Is it really mental illness or is it mental injury ?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Jan 7, 2022.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I personally think it should be called mental injury. As it usually has a cause such as adverse childhood events or war in the case of PTSD,

2. Zombiefood

Zombiefood Enter my world HipForums Supporter

I personally understand what you are on about, but don’t agree. It makes sense though.

The thing about mental illness is that’s what it is.
    Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a medical problem, just like heart disease or diabetes.

Mental illnesses are health conditions involving changes in emotion, thinking or behavior (or a combination of these). Mental illnesses are associated with distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities.

The thing about mental illness though is that it’s invisible. Other then that to me it’s like someone having low blood sugar. They are told by getting dizzy etc and having to treat it.

Same as a mental illness. Child hood trauma is just a cause for a lot of mental illness. That’s by far not the reason it occurs. Also PTSD- the criteria for that in the DSM is far from just being at war. Like my Doctor tells me who suffers hard core himself with anxiety, It’s a shit disease. All mental illnesses they don’t discriminate.

Someone’s dynamics etc plays a roll. My mental illness is do to self medicating so I’ve messed up my brain receptors and they’re healing. That was how I dealt with my generalized anxiety disorder ( GAD )
    Its becoming normal again.

There’s probably hundreds of factors and variables to consider when someone is sick “ that’s not disrespectful in my opinion “ when my anxiety is horrible it’s a sickness. Anyway so many variables and factors before asked before a diagnosis is made.

Health professionals and Doctors don’t even know most of the time why or the reasons.

Ya lose a job - can have a mental illness after.
    Loss of a loved one, genetics, trauma, not dealing with past issues or unresolved issues.

I went on in this reply because what you wrote got me in think mode.

Piobaire likes this.
  3. ojahllah

ojahllah Newbie