Iron Man 3

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, May 3, 2013.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Iron Man 3
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    May 3, 2013

This was my must see movie this weekend and after flooding thunderstorms yesterday afternoon with a prediction of more today from this weather system, I vowed that I would wrap myself in plastic and bike to the Cinema to see this movie. Well, Thor must've rewarded my valor for today was a blue-sky, sunny bike ride to this third installment of the Iron Man series. (Fourth if you consider The Avengers, which was often referenced in this movie.)

This movie starts with a backstory in 1999 where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) relates how he created his own demons without realizing it. This was before the cave in Afghanistan and before the Avengers fought the extra-terrestrials from another dimension. This was the Tony Stark who found himself in bed with a beautiful botanist, Maya Hansen (Rebecca Hall) while also snubbing a crippled organizer Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) who wanted them to join his research company Advanced Idea Mechanics.

Then we are back in the present, where Tony is living with Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) in their Malibu home on the cliff.

Iron Man & Pepper Pots
    [​IMG]

Tony may have PTSD from the event in NY with the Avengers and is now suffering insomnia and anxiety attacks. While he is up all night he is still improving his suit where he can get into it better than the briefcase in movie #2. Also, (perhaps inspired by Ivan Vanko in that movie) he is making remote controlled drone Iron Man suits.

Tony with Remote Iron Man
    [​IMG]

There is a terrorist called The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) who is murdering innocents and bombing targets to the point that Tony Stark challenges him on the news. Which starts the first action scene as Tony's beautiful house is attacked by helicopters with missiles and totally destroyed, nearly killing him and Pepper.

Mandarin
    [​IMG]

While Tony is believed dead he manages to escape with one prototype suit to Tennessee where he gets help from Harley, a precocious 10-year-old boy much like himself and manages to get back into the fight with a rebooted Jarvis and a repaired suit.

From there we see all the things expected in an action flick, with Iron Man and his Air Force buddy, Col. Rhodes (Don Cheadle) now wearing a red, white & blue "Iron Patriot" suit team up to take down the terrorists. Pepper also gets more of a physical role in this battle.

Iron Man & Jarvis-Operated Drones
    [​IMG]

I found this movie as delightful and fun as the other two, but I am in love with the ever so charming, buff and handsome Robert Downey Jr., so I have a definite bias. However, I'm not selling this movie, just letting the ppl who are like me know that I liked it. They will go see it (if they haven't already) no matter what any reviewer writes about it. In fact I will likely be seeing it again in theater at least one more time, maybe more before getting the DVD.

This movie is free-standing, with no setup for a sequel. I even sat thru about 10 minutes of end credits to see what the little teaser scene would reveal and it does not indicate anything of a sequel, just Tony Stark and Dr. Bruce Banner talking, which could allude to another Avengers movie. But, there was a final line that said "Tony Stark will return." Can hardly wait.

2. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Im getting sick of iron man

3. Shale

Shale ~

What!? Someone held a gun to your head and forced you go watch it? :eek:

4. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

That's right, of course. But I have to say that I can't really find any of those super-hero-movies enjoyable.

Maybe that's because I was a huge fan of the original Marvel Comics.

5. crystal456

crystal456 Member

the lead actor and actress for Iron Man are old and unattractive. I feel that Gwyneth is really a bad choice because she looked worn out and cannot act well. I watch video and i fast forward all the talking part and only watch the action part. For a 2hour show, i finished watching it in 1 hour.

6. Shale

Shale ~

"old and unattractive?" :confused:

Well maybe if you were old enuf to be their parent your perspective would be different. I find both Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow both very attractive. Downey even looks better in this current movie than in the previous one. BTW, he just turned 48.

[​IMG]

You refer to a watching a video so it was either the first two movies. If you were watching the current movie on video you have a bootleg, which will not be of good quality.

7. Shale

Shale ~

I just found out why I can't recall ever reading any of the comics of these Marvel movie characters that I enjoy. This is only the 50th anniversary for Iron Man, Avengers & Spiderman comics. They came out in 1963, when I was leaving high school and going into the Air Force, where my reading graduated to Playboy Magazine.

Which is why the only comics I recall as a kid were Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, who have been around for 75 years.

8. bukkakeguy

bukkakeguy Member

For what it's worth I think Iron Man 3 is the best film in the trilogy.
    Don't think there are many film trilogies where the 3rd film is my favourite so think I've already got a soft spot for this movie :)

It seemed to tie up everything quite nicely at the end and personally I hope they can resist an easy Iron Man 4 cash cow bonanza.

9. crystal456

crystal456 Member

Most of my peers, who are between 30s and 40s, find the main actor and actress are old and ugly and claimed that this Iron man is a cheap production. Except Scarlett Johansson is very beautiful and sensual.

10. Sassygurl

Sassygurl Member

I agree. RDJ is completely hot as is Gwyneth....how any one can say they are old and unattractive is beyond me. Gwyneth looks amazing and I loved her in this movie especially....she is a fantastic Pepper Potts. I LOVED this movie....but I also love all the superhero movies....so excited to see the next Thor movie!!

11. Gray passenger

Gray passenger Member

Both attractive :D

Wasn't this the last Iron man? Pretty good, liked how it connected to Avengers. Waiting for new Thor. :3