Is American flag culture bad?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Eleven

Eleven Member

Oh, I'm sure there are people working malevolently to weaken the border. "Mother Jones" had a story a few years ago. Hormel sped up it's line so much workers became ill. Hormel was so sympathetic, and did all it could to help. Then, low and behold, Hormel "discovered" the workers were in the country illegally. No more liability! No more workers' compensation!

The people in the board rooms are smart enough to know that illegals come with such a potential advantage. Besides, when the country has 11-13 million here illegally, that is bad in many ways. It's bad for the environment. Those millions were not checked to see if they had criminal records, or were wanted for crimes in Mexico. Their precarious status here makes it easier for employers to dominate them.

The irony is that the anarchists, Marxists, and others in the far left are on the same side of the issue as the 1%.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't know, man...

I don't see that as an advantage. It's like one crackdown away from being a liability. I agree that no one holds them accountable though.

Really, I don't see a border issue. I see a human rights one though. And I think that's where you see a lot of conservative ideologues losing the battle because they attempt to discount the validity of the human rights aspect of immigration or asylum or the visa program and travel bans.

They place a limit with half-good intentions, but I think ultimately greed will be the undoing of those policies. At least for the whole wanting only educated immigrants and stuff like that. It's just a bad policy I think.

3. Eleven

Eleven Member

I took a class once, by a man who worked with police and studied murder cases. And I know about all the femicides in Juarez. I'm all for screening people. Heck, if communes can insist people schedule visits, and then make them go through a provisional membership, the country can do the equivalent.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Funny because I have said the same thing I said here to a room full of vets. They didn't care. And much to your sadness I'm sure no one punched me. They were all left wing types who feel let down by the service though. They don't watch Fox as far I know.

Don't be such a snowflake it's just a piece of cloth that means nothing compared to standing up for what really matters. If there is no debate or free speech why serve? Like I said they worry about this stuff in North Korea and China not here.

There is a big difference between honoring service and worshiping it at the cost of making their death in vein. Sad you don't see the difference.

5. unfocusedanakin

I may not stand for an anthem but I would never place the American flag on my ass because it's my shorts or break many other rules. Until the right wing stops doing the same I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

All my examples here can be found in abundance in right wing circles. Who really hates the flag?

4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag

(b)
    The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

[​IMG]

(g)
    The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

[​IMG]

(h)
    The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

[​IMG]
    (i)
    The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

[​IMG]

(j)
    No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

[​IMG]

soulcompromise likes this.
  6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I get your point but I don’t think those examples count as actual flags under the law. Since those items were not cut from an actual flag they don’t count. Instead they just borrow the colors and design from the flag. That’s why those things are exempt.

Renn likes this.
  7. unfocusedanakin

Anything with the flag becomes the flag.

soulcompromise likes this.
  8. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There is a difference between honest patriotism and blind obedience. Patriotism does not mean supporting one’s country when it does cruel and inhumane things like discrimination against minorities, destroying our Mother Earth, leaving the WHO, ignoring the poor and downtrodden both at home and in other countries, punishing Hispanics at the border, the war in Vietnam, supporting despots in Brazil, just to name a few. True patriotism means not fudging the Census, gerrymandering legislative districts, and pardoning criminals who are friends of the President. A challenge to the Trumpites and Republicans....go ahead and make us proud of our country by doing admirable things. Flying American flags out the window of your pickup doesn’t cut it for real patriots.

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I agree flag laws can be weird

10. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I agree these people who wear "flags" as clothing are faux patriots.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I never understood why we pledged allegiance to the flag and not to the country itself. And if the pledge is so important, why don't we do it as adults? To all the people who'd be outraged if it was taken out of schools, are you saying it every morning before starting your day?

Renn likes this.
  12. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Flag culture is much different now then during then cold war with the USSR. It was unifying.

Cold war ended in 1991, people quickly stopped being proud of our freedoms and dedicated to preserving them and by the mid 90s the "zero tolerance" and police state mentality kicked in and people did not resist.

During the cold war people would have rejected it and said this is not Russia we can't have this here and be like them.

Even in school when I was real young if they made an unfair rule the most common reaction was to make references to the USSR.