Is Christmas Mostly Secular?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

True story, when my father was alive we went to a Ram's Horn in nearby Dearborn, MI. Dearborn is a suburb of Detroit. And it has one of the highest concentrations of Arab people in the country, maybe even world.

Anyways, I liked their unique menu options. And the place was clearly frequented mostly by Muslim people. They were, for example, open all night during the month of Ramadan, because devout Muslims are only allowed to eat at night. I have no problem with that (it being mostly Muslim, I mean). But I found it curious they would put up Christmas decorations during that time of year.

Yes, I know non-Muslims probably ate there too. But it still got me to thinking.

Is Christmas now a mostly secular holiday. Note I say "mostly". I realize some religions still recognize and observe it. But still.

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's definitely both. hard to say what it "mostly" is though.

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Christmas isn't secular. I think most people just turn it into something else--how many folks celebrate every year and don't once think about Jesus' birth?

We kind of just celebrate winterholidays now.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think of Christmas more as a cultural holiday.

It is religious for people who are religious, but plenty of nonreligious people celebrate it too, just because it is commonly celebrated in their culture

guerillabedlam, parua and scratcho like this.
  5. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Jesus is in the Quran. I don't think the concept of Christmas is limited to any religion. It's a message anyone can get behind. If you live in the western world the holiday happens all around you. You can't help but get sucked in.

themnax likes this.
  6. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Commercial holiday, clothed in lies

7. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm an agnostic but I still like the Christmas season. The decorations, the well-wishing, the Merry Christmas on everyone's tounges. And of course the gifts and cards, both giving and receiving. Can't say I care for the Christmas TV shows and 99% of the Christmas music, but some people love it. Whatever gives you the spirit.

themnax and scratcho like this.
  8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Pretty good time to enjoy and employ--the spirit of giving, religious or not. It's wonderful to see the little ones have so much fun, even if later in life------

themnax and parua like this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well the shortest day of the year is just a natural part of the calendar.
    people can believe or not whatever they see fit,
    and nothing has to be believed or have anything to do with what people tell each other,
    in order to exist.

i wish they'd just call it something else, that wasn't about money nor fanaticism either one.

having something good to eat and wishing each other happiness on the shortest day of the year,
    and all the decorations, and pretty much almost everything about is good.

but the tenth month they guy may have been born on the 25th of, is now what is october on our calander,
    so the day really doesn't have anything to do with that.

giving people stuff is nice, but being about money and how much they can spend isn't.

so i just say happy midwinter's eve, or happy solstice or something like that.
    i know that sounds a little empty because it isn't what people are used to.

yule is a good name for it, that goes back to celtic traditions, like the tree does.
    and decorating trees and towns i cool too.

as for that guy, well he was cool too, but a lot things people think they know about it,
    are just like legend stuff, how it grows and distorts.