versa bit generally we all seem to get on fine....well, I do anyway. I think things are exagerated sometimes. We like to take the Piss out of each other but I think that's just part of our culture.

8. Star-Fairy

Star-Fairy Member

I must just add though that reading a book as I did which was 'Trainspotting' which was written in Scottish slang and accent etc confused the hell out of me...im glad he wrote it like that...I'm sure at the time there would have been thousands of English people with confused looks on their faces...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

9. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

this says it all for me, judging someone on their nationality is just narrow minded in the extreme.

10. roamy

roamy Senior Member

true! :)

11. roamy

roamy Senior Member

its jealousy maura.but who can blame them for that.its not like they have any courageous heros ta look up ta or much ta be proud of themselves and the french love us as we do them.godbless them all. :)

12. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

good morning dear roamy.. tis grand to see you're on form..

ps.. straying off thread here, my sister & I dream of setting up an old folks commune in Ireland.. many of us from our happy hippy days (who had to fit ourselves into mainstream living to raise our families) long to relive the dream.. if you have any ideas please share.. hope all is well in your world..

13. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

People do seem to hate the English for a variety of reasons and sometimes you can't blame them.Im English yet I love the celtic style of things.Not just Ireland/Wales,etc but Cornwall and Brittany.

14. OrganicSoundball

OrganicSoundball Member

I'm from the West Midlands too; I don't hate the Scottish xD I love the accents... yum ;P

15. Star-Fairy

Star-Fairy Member

Us English have brought on alot of things ourselves so I can't blame people however when it's things in the past and the people your blaming are dead and buried I think that's just handed down bitterness...I have the same thing with the German side of the family....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

16. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

we have to move on.. we're one human race.. we don't know who's nestling in the branches up the family tree..

17. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

Agree totally.
    Lifes too short as it is.I dont have gripes with anyone.Well,apart from some former US governments and the bloody Torys over here.

18. roamy

roamy Senior Member

hi maura.ye would'nt need an old folks commune here maura,cos the young look after the old.the oldest present member of my family is 93now.your country is always here for ye ta come home ta anytime ye want.live your dreams.:)

19. Asmodean

You sure like to make your country sound like paradise :mickey:

Are you volunteering maura to come live with you? :p

20. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

hi asmodean.. i'm cracking up with mirth.. but roamy rocks, so lay off.. all irish people think ireland is a little piece of heaven, & we can't all be wrong..