Is anyone else completely unimpressed with the PS4?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Americunt, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I gotta say, I kind of hate it. Maybe I'm biased because I was an Xbox girl before I bought one, but I feel like there's not as many games to choose from, and lately all I'm seeing is remastered games that I played 10-15 years ago, or 8-bit/anime/indie games. I don't mind it every once in a while, but where's the meat? Take Final Fantasy for instance- I was looking at release dates last night, and there was a time where a new FF game was released every 1-2 years, and they were fun, in-depth, etc. But FF15 came out last year after, what, 7 years? It was one of the most boring games I ever played. It looked nice, but the story was kind of meh and it was full of the same quests, just in different areas.

Am I alone in thinking this way? I find myself wondering if I've just outgrown it all.

2. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I think it's mostly the quality of the games that I'm annoyed with. I want to believe I'm not too old :D

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Ps4 is my first playstation console, had the first Xbox (the competitor with the ps2) and the xbox 360 and at the time wouldn't think i would switch from xbox to playstation. One important reason being the shitty ps controller and the superb xbox ones. If the ps4 still had a controller like the ps2 and 3 i would probably play on an xbox1 now.

After carefully looking at the pros and cons I went with the playstation4 instead of the new xbox and I for one don't regret it at all! :) It works great online, plenty of awesome games (i guess this depends on taste), equally great controller as xbox... nope, I don't know what the OP is talking about. Of course i for one enjoyed several remasters of ps exclusives but yeah, i missed them as a xbox guy, so its great for me i could play a remastered version of Uncharted and The last of us. Would not have missed that!

ThatsMe likes this.
  4. Asmodean

I definitely outgrown certain kind of games, like the Doom kind of shooter. With other kind of games it depends on details. Its like with movies: the more you watch of a particular genre, the more critical you become. And in the end you get enough of it, at least for a good while :p So I like free roam and also tolkien like fantasy, but not everything free roam or sword and magic fantasy based is enjoyable or interesting for me to play. This is not always a quality problem of the game itself

1 person likes this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I liked final fantasy xv at first, but now I'm tired of it. I should probably start a new game before I get so bored of my xbox1 that it goes back to gamestop. I might pick up Assassins Creed: Origins in December when college lets out. For now I have enough reading to do most times that I don't feel right about gaming somehow.

1 person likes this.
  6. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I could really go for a new Mario or something like that.

7. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I had a ps4 for quite a while.....though, i never played on it that much so I eventually sold it....modern computer games are so immersive nowadays they pretty much take over your life (& I just can't be bothered with that any more)...I must be getting old..lol.

1 person likes this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm kind of unimpressed with any machine that can only play games someone else has written, and not do much of anything else, however well it might do that one thing.
    main reason i still don't own ANY dedicated game machine.

i have other hobbies i spend what little i have on. they don't leave anything left over for something i can't make creative use out of.
    (and yes, i don't own a television either)

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its is cos you are getting older though

I used to be all over PS1, 23 years later, pfft, I havent payed a console game in a good 5 years

You will get pickier, complain about PS4 more, get bored of every game, then finally give up ;)

10. Asmodean

Then moving away from the xbox was a good step, but going for the playstation not :p
    Unless of course you don't mind getting more than one console :-D
    I totally outgrown most Nintendo games as it seems. The only game I know I would enjoy is a newer Mariokart. But yeah, I don't want to get a console for one or 2 games (if i had one i would probably get the new Zelda as well).
    Ps4 with its great variety in action/adventure and rpgs really suits me most these days

11. Asmodean

I was planning on just waiting til the price drops with AC: Origins because meh, i took notice of so many AC games and I wanna play it, sure. But not in a hurry.
    Now i got some more insight of the game I'm getting rather excited and may get it before next year :p It looks retardedly promising!
    I did have another singleplayer on the agenda (Horizon zero dawn) but am now doubting which one i will get first. You might wanna check out Horizon zero dawn as well if you love great graphics in a strange yet spectacular setting!

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Actually, I sold my xbox1 yesterday and bought a regular dvd player and some sushi. I guess I wasn't really using it. I might buy one again someday, but right now I'm mostly focusing on school. It's not so much that I'm really busy, but school traditionally would be a priority over gaming. So yeah... no Horizon Zero Dawn for me. Did you ever play Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor? If not, that was pretty fun for a short while. They've made a new one though; Middle Earth: Shadow of War as a follow up. You may enjoy that game because it's sort of open world and has elements of fantasy from the Tolkien stories and of course movies.

13. Asmodean

I just saw some vids of Shadow of war last week (when i was getting up to date on new games and got myself turned on for the new AC...) and the in game footage i saw didn't appeal to me at all! I'm quite a nitpicker though. Certainly with epic fantasy (there's so many ways to do it wrong or... not to my liking :p). Skyrim for example got lots of complains (esp from Morrowind fans) but was a highlight for me :)

1 person likes this.
  14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are beautiful settings in many of today's games,
    but dam it, i want to be able to level up BY building things IN them,
    not having to just go around with a weapon destroying and beating on things.
    (and not just exploring and solving puzzles without being able to either)

(not denying that a lot of people have fun as part of a raiding party of some kind, or some sort of vicarious competition,
    but for me, that's a major missing part of any world, including how difficult, if you're not born with money or well paid,
    to be able to have a place to build in real life too.

i mean if the major point of games is to be able to do things in them, you'd never get away with in real life,
    why isn't there more demand also, for being able to do things in games, that while we might not get in trouble for in real life, i heck of a lot of people,
    why such a majority rent instead of owning a house or land, a real majority of people in this world any more, seldom get the chance to)

(there probably are some good first responder sims, though i don't off hand know of any,
    but a first person crew, actually building (and by actually building i don't mean, just choosing preferences off of some sort of a finite manu)
    things its members creatively design, like houses, public buildings and spaces, or infrastructure,
    i just really don't understand people, that there isn't more of a market for this, unless maybe today, that's just so far outside of anyone's experience?)

15. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I know, I just don't want to admit it :'(

16. Asmodean

If FF and Mario are your fav kind of games that could be (part of) the reason Ps4 is underwhelming.
    I dislike games that are all about action and reflexes from begin to end these days. I prefer action/adventure that is story driven, not primarily action driven, and has the intensive action well timed. Then I can still love it. Oh yeah and for me somehow an action/adventure game is ought to have some good puzzles. But frankly i appreciated that a lot 20 years ago already

1 person likes this.
  17. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I did buy a Nintendo Wii so I could play some Mario games, and you know what happened? I freaking hurt my hand using that tinyass controller! Seriously, the joint in my hand is still fucked, and this was probably 2-3 months ago.

I played HZD- it was pretty cool at first, but I found myself getting bored with it after a while.

I did enjoy Skyrim- not as much as Oblivion, but that really was my first love from the franchise- and I was dying for an online multiplayer Elder Scrolls game, so when Tamriel Online came out I was ecstatic. But as time went on I got bored with that too :( It is in no way the same as a full ES game. It's like ES-lite.

Did you play Fallout 4? You can build bases in that one.
    Fortnite combines horde waves with building.

I love the puzzle aspect of games like Oblivion, Zelda, and Soul Reaver.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i have been under-utilizing my ps4. i mostly just don't know what games to get anymore. you can't just buy a $10 game and have fun with it these days, you need to invest $60 and 60 hours just to get through the tutorials. and now that i'm all adult and shit, i can't just try my friends' games because most of them don't play much either.

it is good for netflix and hulu though.

1 person likes this.
  19. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

What they like to do now is charge $60 for the game, $20 for a season pass (all future DLC at one low price!), then after a few months re-release the same game with all of the DLC as a "golden edition" or some other nonsense, and charge $60 for the whole thing.

20. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

There is so much more code that goes into a game now. Millions and millions of lines compared to tens of thousand on a PS1. It really takes years to make some of these games. Also, sometime like Final Fantasy is a highlight, they are not going to blow their load too quickly they will make you wait.

I've been a Playstaion fan since childhood. I had a Xbox and Xbox 360 but I only really played the 360. The 360 was the one to have over PS3 but in my opinion every other time you wanted the Sony. For me there is so much variety I can not even play everything. Games sit on my hard drive for months sometimes. They are milking the remasters though. Maybe that's because no one played them on the PS3 they all had a 360 too.

1 person likes this.
  21. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I hope the PS4 is good. Just got mine hooked up, but haven't played yet.