Is anyone worried about climate change anymore?

Discussion in 'Global Warming' started by Fueled by Coffee, Sep 23, 2013.

1. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You can't call a consensus of 95% of scientists "alarmist" without sounding ignorant.

You are a demagogue when you claim the word "denier" is used to make us think of the Holocaust. That is not true at all. You are a denier because you deny reality. You think your liberty is threatened if you have to pay $10 more in taxes. You are living in your own little world.

2. Sig

Sig Senior Member

This is how it starts.....

3. odonII

odonII O

I don't know anybody that was/is fearful or concerned of/about 'global warming'/'climate change'. I'm not - never have been.
    I'm really talking about peoples interest in the abstract (is it true or not) and participation in reducing their 'carbon footprint' - which seems to have morphed into just looking after our environment: for e.g not wishing for billions of plastic bags to be floating around the oceans/waterways etc.
    I think most people that do take some concern with regards to their 'carbon footprint' are more concerned about cleaning up the (or their) environment in general - and reducing the impact they have on the environment.
    So are not so interested in how that might prevent 'global warming'/'climate change' per se - if it does, then it's a bonus.

As for 'climate laws' isn't that pretty much underway already. In place: 'clean energy' landfill taxes etc etc etc etc...

The UK Landfill Tax was introduced in 1996 by Conservative Secretary of State for the Environment, John Gummer, and was the UK's first environmental tax. Landfill tax is seen as a key mechanism in enabling the UK to meet its targets set out in the Landfill Directive for the landfilling of biodegradable waste. Through increasing the cost of landfill, other advanced waste treatment technologies with higher gate fees are made to become more financially attractive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_tax

26 U.S.C. 4681 - IMPOSITION OF TAX

Amount of tax
    (1) Ozone-depleting chemicals
    (A) In general
    The amount of the tax imposed by subsection (a) on each pound of ozone-depleting chemical shall be an amount equal to—
    (i) the base tax amount, multiplied by
    (ii) the ozone-depletion factor for such chemical.

I obviously can't list them all from all over the world...

Taxes/Fines imposed on gov' and business we end up having to pay for or reduce...

4. bligh

bligh Guest

Folks are very interested in Global Climate Change.....Have you read the IPCC or State of the Climate reports. Have you been following the dramatic changes that are going on in the Arctic or Antarctica. I know these places seem so very far away, however they are the front lines in Climate Change. These changes have been well documented and represent a change that will effect the entire planet, from agro to power supply, including livable environments. This is, without exception, the most important issue facing the planet ever, excluding nuclear holocaust.

5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

"Under my plan of a cap and trade system, energy rates will necessarily skyrocket"

-Barack Obama

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

That could be the case for some. But there's not much correlation between carbon emissions and littering. I noticed when around the time global warming switched its name to climate change, more people felt guilty about traveling.

I always assumed a landfill tax was mostly paying for the cost of sending the garbage trucks to our cities and collecting the refuse. It sure saves everyone lots of trouble to het in their own vehicles and haul all their garbage to the same area. But I guess every policy on this subject is variable from place to place.

7. odonII

odonII O

I dunno. It's just about being 'green' I guess.

Oh, they charge us to get our rubbish picked up, too..

https://www.gov.uk/government/polic...ey/supporting-pages/bins-and-waste-collection

Under European Union directives, councils must reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill by half of 1995 levels by 2013 or face fines of up to £180 million per year.
    If the targets are missed it could cost councils £7 million each per year. This would equate to around £30 per household.
    Even if the EU targets are met, individual councils that do not meet separate targets set by the UK Government face costs of up to £2 million each per year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...to-EU-fines-for-missing-landfill-targets.html

European landfill directive

8. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

What do I know? Does Putin really care? It's him and Obama that will test the time of it.

9. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Well they are worried about the personnel at Ford. Just for now. They can't fire them yet; there is the auto-pact with the UAW. Suddenly, the budget was introduced into their probes of partisanship in voting at Washington.

I don't know. Partisanship is to decided the conflict of interest? What does that mean when it is the accounting of the gas prices and the weather outside.

Republicans believe. :afro:

10. odonII

odonII O

Isn't talking to yourself the first sign of madness?

11. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Any day now I will join the revolution. IT IS not democratic.:bigcry:

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What is the basic difference between those that consider that it's not possible that industry is causing the changes we see and those that accept that THERE ARE changes and that those changes are/may be affected by the pursuits of humankind? If the capitalist industrial machine were to be slowed down to counteract changes to the earths environment, if in fact it's found that industry IS guilty of causing them--that would mean many peoples money sources would have to be altered on a grand scale. Less money IS NOT ACCEPTABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Those of us that are considering that the scientists may be correct or even somewhat correct, believe that we should begin to consider alteration ---JUST IN CASE. Because what if the scientists are right?? What then? Do we just keep taking the chance that we humans can actually commit suicide,as it were, just to keep the present -use -it -up philosophy, so that the money flowing and industry belching out pollutants continues in the same way?? The great mass of humanity has no choice in the matter. The decisions are up to the monied/power class, sooooooo-------------------.

Giant islands of plastic , oil, and a radioactive plume befouling the Pacific, horrendous storms EVERYWHERE with much loss of life, governments frozen up with elected child-like big people, millions starving and being killed and tortured, 30,000 children A DAY, dying because no one cares, endless wars to benefit the MI complex. Of course humans have nothing to do with any of this---------yeah. We're doing a great job of running this joint. Let's just wait and see what happens. That'll work.

13. andrew45

andrew45 Member

why should we . 4 seasons are over . we got 2 now . summer winter . so its too late .

14. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Heh, thats the way it seems around here

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Less than 2% of all water on earth is tied up in polar caps, glaciers, pemanent snow, aound 24 million cubic kilometres, surface area of earth is 510 million square kilometers.

On a simple eqation, that equates to a layer 47 metres deep across the whole earth if that were all to melt, around 80 meters if just added to the sea parts.

Thats not accounting for more complex calculations on the effect of gravity and pressure on water, the moons tidal forces, earths rotational spin, the water cycle, how much would seep into ground water, how much would end up water vapour, land areas lower than sea level.

So 80 metres would be the absolute max, a mere fraction of that once you do more realistic calculations, which would still only take away a vey small [ercentage of the land mass we know today

During the last ice age sea levels where 120m below what they are now, and sea levels have only risen 0.2m in the last 100 years

There never has been enough water on the planet for doomsday scenarios where the earth gets flooded.

Also, on computer modelling, the fastest computer at the moment is China's Tianhe-2 at 33x10^15 ops per second.

Calculating a system of 100 variables and there effect on each other would take the form of 100^(100-1) calculations, at 10 ops per calculation it will still take that computer 9.6*10^76 years to finish.

All computer modelling is based on the computer you are going to use in the first place, once you get to a models that require calculations with polynomials of a high degree(something to the something power), too high a complexity, your fucked.

We are not even remotely close to anything thats going to handle millions of variables with any reliable degree of accuracy for something like a climate model, not years, not a hundred years, a thousand, not even a million years. To claim so is preposturous

16. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

We are now worried about how the use of the LAW can be communicated for the understanding of the presence of economic contracts. What we use the law is important to how we shall get involved in the future of business's in this country.

SO it is the position at the moment of economic risk and failure of the American government to promote against the narrow minded science of old America; it is the position of the U.S. to allow the slow down of the economy for deconstructive type economic issues. Let the people go on babbling about their independence for economic planning.

No, I say!! We must inform ourselves of better progressive alternatives in the heart tolerant financing and able-body-ness. We must take our education into better account.

It's an inconvenient Truth.:biker:

17. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

18. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Russia, or at least outside Moscow. That's where they worry about it with guilty feelings.:sultan:

19. odonII

odonII O

That's what I was thinking. I've read a few post by A and they don't seem to have any connection to the topic at all. I'm just letting A get on with it :D
    (That's why I didn't respond A)

20. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

You DO mention committing suicide upon our business's. What it needs is the right kind of ignorance the right on medicare and fiscal policy cannot accept. They shall share their ideas better that way.

Also, someone earlier. are you saying too late to share our ideas for the understanding they give us on guilt for health waste and responsible arrogance.:biker: