Is It A Myth?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by honeyhannah, May 18, 2004.

1. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

It was a scientific study. Some people are willing to do worse for science! In fact, the womyn in the study weren't told and didn't even guess what they were being swabbed with, and there was a control group who was swabbed with water. (Their periods, obviosly, didn't regulate.)

This is how "double blind" studies are conducted.

2. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

Haha reminds me of my friends Elizabeth, Danielle and Collin. Elizabeth, Danielle and I spend so much time together that our periods start on the same day, the same days are heavy, and on the 4th day it stops for 2 days then starts up again for another 2. The four of us walk home from school every day, and the poor guy Collin has to deal with the three of us (Danielle gets the WORST bitchy PMS-period symptoms you'd ever see) for one week outta that month when we all walk home the three miles together. "Collin does my stomach look big?" "Damn Collin why the hell is it so hot out here?!" "COLLIN WALK SLOWER NOW!!!!" "Collin will you carry my backpack for me my back hurts too much!" "Collin can I use your bathroom when we go past your place??? PLEASE?? It's womenly trouble I REALLY have too!!!!!" Ahhh poor guy... I dont know how he's put up with it for 2 years...

3. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Two months after I moved in with my sister, her period was two weeks late, mine was two weeks early and we started within hours of each other... LOL

I'm also coinciding with my office mate, at work...

4. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

aha, it is so true...in my flat there are 4 of us girls and one guy..the poor boy can't understand when we all get a little snarky at the same time each month.... :)

5. Merenwenelanesse

Merenwenelanesse Member

nope not a myth. im experiencing this now, I just started living with my cousin and we are now about a day apart.strange.

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

flowerchild, POOR Colin!!!!

It sounds like my poor dh. He has three womyn menstruating in his house at the same time. He claims he and Lennon (our son) are going to get a "menstrual hut" to stay on the 23rd of each month! We all have PMS at the same time, too. Fun fun fun. (I have dd who will be 18 in a few weeks and one who is 15. The four year old isn't yet menstruating, LOL. I wonder if I will still be OTR when she starts. I am in perimeno so I might not have that chance.)

7. Brighid

Brighid Member

When I lived with my SIL we cycled together.

When I lived with 2 other single Moms, we were all on the same cycle within months.
    My two DDs and I are on the same cycle as well.

In midwifery school (12 women, together ALL the time, practicing breast and pelvic exams on each other:eek: ) we all were on the same dates by the end of the first year.
    I can usually tell when a pregnant client is about to start labor because I get crampy and achy.

I think it's awesome how "elemental" we women are, we ebb and flow to the same tides and rythms. We are a force of nature, really.

8. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

I found it to be true , Mud and me have begun to hit the exact day , or only one day apart since she moved in.

9. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

my sister and i are both too dominant to cycle at the same time. we never did synch up. same with my best friend.

but i would synch up with my mother. but she's menopausal now.

10. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

wow, this is an old thread! but a good topic.

i used to work 11 hr shifts at mci as customer service, i worked next to this one girl in our cubbies, and i was around her soooo much, that we would literally get our period at the exact same time. we would both get up from our desks and go to the bathroom b/c we both just started.

11. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

My sister and I cycle at the same time... or at least, we usually do. The last several periods have been a couple weeks apart. I wonder if it's because we don't spend as much time together as we used to? We both get heavy periods, and we often have really bad cramps.
    When our older sis lived at home, we cycled together too.

12. miscmrndy

miscmrndy Member

Its true not a myth. We really don't need to actually live together. I worked in a factory with a group of 10 women and just a few men worked with us and every month the guys new when HELL week was coming.

13. Voodoostarr

Voodoostarr Member

It's crazy how we all sync with each other. I work closely with three other women at work and we are now all within two days of starting our periods together. It was never like that when I first started there but after two years we all slowly caught up with each other.

14. caliente

caliente Senior Member

Yep, my two daughters and I do. We've been in sync pretty much since the day they started. They're twins and they started at almost the exact same instant.

15. miscmrndy

miscmrndy Member

Yep I know. This friend that I worked with for two years we were within days of each other while working together. However now we no longer work together and our cycles are no longer together. I know this because we are still very good friends.

16. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

it seems there are discrepancies! while doing a search, i found many things saying it is explainable, but not by pheremones. on the other hand, while i was ever so briefly in the navy, in bootcamp we went through all out sanitary items in a single week. i was told it syncs up with the pack leader or matriarch of a group, and the below site says its just same stress causing same ovulation. meh, who knows? all i know is that it does happen.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Menstrual-Cycles-That-Sync:-A-Mystery-Unraveled&id=468508

17. caliente

caliente Senior Member

the below site says its just same stress causing same ovulation

Stress causes ovulation? LOL ... they must know something I don't.

18. Isabella28

Isabella28 Member

This is deffinatley not a myth, because me and my best friend are the same, and we don't live together but we are always together. And we have it at the same exact timee.

19. Sophie_P

Sophie_P Member

Very true. My mom and I, as well as some of my best friends that I spend a lot of time around, have the same schedule.

20. hquest_98

hquest_98 Guest

Absolutely it is not a myth. Haven't you wondered what might cause these synchronous cycles with women living together? How do our bodies know to do this? Yes, scientists can tell us why it happens because of our evolutionary adaptation for mating in ancient times. But, they cannot tell you why.

My husband's book, LifeConscious, has a theory that you may find very interesting that offers a great explanation. You can find out more at www.lifeconscious.com