Is anyone familiar with Woodstock?

Discussion in 'New York' started by Jude96, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Jude96

Jude96 Members

not sure where else to post but the wife and i have been browsing Woodstock real estate for over a year just for fun. we live in windham now which isn't overly far but does anyone have opinions on the town and actually living there? house isn't on market yet

2. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I was there back in 1969, a few months after the festival. What can I tell you?

3. Jude96

Jude96 Members

off topic but did you go to idlewild

4. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Naaa, there's a city in Colorado called Idlewild that I've driven through a few times, and I liked the name.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Might be interesting to visit Woodstock just for the novelty. I've never been.

If you want to live somewhere that's hip, I'd recommend Denver for the urban-ite in you, or Arcata, CA which you might really like.

Of the two, I liked Denver more, & if you're from New York (isn't Woodstock in NY?) then it's a no-brainer... :)

6. Jude96

Jude96 Members

oh okay.

7. Jude96

Jude96 Members

I'm originally from NY but I lived in Cali for a while before moving back upstate in 2017. my wife lived in Cali and Colorado lol i guess we're more cliche than I thought.
    wifey keeps showing me this little cabin in Woodstock lol we're in windham so we aren't far but I don't want to be right in the heart of it. idk why. I've thought about it but I've kinda been changing my mind

GypsyHolly83 and soulcompromise like this.
  8. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

The village of Woodstock is kind of hippy - ish. It is also not the location of the Woodstock concert. The original plan was for it to be held there. Thus the name. But the concert was moved to Bethalwoods. Yasger whose farm they used agreed to host it on his farm. There is a nice museum there now and the original field where it was held is maintained for history

9. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Much of the 1993 film, Groundhog Day, was shot in Woodstock, IL. The town square, B&B, bar and other Woodstock locations where much of the film was shot look just as they did in the film. I've done some work in the town, and if you work nearby, or in Chicago and don't mind long commutes, Woodstock would be a very nice place to live.

10. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

When people say Woodstock I just think of the concert and the village of Woodstock NY. It didn't even dawn on me that other states have towns with that same name

11. Granite69

Granite69 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Familiar with both Windham and Woodstock and quite honestly don’t see a ton of difference between the two. Both outstanding classic Catskills kind of towns. Of course, in Woodstock, you have the gradually-thinning herd of folks who either never left or moved there as an identity statement kind of thing, but that’s not really going to have an impact on everyday life IMO. The last I knew, a bit of that Woodstock Music Festival spirit still existed either from the original ‘69 event or the ‘94 remix with the Town Judge famously dismissing all unlawful possession of marihuana cases that appeared in his court. And, as stated above, Bethel Woods is a great outdoors music venue ... saw Tim McGraw there with my wife a few years back. 10/10. Overall though, in terms of a real change kind of thing, I’d judge from my perch that a Windham to Woodstock move would be mostly a sideways kind of thing.

Jude96 likes this.
  12. Jude96

Jude96 Members

This was super helpful actually. Thank you. I think we're staying here. My wife fell in love with a house there that is no longer on the market so I think we're Windham bound still. Thanks man.

Granite69 likes this.