Is chivalry dead?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 5, 2013.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

^ this

^ and this

I once saw this idiot mom nearly dump her baby out its carriage down a flight of stairs and smash its head. I almost had a heart attack.

Whenever I see a woman trying to carry a baby carriage up or down stairs, I always offer to help. The help is always accepted.

If it's an old grandma, she'll always thank me. Always.

If it's the mother, she will never thank me. Never.

They either say nothing and walk away, or give me attitude.

One time, I carried this lady's carriage up a long flight of stairs. When we got to the top and I put down the carriage, she holds up her wedding ring, sticks her nose in the air, and declares indignantly, "I'm married!".

Bitch, I carried the carriage so that your baby would not get its head smashed. I did not want to fuck you, you ugly whore.

I still will carry carriages. I'm just willing to suffer the consequences for the sake of the babies.

2. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Whenever I open doors for women I always expect sex in return...

or a sandwich.

3. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

and if it doesn't happen?

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I sort of expect common courtesy from everyone. If I see someone walking behind me, I always hold the door open. If I see someone struggling, I offer to help. I don't see the need for gender here.

5. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Member

While I generally agree, I thought this thread was about chivalry in the context of a romantic relationship.

In that case, the notion of a guy who is genuinely chivalrous is very appealing to me.

6. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

That's exactly what I mean. There's a huge difference between opening a door for a random person, and opening a door for your lady and putting your hand on the small of her back. Chivalry is not just common courtesy to strangers.

7. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I personally don't believe the modern "chivalry" necessarily has to have anything to do with romance. The way I see it, treating your loved ones well is a given. I personally don't see anything chivalrous about that at all. You care about your romantic partner, and you naturally want to do pleasant things for them. That's more "love" than "chivalry" the way I see it.

Chivalry in its original form certainly had very little to do with romantic situations as I've already mentioned earlier in this thread. But granted that we're having a discussion on the "modern-day chivalry", the way I understand it is that it still is about treating all women with respect rather than just your loved ones exclusively. For that matter, I personally view it as being MORE chivalrous if/when someone can be thoughtful toward complete strangers. Like I said, the other one's just a given in my opinion.

8. Mike Suicide

Doesn't have too, I'm just making my intentions known.

Besides we all know that chivalry is just a ploy which women use as part of their hidden agenda....which is the downfall of civilization.

9. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

But Of course!

If we allow ourselves to be polite to women, they're going to take all our jobs and chain us to a stake in the kitchen!

We must protect ourselves from the eeevil matriarchy! Burn your tidey wideys! For they are evil ball prisons!

10. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Should've replied to that one woman that your deed was based on sympathy/empathy not your sex drive, to assume so is presumptuous.

---

Like I said earlier I don't think chivalry is dead, but I think each guy should read and test the waters with any girl they're out dating with to see how she'll react to actions that aren't presuming sex but are just in kind.

When I'm out on dates, I'll hold the door open, and if I get a negative reaction from her for it for no reason, that'll count as a strike against her if I'm vetting her as a possible life partner.

If I'm not vetting her as a life partner, and rather just for a mutually good time, then it matters less.

Chivalry should just be mixed in with upbeat flirting, and it should be a very lighthearted fun thing aspect of dating. It shouldn't presume anything and it SHOULD come naturally in the romantic-dating context.

That same behavior though, I think is just general politeness in everyday interactions, but in a romantic-dating setting, it takes on a different context.

Another reason I think chivalry is dying, but still exists, is that I think youth, are taking longer and longer to mature in personality both guys and girls.

Girls like to claim they're more mature than boys, but I'm starting to wonder if that's a myth. In some respects I've noticed the female gender is better about hygiene, cleanliness, and social politic but they're just as bad as guys in other areas like (sense of entitlement, spending $ habits).

11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Member

The insinuation is that chivalry is dead but that's a load of bollocks.
    Sure, for some guys, they may not see it as advantageous or necessary when in relationships, but that's just from the changing nature of the times.

Nowadays, a lot of guys (this is based on my own observations and not a general perception of guys across the world), but a lot pay no attention to chivalry.
    Whether they just choose not to or whether they have not been told/taught as to what it is and what it entails, I don't know.

As for me personally, I'm a big fan of it. It's the subtle things that can get a partner onside with you even more so and the subtle things that can often help to get you in a girl's good books, should you be looking.

Ultimately, it just comes down to how mature someone is and how they cope/deal with it all.

12. Mike Suicide

chivalry does not get you laid

13. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Remembering a subtle detail about someone is sentimental and a form of chivalry. Love it.

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Oh I get it now!

lol

15. deviate

deviate Senior Member

It's not dead, the problem is a lot of women would rather be treated like shit and chivalrous behavior is seen as weakness.

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If a woman "wants to be treated like shit", it is probably because she is used to it, or was brought up in an environment where treating women like shit was the norm. She probably isn't used to being treated kindly. No one is born with a desire to be abused. She just has to learn to be treated like an equal, like the lovely person she is.

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Well, I agree. Just explaining there's a fine line to walk. Chivalry can easily get someone a one-way ticket to the friend zone, or blown off. Is it still worth practicing? Yes. I think it's best to treat all people with respect as much as you can, hold open doors or stop and help someone change a flat tire. And save the real chivalrous stuff for a special lady who has stood by your side for awhile. Doesn't always work that way, but that's ideal to me.