Is it possible to eat grass-fed beef in America?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by I'll Be Waiting, Apr 11, 2018.

1. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

I know the beef eaten in the states wouldn't be expected to be as good as British or Irish beef anyway, for reasons such as the growth promoters and mass medication of antibiotics. But can you at least buy beef that's been fed on grass?

I will be living in America for a month shortly, and I don't want my gut microbiome to undergo long term detrimental changes during my stay.

No wonder there's a vegetarian feminist outcry in the states!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Purple44 likes this.
  2. Farmnaked

Farmnaked Banned

I see that you get your information from a very poor source. You can do better.

Noserider and fem_fatale like this.
  3. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

I see that you didn't see my source fuckhead. It's common knowledge.

Can you do better?

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

wwwgrassfedbeef.com

5. Farmnaked

Farmnaked Banned

No tail lately/ Except cow?

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

With the great plains of America, I assumed that your beef would be superior to what we eat in the UK, I have not seen much lamb though.
    Perhaps I have watched too many cowboy films. Cowboys herding sheep would make a great comedy.

PS, do you still have cowboys, or did they become extinct by all shooting each other.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just wannabees that ride in Rodeos. They don't shoot much any more--they just go to after -rodeo dances and beat the shit out of each other. They ARE tough guys, no doubt.

wilsjane likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Barbed wire is what made them extinct (or at least rare). If you wanna see cowboys these days you go to Argentina ;)

wilsjane likes this.
  9. mcme

mcme lurker

They're all grass fed, until they're penned up and fed grains before being sold. Fattens them up for more money, makes them taste better without having to hang the meat to rot a little.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Of course you can. There are a lot of small farms throughout the US that sell grass fed beef. And if all else fails just find a Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

11. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I buy all my beef from local farmers . All grass fed. They spent their whole life just roaming around the pasture , eating grass, and breathing fresh air. Then someone kills them, someone else cuts them into manageable size pieces. I put the pieces in the freezer in my garage and eat them at my leisure.

Asmodean likes this.
  12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Only just about everywhere here.

I don't like grass-fed beef, personally.

13. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

It's chewy, to me. But, I *feel* better eating grass fed beef? You can buy it in the local grocery stores here, and it's priced pretty reasonably.

wilsjane likes this.
  14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The meet is slightly more 'chewy' because without all the carbohydrate and protein feed, along with the growth hormones, it takes the animals longer to grow to the optimum weight for slaughter. Therefore the meat is slightly older.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i have no idea where you would buy it, since really who cares? but yes, when i was growing up we had several cows that we let eat grass until we killed and ate them. and amazingly, that all happened in america.

16. Noserider

They don't have it in the stores where you are?

I see it all over the place--though five years ago, I was like, "what's a grass-fed beef?" Now it practically grows on trees.

Meanwhile, restaurants pimp it as some kind of selling point. I'm like, "Nope. I want the poor sonofabitch of a cow fattened for the slaughter on grain, corn and growth hormones, please." AKA something with flavor.

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

fuck if i know, i don't cook. the last time i bought a steak in a grocery store was probably 12 years ago.

18. Noserider

Dude what do you eat?

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i eat out mostly. there's a local deli right by where i work that i go to pretty much every day for lunch. for supper, i eat fast food 2 or 3 times a week, i get wings from the bar where my friend works once a week, occasionally one of the old ladies at work will bring me a home cooked meal, and whatever's left over i will usually do a frozen pizza or some mac and cheese or a tv dinner or something like that.

20. Noserider

I can't eat like that anymore. The older I get the fewer foods I can eat. Can't eat carbs anymore, can't eat dairy...figure by the time I'm my mom's age, there will only be about two things I can eat. It'll suck, but it will sure make grocery shopping easier.