Is burning Incense safe to cats?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Matt1979, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I have often burnt incense sticks in my bedroom for about 4 years and sometimes my cat was on my bed. I often wondered if it was safe for her to be in the room when incense was being burnt, I always made sure the smoke wasn't going in her direction.

Sadly, my cat was put to sleep in March because she had liver failure, I don't know her exact age, but she was around 12 or 13. Of course, I'm not saying burning incense would have affected her health, but my family got 2 new cats a week later who were 6 months old at the time and since one of them has started going on my bed, I'm really concerned about burning incense just in case it might be unsafe. I also suffer from anxiety and OCD and this makes my fears worse.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Probably not. :)

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The life span of a domestic cat is about 12 years.

That being said:

Matt1979 and soulcompromise like this.
  4. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

Thanks for your replies. I think I was probably being too over concerned, but I suffer with anxiety and my pets' health has always been a main concern for me

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

No, you were right to worry. Incense is actually bad for you. You, or in this case your pet inhale/inhales lots of that smoke. Opening a window might alleviate that to some degree, but I don't think anyone would recommend it.

Matt1979 likes this.
  6. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I didn't realise incense can actually be bad for you, one or two of my friends have burnt Nag Champa quite a lot in their living rooms

soulcompromise likes this.