Ironic

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by cynical_otter, May 13, 2004.

1. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

Did you guys know that Playboy Magazine and Enterprises is almost completely female ran??

Hugh Hefner's daughter is the CEO of Playboy and ALL of the editors of the magazine are women. even the majority of crew are women.

it's funny that Playboy could end being the number 1 wealthiest female business.

FYI: Playboy also owns Playgirl.lol.

I found this to be ironic and one has to wonder if Playboy can still be used as fodder by uber-feminists.

2. renee

renee Member

Pfft, I can't stand Playboy. :eek:

3. day_tripper77

day_tripper77 Member

lol.. i was thinking the same thing :D

4. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I don't mind playboy...hustler is gross

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I am not sure what an uber feminist is, but Playboy is still a periodical for wankers and losers IMO. I didn't used to mind Playboy (Bear had a subscription, sigh.) But in the last few years they have gotten mighty misogynist. The "Playboy Advisor" column, which used to be quite good, is now an advocate of leaving your womyn if she won't have a three way, tips on how to screw your ex wife out of child custody, even if you don't really want the kids yourself and other really nasty and ridiculous things.

And ALL the womyn are fake. I'm a breast expert, I can spot an implant a mile away. NONE of the womyn in Playboy have their original forms anymore.

I can't even read it for the interviews anymore, without getting angry. Last month's Johnny Depp interview, (which I was really looking forward to) was terrible.

6. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

well..some of the breasts are real lol.

I remember when Roseanne Barr posed for Playboy(yep..she really did) and her boobs are definitely real.

I think the only real boobs are the ones on the celebrities that pose but all the regular models are about as real as Hogwart's.

I wonder with all the woman editors why they would allow such articles promoting such hateful views and advice?

Oh and an uber-feminist is one of those feminists that get offended by everything and everyone.

I got scolded once by one for allowing my date to pay for me...i get scolded by them for being a STAHM because they liken that to being an enslaved baby factory.

ALOT of uberfeminists tend to also be one of those child-freers.

7. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

oh..maybe the editors allow such articles because they are trying to too hard to not become a female magazine that they end up exaggerating this idea of a macho male.

kinda like drag-queens....they exaggerate being women to the point of stereotyping.

8. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

LOL that's what I was thinking.
    Never read playboy myself, but it's good to know I'm not missing much (of anything good).

Sure it can be fuel for feminists, exploited women and pervy pics are still just that, whether edited by guys or not.

In fact it could be argued that women putting this stuff out is even worse because they're 'betraying the sisterhood'.

TTFN

Sage

9. ohjinn

ohjinn Member

I just think Playboy has become incredibly cheesy. I mean, The Women of Walmart? Get a grip. It seems very sensationalist, desperately latching onto whatever seems to be the hot topic. Didn't they have a Women of Enron spread? It has a very embarrassing, tacky feel to me now, where the older ones seemed to have a certain element of..class? sort of. More substance, more variation in women. Heff is pretty gross now, too. I saw an interview clip in which he declared that Playboy is about illustrating beauty of women in all forms, all shapes (paraphrasing), and proceeds to parade around with 7 live (in varying degrees) Barbie dolls on his arms. Complete lack of class.

10. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I don't see anything wrong with Playboy. Those woman who pose for that have every right pose naked if they want to. I think it's more insulting to tell woman that they can't do that than anything.

As far as I'm concerned, feminism is about giving woman equal rights to chose to be who they want to be. By taking that option away, you're actually telling a woman that they can't be who they want to be or do what they want to do, and that's no good.