Irreversible

Discussion in 'Movies' started by FNA, Aug 4, 2004.

1. FNA

FNA Member

What a fucked up movie. See it - but, NO, don't see it. No wait, see it, if you have the stomach for it.

What did some people think of if?

I had to turn it off the first time, cause I was so disgusted. But fuck, what a powerful movie. Made you not only realize how bad rape is - it made you FEEL it! FUUUUCK.

Oh, and Monica Belushi is amazing.....

2. Hoon

Hoon Member

I liked this movie a lot, but then again I like disturbing movies like this. The movie really made a point though showing that rape isn't glamorous or sexy like most hollywood movies make it out to be these days, this movie shows the brutalness and pain of it all. It's definetly not for the squeamish. Also Monica Belucci and Vincent Cassel are married in real life.

3. Natarsha

Natarsha Member

Has anyone seen this movie ?

What did you think of it ?

I loved the fire exthingusher scene and the trippy parts of it, especially the start or was the the ending haha, if you saw it you'll know what I mean.

I saw it at the movies when it came out, I really enjoyed it.

4. All Cats Are Ray

All Cats Are Ray Member

I thought it wasn't that good. It was a case of "style over substance." The backwards moving plot, the 'trippy' camera-work and the violence all seemed a little gimmicky. The plot was really, really thin. Things happened at random, the characterisation techniques were cheesy and none of the characters were particularly appealing... they just didn't seem very three-dimensional. The rape scene was really brutal, but at the end I asked, "what was the point? to shock the audience for no reason?"

For me, a movie has to raise a question or make a point, or at least elicit a considered emotional response. As far as I could tell, the only thing this movie said was "the world is fucked up, and no one deals with it well."

5. Natarsha

Natarsha Member

Note to self: this movie isn't horror haha

6. green_revolution

green_revolution Member

For me this was one of the best (and most shocking) movies I have ever seen. Personally I thought the characters were really well portrayed, but maybe you have to live in france to understand it better.

7. youngjoshuatree

youngjoshuatree Banned

I allways try to tell my friends about this movie and they never have heard of it. I also loved the fire extingusher scence because it looked so real..I cant really remeber alott of the movies that i watched but i do remeber the rape scene being alittle to much

8. jamaican_youth

jamaican_youth Senior Member

What exactly is there to love about a scene where a man gets his head bashed into mush?

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Didn't you read the name of the film? (I say to myself, basically)

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I loved this movie. It's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.

Throughout the beginning few scenes I was really worried that it was going to be all form without function (despite having seen Enter the Void), and boy was I wrong.

Nothing has ever showed the horrors of violence as well as this movie. Not violence in my real life nor Holocaust documentaries. I used to think that if anything ever happened to my girl, I would want revenge; not so sure anymore. That's a powerful fucking movie.

I saw it because Enter the Void was so shocking and such an experience and because Vincent Cassel blew me away in Black Swan (how did he not even get nominated for Best Supporting Actor?!); and neither Gasper Noe or any of the cast let me down in the least bit.

I feel like movies are an art form that should truly provoke an experience and it's clear that Noe agrees with this sentiment.

And Cassel's even rivaling Daniel Day-Lewis as my favorite actor.

I usually don't say this about movies I've only seen once, but it's definitely one of my favorite movies.

11. Ellynx69

Ellynx69 Members

I was morbidly fascinated because it was in a countdown of controversial films. The rape scene was brutal, disturbing and hard to watch. Very much reminded me of the rape scene in What's Love Got To Do With It. What about the violence in it? That was gruesome too!