Is Apu from the Simpsons racist?

Discussion in 'Fascism' started by unfocusedanakin, May 1, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well... wrong season :p

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Maybe I will use the bottle?

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you should just wait until summer, no need to drink over it.

McFuddy, storch, Ged and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

5. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It is if you are honest about what that means in modern society. Acknowledging the privilege others do not have and the history of our ancestors. We need to understand history and reality. But that does not mean we whites should feel ashamed.

In general those who say that do acomplish for themselves. They seek esteem by birth and seek to not speak of the past. I'm more proud of what I did myself then my luck to born a tall blond white man. The mind and the work ethic I bring matter most.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Bit of a 180* statement. Last week I was the devil for not feeling ashamed at what i didn't do.

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I think you misunderstood what I said if this is to me. There is a difference between understanding racial relations and politics as a whole and feeling personally responsible. You can be the change without being the problem. But you must admit there is a problem.

8. You look like women should be lining up to stash dollar bills in your thong!!!

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

^Err - this isn't me...Similar bone structure, but I don't have the crackhead gene.

Tyrsonswood and Irminsul like this.
  10. Joe45432

Joe45432 Members

Who Cares in movies people are complaining that there are not enough Coloured People in movies

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Apu is gone.

At least, his voice will be gone... This link shows Hank Azaria with Steven Colbert on the Late Show discussing the situation. It's sad to see Apu go, but it's decidedly a happy kind of sad for me. I'm glad to see that someone is listening! Someone else, besides myself thinks that there are problems with depicting Indian-Americans as qwicky mart employees, and using stereotype-laden humor that whitewashes the issue surrounding ethnicity in American values. I find it personally abhorrent that the Simpsons couldn't find a way/refused to transition Apu into a more dignified role and am proud of the decisions made by Azaria; who incidentally does not speak with an accent. Who'd of thunk it! :)

Hank Azaria says he will no longer voice Apu, 3 years after 'The Simpsons' character came under scrutiny - CNN

12. Asmodean

Tragic decision of course. You are glad that people are listening, but you are also kind of sad he had to go. Guess what: he didn't had to go at all. This will not help your society get together on this issue at all, quite the contrary.

If there are too less good role models or adequate portrayals of indian-americans you as a society create more. You don't attempt to redefine or get rid of humorous characters like they're dubious fascistic propaganda and expect things to be sorted out. Many people (and not just the racist ones) take issue with this retarded form of pressuring (in this instance self-)censorship.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  13. soulcompromise

Ha!

I don't know, but I'm guessing that this is the first step into cleaning up shop so to speak. I think that the more we refine, the more progress we make toward true equality.

That said, I have fond memories of that character on the show. My wish is that they would have decided to make him retire and maybe some people from India immigrate over and go to Springfield University's STEM programs (science technology engineering & math). I think Indian-Americans like that. But even that is sort of stereotypical about their career choices. In other words, why not have them major in sociology for example. Or political science! :)

14. Asmodean

You're fooling yourself. Is the scottish janitor still in it? Just one example.
    Progress on this is made by having more and diverse portrayals of such a particular ethnic group. Not by getting rid of the more negative (but inspired on reality! ) stereotypes in comedy. This is not equality either, when it mainly pertains of portrayals to specific groups. But even if this was consequently done to every negative stereotype of any particular group it would not be solution to anything (except by triggering a healthy backlash perhaps :p).
    I'm sure you see how ridicilous it would be if we would be real consistent and consequent with getting rid of all negative stereotypes of any ethnic, cultural or religious group in comedy. And since its neither equal or a solution to do it only to those who lack positive representation... it's not a solution in any way to enforce equality. A diverse representation includes negative stereotypes in comedy, not getting rid of them.

soulcompromise likes this.
  15. soulcompromise

Oh, that's a perfect example! They need to watch that, because talk about stereotypical. That's not good. Doesn't he even have a flask of something? I can't remember if he drinks. Anyway, I think that janitor would be a good way for them to show that they care about immigrants. They could change his clothes - show him dressed up at church or some kind of thing for example.

I fully agree! And their characters don't have to be fixed into one single role. I can hardly imagine why they would be so short sighted as to only have Apu doing one meager thing - the qwicky mart. Lol.

16. Asmodean

You do not fully agree with that quoted line of mine there if with 'diverse portrayals' you do not include negative stereotypes in comedy. You left the nuancing and essential part out.

No, not at all. Why exactly? So people like you can act like that kind of humour and thinking is gone?

17. soulcompromise

In that case I apologize for the misrepresentation of your meaning.

I think all in all what I'm trying to get at is that groundskeeper Willy (is that his name?) is just another example of stereotyping on the Simpsons. Oh I know people like it. But I don't think it's right.

18. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

This shit here is why I gave up watching the Simpsons. Once a glorious show, that wasn't afraid of mocking anybody or anything, is now kowtowing to a bunch of SJW snowflakes. Fucking pathetic. Season 25 was the last one that I finished completely (with difficulty, I might add, because of the uneven episode quality and poor time slot), and with this, I have no reason to come back.

What comedians should understand is that once you go down this road, there's no end to it. You'll spend the rest of your life on your knees, apologizing to everybody. You just wait and see, they'll probably get rid of Dr. Hibbert next, because some asshole starts thinking that he's a racist stereotype. This shit is something that the show itself used to make fun of once upon a time.

CloudyMushroom and Asmodean like this.
  19. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

People getting upset because society has said it isn't ok to be racist anymore are very concerning

20. Asmodean

'Society has said'...: Society also consists of those people who think the humour in the Simpsons is entirely ok. And it's not a small part of society (and no, they're not all racist either). You do know it's ok to not like everything? You could just change the channel. It's not like they're preaching to discriminate asians or scots. It's not ment as hatespeech in any way.

guerillabedlam likes this.