is burning man hippie ?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by cjfc, Nov 24, 2013.

1. cjfc

cjfc Member

hi Ive been looking into burning man and it looks weird but amazing and i was wondering do hippies go there ?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No only people who have spontaneously combusted.

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

You will find a hippy vibe there but it's only part of it. Burning Man attracts a very wide variety of freaks.

4. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

This hippie chick was raving about it at work last week. I don't really think I have the stomach for it anymore, nowadays. I'm sure I'd feel like a downright puritan, work ethic capitalist, next to those people.

Could you cite a few other kinds of freaks in attendance so that I'm easy on my mind?

5. cjfc

cjfc Member

yeah i could cite with other kind of freaks as long as there not violent

6. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

A lot of Steampunks as they have the art car thing. Ravers. I dunno man, lots of people who just want to party. I don't think you'd find much violence but you need to keep your stuff locked up, unlike the hippy shindigs I like to go to. There's more rowdiness. A mix of all kinds of people.

Of course I'm just going by stories from friends, videos and such. I've never been.

Here's a doc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0NdVn2O1WY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7. cjfc

cjfc Member

OK noted thanks i might try there other things like a rainbow gathering

8. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

Burning Man looks awesome if you can stand in the heat. There are a lot of performers and inventors. People of all walks of life. There are artists, dancers, druggies, bikers, people selling all sorts of things. It's a great place to meet different people.

Boss_as_Diva_Girl likes this.
  9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Selling? I'm not a burner, but I thought the playa was a gift economy.

10. happilyinlove

happilyinlove with myself :p

Burning man is hippie nouveau. I went in 2011. My BFF has been every year since 2009.

11. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bring baby wipes and dry shampoo and you're set!

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol 5 days.

You're not invited to Externsteine camp you... Glamper! :p

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It can be a fun experience but it's also the mainstream way for the CEO to do some drugs and vacation. It is well known and the crowd can reflect that.

You pay a lot of money for an experience. If that experience is worth it to you go for it. But there are many other ways to paint, drop LSD, or anything else you think Burning man offers.

Asmodean likes this.
  14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

For example, Rainbow Family gatherings, which are free.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Ha-ha. And a few of them have ended up running into the bonfire since you posted this comment.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think it started out to be. its about expensive art and people who want to play at being hippies now. not that there's anything wrong with that specifically.
    but a very expensive art convention, in the middle of nowhere, that you have to bring everything with you and leave nothing behind,
    well of course the challange of doing that, is part and parcel of what it has come to be about.

its too expensive for me, and you can't get there without a vehicle, and cars are themselves a big, if not the biggest, part of the problem we're making for ourselves with the environment.
    so i doubt i'll ever go there, or be able to. i don't much care what people call things though. and i do like the idea of people sharing imagination and art.

so i'm not against it, but there is no way in hell i expect to ever be able to make it to one.

17. jondalar7

jondalar7 Creating harmony on the planet

I am a Cowboy and a Burner. My playa name is STARMAN of the HeeBeeGeeBee camp. Buringman is freedom to do whatever you want as long as it does not mess with other people doing what they want. People who find something to complain about will always find something to complain about and those that have not been there are just making shit up from something they might have heard. I showered every night, ate amazing meals and slept comfortably. I think for a newbie it is best to volunteer at a camp. Mine takes twenty new people every year. I hang out with healers and hippies. I see many other types of people but I think we are all trying to be something other than who we are every day in the world. It is an opportunity to recreate ourselves for a week in the desert. Look for regional burns in your area. They are smaller and cheaper. I spent one night wearing the sexiest, thinnest, lingerie that I could find at the thrift shop. I got a few whistles from the red outfit. Another night I wore my boots, chaps, leather vest and a gold thong. that one was calendar worthy. I volunteered four hours each day to give free massages to other burners. The only thing you can buy there is coffee and Ice most everything else is brought by you, gifted or sometimes bartered. There are some rude people just like everywhere but they get quieted down by the peeps around them fairly quickly. The classes offered are great and the most spiritual experience of my life was at Burningman in 2009. I have been a missionary in several countries and prisons, I also practice Tantra, Buddhism, and Native American spirituality, Yet nothing prepared me for my sunrises at the temple. We sleep by day and the desert comes alive at night in more spectacular ways than you can imagine. Check out the you-tubes of it and the regionals. Plan to be able to take care of yourself. food, water, shelter and you will not be a burden and will have a great time.

18. Boss_as_Diva_Girl

Boss_as_Diva_Girl Members

It is. No money is accepted there except for coffee.....correct me if I am wrong.

19. Boss_as_Diva_Girl

Boss_as_Diva_Girl Members

I wanna go! Always have wanted to, but want a group to hang with and preferably go in a RV with a group.

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

To me it's just a rave... Lol. I don't wanna go just because it might get too big too noisy too crowded. I always do earplugs, but shoulder to shoulder isn't really my style. I think that most of the festivals I've been to are that way; burning man may well be an exception though.
    That sounds fun! :)