Is anyone worried about climate change anymore?

Discussion in 'Global Warming' started by Fueled by Coffee, Sep 23, 2013.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I'm just wondering.

There's not nearly as much media coverage on this issue as there used to be. And people just aren't voicing their concerns about this as much as they did 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually glad people don't seem to be worried about it like they used to be. It's pure garbage. And, with hardly anybody freaking out over this issue, that means its very very unlikely they'll ever pass a carbon tax :2thumbsup:

It might be that the media just doesn't seem to be talking about it as much, and because society is enslaved by the media and follows all its trends, they probably aren't as concerned. But one can only hope that it may have been the climategate incident that contributed to the destruction of the global warming hype.

Maybe now we can focus on more serious environmental issues that threaten the planet.

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

yeah, like Football and all the trash it accumulates..

Or like how 100,000 douchebags showed up for the game. Where are the 100,000 douchebags demanding better jobs, better housing, lower fuel cost, ending wars? ?. ..

[​IMG]

3. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

I just go with the flow brother

4. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I haven't been to the 'Family' cabin on the beach in Rocky Point, Mexico in probably 35 years (long story).

I remember as a kid it used to take at least a minute or two to get to the ocean from the front porch, at high tide.

Now, I'm told the ocean is almost at the cabin at high tide, lol...eek.

And the big/beautiful white sandy beach in front of the cabin that I used to play on as a kid is now a coral reef, or some shit like that.
    :eek:

5. odonII

odonII O

It's the ebb and flow of issues. We are in the ebb of the issue. Has there been anything new on the horizon in the past couple of years? Expectations have been made and countries are just getting on with getting on with what they feel they need to do.
    I'm sure the environmental issues concerning 'climate change' have not vanished.

How many threads are there about 9/11?

How many threads are there about the situation in Kenya?

People - especially Americans - are interested in topics that they feel like.

It doesn't mean the issue isn't there.

6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you are living in a different world than I.....

the last few of you...and yes you are now a tiny fraction of the population...... that are denying and/or not recognizing the scary aspects of global warming are just fodder for us to joke about and ridicule

you just made 2 ridiculous statements with absolutely nothing but your seemingly ill informed opinion to back it up.....your blanket statements on the media are too funny....do you actually think up there in Oregon you get a taste of the media of the world?

you should pull out a freak storm from 1923 and then claim weird weather has been happening all along...that's the classic argument you people always use....its been shot down more times than me at the bar:)

7. odonII

odonII O

'climate change' more represents the issues. 'global warming' is a little too specific.

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

People care about what the media tells them to care about at the time. As soon as the news stops covering it, people forget about it.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

up here is different

i have some family living on the shores of lake Huron...15 years ago i could walk on the neighbours rock pier and watch the carp swimming by in 4 feet of water

today i can walk where those fish were...and then have to walk out more to actually get my feet wet

that house has gained at least 100 feet of extra distance between old and new water edge

for me id be more worried if they had predicted global cooling..because it sure doesnt feel warmer at all on my end

10. odonII

odonII O

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Everything in this country gets its "15 minutes", as Warhol said. Old news now, I guess. How're the kardashians today??

Ew--that hurt to even type that name.

12. odonII

odonII O

'climate change' warming and cooling. ;)

13. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Seems to me we've about used up this one. Should we recycle it?

14. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Plate tectonics then?

All I know is that I don't know.

I read recently that the whole Earth was frozen over at one time in the past.

15. 6-eyed shaman

A tiny fraction of those bold enough to express their politically incorrect views. Any voices that contradicted man-made climate change were shunned as heresy by the global warming church.

I do realize lots still cling to the belief that climate change is man-made. But I noticed that skeptics don't get attacked as hard as they used to.

No, up here in Oregon we still ride covered wagons to and from work. Lol.

16. 6-eyed shaman

This makes sense and I agree with what you say. I'm sure if there is another scandal or scientific breakthrough, society may go crazy about it once again. As for the 9/11 threads, most of them are about arguing the truth behind the commission report, and more people are welcoming to contrarian arguments on that issue too.

Totally

17. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus-intermediate.htm

As this figure shows, the majority (~85%) of participants are academics, and approximately half of all participants are Earth Scientists. Thus the average climate science expertise of the participants is quite good. Approximately 90% of participants responded that human activity has had a primary influence over global temperatures over the past 250 years, with the other 10% answering that it has been a secondary cause, and none answering either that humans have had no influence or that temperatures have not increased. Note also that the participants expected less than 80% to peg humans as the primary cause, and a few percent to say humans have no influence - the consensus was significantly better than the participants anticipated (Figure 4).
    [​IMG]

"The following scientific organizations endorse the consensus position that "most of the global warming in recent decades can be attributed to human activities":

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Its called climate change, like odon said. Its a less offensive term than "global warming" because it shifts responsibility from man-made warming to natural shifts in weather patterns.

I personally think it is a mix of both.

19. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I honestly don't see how any normal shmoe who's not involved interperating the data in that highly complex field of study can have a meaningful personal opinion. I personally will defer to the consensus of the majority of academics in the field.

20. odonII

odonII O

Well, we've been told to: recycle, use less energy (turn off lights etc), conserve water - the list goes on.
    We know the ice-caps are retreating.
    We know the ozone layer is repairing itself...
    There isn't much else they can ask us to do or tell us, really...
    It's just the boring drudgery of it all now, I guess...
    I hope you caught the thought that just because it isn't on as many newsfeeds anymore it hasn't dissapeared, and the same organisations are still plugging away at it (as it were)...

There might be a blip in the news on Friday!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24149439

'the truth behind'? - that it isn't true? (is that what you are inferring?)