Is it possible to eat grass-fed beef in America?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by I'll Be Waiting, Apr 11, 2018.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn’t be so smug about British Beef, If I remember correctly from my youth bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), known as mad cow disease
    was only found in beef produced in the UK,

This led to an outbreak of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) in humans with a certain genetic makeup, If the disease vector (prions) hadn’t been so selective
    in humans tens of thousands of people all across Britain could have died a horrible death.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If they aren't eating grass, what the hell are they eating?

3. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

That was a long time ago, and it could have happened anywhere... right?

4. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

But just because it's grass fed, doesn't mean it's not injected with all the other shit (that those poor Americans have to eat).

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Just a tip for those who think grass fed beef is too tough

You have to marinate it with an acid, like a balsamic vinagarette or lemon juice (along with other things, dont marinate it in straight lemon juice lol)
    And marinate it for a long time, like 6 - 12 hours

Deidre likes this.
  6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Grow hormones add flavor?

Brains.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Or you could just cook the meat for less long. Lol. Some people cook the shit outta their steaks then complain it's too tough. I'm a medium rare girl, so I never worry about that, plus, anything close to well done is just a nuesence on your digestive system. A well cooked steak can take over 12 hours for your stomach to break down and in 12 hours you've already probably had another meal. It really is no wonder so many people have stomach problems when they eat like that. Whereas a medium rare can be broken down in a timely fashion so it is much more healthier.

I don't get well done eaters, I have a leather boot, would you like to eat that too? :p

8. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Fat

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Probiotic? I recently saw a nutritionist/dietitian and that's one of the things we talked about. Additionally, the last time I saw my primary care physician he said to be aware of how sensitive that microbiome is to changes. I don't really have a good sense for what sorts of things to feed the microbiome though. I want a healthy one! Lol.

I just added some healthy things to my diet including that probiotic my dietitian recommended. It's quite possibly the beginning of healthier eating for me. But I used to go out quite a bit as recently as March (last month). We shall see.

Good luck with your microbiome, and do enjoy your stay in the United States! :)

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That too lol. I'm a medium rare kind of gal too. I like steak seared so the juices sort of caramelize on the outside but the inside is nice and pink

11. Noserider

rare AF

It still better be twitching when I stick my fork in it.

McFuddy likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like the middle to be pink with the seared on both sides too. :p has to have grill marks though. :p

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i prefer for my steak to moo in agony when i bite it.

McFuddy likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'd go #2

FB_IMG_1523602292333.jpg

15. Asmodean

I like my cow flesh welldone, which when prepated uhm well done :p doesn't have to be though to chew at all in my experience. Maybe you guys are doing something wrong if you think you have to avoid a welldone piece of beef for that reason

16. Noserider

I might try this method sometime soon

17. Asmodean

I care about all those things, including flavor. But i strongly doubt grow hormones are the way to go in that regard :p Same with feeding cows a lot of soy or corn. It's not the only way to juicen up your cow flesh.. just the fastest/cheapest.

18. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Dude, you're screwing yourself. It's both very expensive, and worse, terrible for your health to eat that way.

You can get a bag of frozen mixed vegetables for like a dollar a pound. If you put some in a microwave-safe covered dish with a little water in it and zap it, maybe put some olive oil on it, you've got a meal.

You can get a five pound bag of potatoes for $2.50. They have these special microwave-safe cloth bags you can cook a potato in in about 6-8 minutes.

Rolled oats are also cheap and easy to cook in a microwave.

If you get some ground turkey, you can microwave a turkey burger in 2 minutes.

Asmodean likes this.
  19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ so much work though.

plus, this stuff doesn't really come in single serving sizes. the single meals you can get from a grocery store aren't much better or much cheaper than eating out anyway.

20. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Not much work at all. Open a one-pound bag of frozen veggies, pour about half into a microwave safe dish, add a little water, cover it (if you want to), microwave for about 8 minutes on high - bam, it's done. You've got to wash the dish eventually, but you can reuse it few times before you do.

Potato: wash it, scrape of the eyes if it has any, put it in the potato-cooker bag, microwave it at 80% for 6-8 minutes, bam, it's done. Maybe a little olive oil or butter.

Oatmeal: pour some oatmeal in a dish, put in enough water to cover it. You have to adjust the cooking time so it doesn't overflow. I usually cook it on high for 1.5 minutes, then maybe another 5 or six minutes at 30%. You have to soak the dish afterward though.

Ground turkey: If you get a pound or so of ground turkey, it's easy to scoop out about 1/6 or 1/8 with a fork into dish with a flat bottom and make a flat patty with the fork. 2 minutes on high, pour off the fat, and bam, it's done.

Can of black beans or other beans: Open up the can, pour the beans into a sieve, rinse off the salt or preservatives, put it in a dish, microwave for a minute or so, bam, it's done.

Any size bag of veggies that you get, you can just put a rubber band around the unused part and throw it back in the freezer

If you peel the plastic off ground turkey, you can cover it up with the same plastic and leave the fork in the container. It'll be ok like that for a day or two in the fridge.

Potatoes and oatmeal are pretty much single serve
    If it's a pre-made or frozen meal, yeah, that's true. What I've described though is way cheaper, maybe $2-$4 a day, versus maybe $20-$30 a day you're paying now.

Much healthier too. Maybe you like the taste of what you're eating now better though.

For the love of God though, I beg you not to eat frozen dinners on a regular basis. That shit will kill you.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  21. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, what i eat now generally does taste better than what i could cook at home. i'll be first to admit, good home cooking tastes better than what i eat, but what i'm capable of doing is not good home cooking.

also, i'm not paying nearly what you think. lunch is anywhere from $4 to $7, but usually at the lower end of that. dinner, if fast food is probably about the same amount. if it's some form of frozen dinner or a single serving mac and cheese or something like that, it's about $3 to $4. if it's home cooking from one of the nice old ladies at work, all it costs is me complimenting their cooking.

how many microwaves do you need to make an actual meal out of this though? i feel like by the time you're done with a 3 or 4 course meal, the first 1 or 2 courses are cold again.