Is it Normal or OK to consider yourself “Too Busy” for calls and texts?

Discussion in 'People' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

Just wondering, I have some friends who act very like this! They always like put on a big act when I call like “Oh, I am really Really busy right now. I do not have time to talk right now. I can call you later today?” Is that normal? I mean, I understand, life happens all day everyday. There’s 24 hours in one day. I’d say all of us can get “very busy”? But to just say that as your “only excuse” to that person when they try and call or contact you? I think some people I know should re-evaluate what they think is considered “being busy”?

2. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

When one has to work for a living, YEP :)

3. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

I suppose, I mean, with this person, I understand he can be busy but it’s just that’s his only thing he says Everytime? He won’t even tell me why he’s busy or anything ? I just think he must not be into me or doesnt think I’m his friend maybe? Oh well, life goes on.

4. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Probably he doesn',t......but do you think you're his friend ?

5. Chef

Chef Members

For me the phone is the most rude thing ever.... for example; talking to a person in person, having a good conversation...phone rings and you jump up to get it..I really genuinely don't understand.
    Ill Call back when I have the time, for me real life always before phone. (Call, app etc)

Gramps69 and VeganLadyAZ like this.
  6. Iscott55

Iscott55 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i dont really like to talk on the phone but ill answer texts

Gramps69 likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I distinctly remember a time when if someone called you on a telephone and there was no answer, they didn't take it personally; they simply called again later. No answering machines, no voicemail, and no expectations that I'm at your beck-and-call every minute of the day.

Gramps69, zer0 and VeganLadyAZ like this.
  8. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I will say, I think the pandemic has exacerbated this, too. For me it has, anyway. Not that the idea of people being too busy for calls or texts has only existed for two years. But to illustrate what I’m talking about…

I work from home now, and all of my business is conducted through a computer screen. I really don’t like phone calls. And texts seem like a pain to have to answer and have an entire conversation that way. And I’ve found, since I’ve been at home so much, that I have gotten more and more comfortable just shutting myself in, a lot, even when I don’t need to do so anymore, now. I haven’t really wanted to talk to people, and the whole cultural environment of greater isolation that we have had for the past couple of years has contributed to that.

And the funny thing is, I know how all of this sounds…like I’m just a bah-humbug hermit, or a misanthrope. And that’s not the case at all. I’m an extremely positive and sociable person. It just takes the right kind of people to bring those things out in me, though. And not being around anyone, by and large, for quite awhile, has brought about some more anti-social tendencies in me.

I didn’t mean to go off on such a tangent, there. But as for texts and phone calls…yeah, I just don’t like them very much.

9. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

The way the world is now we all need a mobile, I just don’t get the etiquette of it, when we all just had a house phone no one would dream of phoning you in the early hours or late at night unless it was an emergency, but now it’s perfectly ok to send a picture of your cat doing something stupid at one in the morning. I switch my phone on at lunchtime, it goes off again about 8-9 in the evening .

Goddess Love and MidtownMind like this.
  10. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

We have certain family member, that only calls when they want something. My wife says I need to answer anyway. So I do, but, tell them I am way too busy to help them. Then go back to my video game. Smiling all the time.

11. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

Yes. When I am working on something that requires concentrated thought, I do not need any interruptions. Otherwise, I might have to start from scratch to try to recover my train of thought. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

12. wifekaty

wifekaty Members

Try considering the obvious: he doesn't wish to speak with you, has little or no interest in having a
    conversation with you. Do you believe that he must stop whatever he's doing to attend to your call
    whenever that call randomly arrives. Sounds like he's trying to be polite, hoping you'll get the message.

13. VeganLadyAZ

VeganLadyAZ Members

I hate talking on the phone, I prefer texts. And I keep my phone on do not disturb mode. If you call leave a message and I'll check it when I want to. Or just text. I hate notifications and dings going off every 2 minutes from things.

14. zer0

zer0 Members

I fondly remember those days too, and I still keep that spirit alive. I'm guessing most of us here are from the generation that grew up without a phone in hand every hour of the day, without the social burden of fielding every bleep, ping and ding that comes in. We talked on the phone when it was convenient. And if someone didn't pick up, then we just assumed--as Harry said to Sally--"either (a) You're not home, (b) You're home but you don't want to talk to me, or (c) You're home, desperately want to talk to me, but you're trapped under something heavy."

Gramps69 and Piobaire like this.
  15. TanekRune

TanekRune Members

Hello. I have a relatively common condition called telephone anxiety. Or - in my relatively limited experience - there exist enough of us to be notable. Most of the time, it's simply embarrassing to admit you just can't function like others do. Occasionally, the answer is actually just neurodivergence or trauma.

Piobaire likes this.
  16. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was 16 years old when we got a phone, and it was a party line. Our ring was 3 short ones. I now have a cell, which I enjoy but don't carrying with me all the time. Much to some peoples dislike I have NOTHING to do texting.

etherea and Gramps69 like this.
  17. Gramps69

Gramps69 Members

I turn my phone off all the time

etherea and Very Fast Car like this.
  18. I have a landline that my children tend to call me on because they know one of us will answer. But, I should add, never at ridiculous times unless an absolute emergency. We both have mobile phones, not the smart variety, that we use very infrequently and to be totally honest most of the time have no fucking idea where they are. Usually in a jacket pocket in a cupboard somewhere . We do use them when out just incase something occurs that requires their use.
    The people important to us know all of this so we are very rarely in a position relating to the original question.

Gramps69 likes this.
  19. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ditto etherea darlin ' - these new fangled so-called 'smart' phones are too big to easily fit in my pockets and far too complicated to work. Plus I have serious issues with those idiots who insist on walking about with their heads buried in their 'smart' phones, not looking where they're going.

etherea and Captain Scarlet like this.
  20. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Phone Zombies we call them . A hazard of walking these days I guess

[​IMG]