Is It A Myth?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by honeyhannah, May 18, 2004.

1. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

That when you live with women your cycle's start to come around the same time.

When I was living with my roomates one of them told me her cycle drew back three weeks, I think eventually, and starting coming at the same time as mine.

And now I've moved back in with my mom and my period has drawn back a week and a half, not eventual to coincide with hers.

My mom had three sisters and her mom and she said there's was always on at the same time.

Same with my roomate.

I wonder if other people have experienced this?

2. LMoffet1

LMoffet1 Member

nope, not a myth!! Me and all my roommates are the same time and my mom and my sister and I were the same when we lived together. Neat huh? Sometimes though, it kinda sucks...

3. Hippie_Muncher

Hippie_Muncher Member

Definatley not a myth. Me and my best friend didn't live together but we were constantly together and our cycles became schedueled. My mother and sister were the same thing with me. When I moved in with my In laws same thing happend with my SIL mine and hers came right after another.
    I personally LOVe it that way you know what and when its coming hee hee

4. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

The first Rainbow gathering I went to (big campout in the woods) I attended sister circles for the first time and hung around with a group of women. A LPN told me that was why I started the biggest period I had ever had, two weeks early (I definitely had no chance of being pregnant) complete with first-time cramps!!! It was horrible!! And all the women I went with were experiencing the same thing.
    Of course, it was wonderful too because we did all experience, outside the period thing, a great bond and friendship, and the loving support you can only get from other women. But now when I go to Rainbow gatherings, I make sure to balance my interaction with men also and I have never had the same problem.
    :eek: Pheremones :confused:
    Bee

5. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

Definitely true. My mom and I are the same, and my entire basketball team is always on the same schedule - we're like a family, pretty much living together for those four or five months.

I don't really think about it with my mother (interesting, but a little weird to me). I do love it about my team, though. It makes us so strong...it's not like one girl has cramps at practice on one day...our hardass coach has to deal with all of us being a little slower. Then after playing we'll go to someone's house and spoil ourselves silly :)

6. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I have never even heard of this before!! Can anyone explain WHY exactly this happens??

7. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

It's happened with me and friends before. Very strange. The weirdest time, though, was a couple years ago when my family went on vacation to visit my mom's side of the family. Over half the females were menstruating at the time, and some of us live as far away as different continents. Very strange.

8. Willow-Bridget-Love

Willow-Bridget-Love Member

yeah, i noticed that too...

9. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

It's cuz of pheremones... when women live together for a while they start sharing pheremones and it makes your hormones shift so that you end up going through the same stages together. I learned this in science class. :D

However, what I wonder is if not only do your periods start happening at the same time, do they end up being about the same intensity as far as cramps and whatnot? and same number of days?

10. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

This phenomenom happens because of phermones. Hormones which have an odor. It is helpful in societies when all the womyn ovulate and menstruate at the same time, in many closer to the land cultures, they find it odd that womyn of our culture have their cycles all over the place, not synchronized.

I have seen it happen in dorms and in my own family, with three menstruating womyn. Usually the "domaniant" womyn will pull the others to her cycle. It also happens in offices, prisons and camps. Anywhere womyn spend a lot of time together.

There was an experiement done where a swab from a womyn's vagina was placed, daily, under the noses of other womyn, in a month, all the womyn in the study were menstruating at the same time.

It is hard to know who is "dominant" it isn't neccesarily personality, and we haven't quite figured out who has stronger phermones and why. But it is true, and it happens all the time.

11. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Damn, Bree, that was scary. We posted the same thing at the same time.

OOOOOWEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

12. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

LOL! Well almost the same time, you were one minute after me :p But that is freaky!

13. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

yup. happened to me and my flatmates too. all had cramps and everything. was good though cos we could go halves on the panadol!

14. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Wow, this is really interesting. Honestly I'd never thought about it until now, I remember my aunt and I had ours at the same time, I never really knew when my mom had hers b/c she wasn't open about it.(this is when I was younger)

Then my roomate told me hers ended up catching up to mine, and I thought it was just a coincidence.

But when I got home from school and noticed that mine waited to come on at the same time as my mom I thought this is kinda freaky. So I'm glad I know now.

I just wonder what makes the other woman dominant. Obviously my mom is dominant for many reasons in my mind, but I can't understand why I'm dominant over my roomate. This is all very interesting.

15. dotadave

dotadave Member

Neither have I, seeing as I'm a guy. I'd like to know how it happens myself.

16. dotadave

dotadave Member

How does snorting these gasious haromones trigger the periods?

I wonder if one could synthesize a large amount of these harmones and then spray them somewhere as a prank.

17. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I wouldn't want to have to smell a swab of another chick's vagina juice every day. I wouldn't want to get swabbed every day, either. I hope I never go to jail. :eek:

18. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

lol. me and my four sisters and my mom, we all get ours a few days in between eachother, if not all on the same day. it's weird.

19. makno

makno Senior Member

dr ruth hubbard from harvard gave a lec for my anarchist group years and was saying that,she also stated that the regularity expected was a 19th cen. myth that spun off industrial rev thinking .that women in arid climates and others didnt ovulate when conditions made it futile .!

20. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

i live with my mum and my sister and when i started my period came really quite regularly, though im not sure when mums was coz i cant remember that far back. but since then mum has gone though/ is getting over the menopause and my sister has started her period and mine has comepletely fucked since my sister started coz hers was so irregular becuase mums was so irregualr and they spend loads of time together. so im blameing my sister for being so random as to why im all random now. it'll be ok in a few months or so when shes all settled.

but its sooo not a myth, well not in this house.