Is it possible to live a normal life and not ever tell a lie?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by daniellar, Aug 21, 2019.

1. daniellar

daniellar Visitor

What's your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  2. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

A normal life is a lie we tell ourselves.

Driftrue and Running Horse like this.
  3. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

The better question is what say you Dani?

4. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Highly unlikely...a lot of lies we tell are not even seen as lies!

5. rheeglenn

rheeglenn Members

6. Our lives and everything around it are built on lies

7. rheeglenn

rheeglenn Members

Most people don't TRY to never tell lies. Lies are too convenient and self-serving. What kind of world would we live in if people never lied? How much better would it be.

And so many people assume that such a world would be so much WORSE. I guess that's because people are too thin-skinned and easily offended. But if people only told the truth and never got offended by it, what would be so bad about that?

8. lode

lode Banned

In a hunter gatherer society, sure.

But not in ours, really.

9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Lying implies a certain level of intelligent and emotional understanding. Most animals don't do it and don't know how. Humans have feelings and personal motives. Sometimes it's good for someone to not know everything. If people just told the truth I don't think it's as simple as people just can't get offended. People just want to lie and they know how.

10. rheeglenn

rheeglenn Members

Oh, no, avoiding causing offense is not by any means the only reason for lying, but I think it is a major factor.

11. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In some cases, telling the truth can have dire consequences. You may have to lie just to survive.

810306AE-24B3-4A5F-86AC-097792772745.jpeg

12. Lying doesn't sit well with me at all. I hate it and try to avoid it as much as possible.

Driftrue and YungSAVi like this.
  13. parua

parua Members

I'm guessing that a person could live a life without lying, but it wouldn't be normal, at least not before gaining a certain experience and insight throughout life:
    25 Nose Growing Statistics on Lying

I would guess that the best we can do is examine the reasons why we lie and work at fixing those issues.

14. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Over half of Americans argue the definitions of words never suspecting or caring in the slightest that the dictionary merely contains popular definitions. Hence, it is quite possible to never lie, because the idiots hear nothing but lies and can no longer distinguish the truth. They will no doubt debate the meaning of honesty in a sincere effort to comprehend the truth.

daniellar likes this.
  15. My sister is a compulsive liar. It gets embarrassing at times. I've had to explain to her lovers that I'm not related to Jean Claude Van Damme, for instance.

Henderson likes this.
  16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

an improbability is a possibility that doesn't happen very often.

living a normal life however is not worth the attempt, as normal is a myth and a normal life, therefor, a thing that does not exist.
    (perhaps an ordinary or mundane life is what was intended?)

honesty is desirable as a way to avoid creating and promoting ignorance.

it is one of the four elements that when loved create heaven and hated create hell.
    (the other three being logic, consideration and imagination)

Driftrue likes this.
  17. Henderson

Henderson Banned

Maybe your sister knows something you don't know about what went on in your family before you were born. Have you ever felt the urge to put someone down with a roundhouse kick?

daniellar likes this.
  18. She doesn't. That's just one example of a bald faced lie she's made up. But of course I have wanted to do karate.

19. Henderson

Henderson Banned

I once had a buddy named Jim, and we hitchhiked out West to Oregon one summer when we were in our twenties. I came back alone. He went on to California. He came back years later and we started hanging out again. When he introduced me to his friends, they would say, "Oh, you're the guy that hitchhiked out West with Jim, aren't ya?" And I'd say, "Yup." And then they'd bring up stuff, and say something like, "That was a close call you guys had with the cops in Nebraska, eh?" We never had any close call with the cops in Nebraska. And different friends of his would ask me about other such things that never happened. One guy told me he thought it was neat how we carved our names on the big Hollywood sign in California. Never happened. I didn't go with him to California. He was a habitual liar.

Maybe he was your sister's secret brother.

daniellar likes this.
  20. Yeah, that's the kind of stuff she does, too. I bet you didn't know my band in high school opened up for Teenage Fanclub.