Is chivalry dead?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 5, 2013.

1. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Okay yeah well I'm glad we cleared that up because that's not what I'm talking about.

2. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Yes. My situation is not the traditional scenario, I realize. He is needy in that way. Along with a woman nurturing a man with support and understanding, each have to try very hard to give and receive the words with "love" behind them. When that is lost, people stop talking.

3. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

After reading everyone's views and discussing chivalry, I feel it is dead. I realized that the things I've been referring to as 'chivalrous' are just common decency, kindness, and manners. And like monkjr, I agree that this generation (or more so, society) is lacking in those things. So when someone with manners come around, it's so rare that I think of it as chivalry.

4. enhancer13

enhancer13 Senior Member

No it is not dead! There just are not to many people that practice it anymore. Just like there just are not to many people that are happy and satisfied with the person they are with. Everybody just seems to want more and not want to give to get it. I think in general there are just a lot more selfish people in the world then there used to be. I feel lucky to not be one and not be with one.

5. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Well, if we are talking "chivalry" in a strict, traditional sense, then yes it's dead. And frankly, I feel it's probably for the best that it is. One might be able to relate to that if one has read what both Willy Blue and myself posted on the traditional chivalry. I mean, the religious and monarchist discipline that was once common and valued may not be compatible with the modern ways, not to mention the practical and lethal sword fighting aspect which WAS a part of chivalry back in the medieval times. As a knight, one had to be able to fight bravely and to defeat the enemies in the name of God, Church, and the King.

But the common courtesy, valuing honour and respect, kindness, compassion... These things are still alive and kicking today. These are what people usually mean when they say "chivalry" in the modern times, and in that case, then no, THAT is not dead. People expressing respect and such to others in various ways regardless of gender: this still goes on in the world today. There are mean people, but there definitely are kind people, too. In that sense, nothing has changed throughout the history of mankind.

That's what I think. :p

6. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

^^^
    I like this post :)

7. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

It's hard to be a gentleman when very few woman know how to be a lady.

8. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

^^^^This is the absolute truth.

/thread

9. slapper

slapper Member

i firmly believe chivalry went out the door when feminism/equality came in

but i still believe in common curtsey

10. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Alright guys. Well. What are your opinions on what the behavior of a 'lady' should be like?

11. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

A lady knows when to wait, where to walk, and respecting how she is treated not just taking advantage.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

What do you mean by when to wait and where to walk?

13. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

There's some truth that females are not ladylike as much as they used to be. I'm pretty guilty of that. I'm a pistol on the tennis court.....which would be good if I reserved it to my tennis skills,.....but I mean I am overly vocal and assertive in arranging players and getting the game going. It's a type of leadership, but it can be done with grace. My upbringing was centered around being completely independent of men. All of us women are bitches.

14. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Speak for yourself ;).

15. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Because most women these days are all about me me me and just take take take. A lot of women under 30 don't even have domestic skills and expect guys just to pay for everything. For some women they think its enough just to have a hole between their legs.

And women wonder why guys aren't chivalrous when 9 times out of 10 the "nice guy" holding flowers is left out in the rain while she's in the bedroom blowing some asshole that made her cry and beat her up last week.

16. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

In my family (read more carefully)

17. enhancer13

enhancer13 Senior Member

You do make some good points here!

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it also includes holding a door open that was already opened by someone else.

i'm not sure if these are chivalry or just fast-track-to-the-friendzone.

19. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Exactly

Ladies walk on the inside of to sidewalk. The wait for the door to be opened or her chair to be pulled out for her. I'm not saying it always has to happen but it nice to be proper on the proper occasions.
    And it's not alway that people are thinking me me me it just a lot haven't been taught how to properly handle a them selves when it's right to do so.

20. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

EXACTLY! It's both in a lot of cases and lots of guys are sick of it so they're trying the asshole persona (with money maybe) since it's yielding results.