Ireland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by didge, May 13, 2004.

1. supermommy

supermommy wannabe crackho

ahh i wanna go to galway...

Floyd Soul- i kinda figured that was the case with the fishing ...thanks!

2. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Here Floyd Soul, did you see that Dick Roche finally implemented the Nitrates Directive. It's about time aswell. This might curtail the problems with lakes getting polluted beyond belief from fertiliser run-off.

The Farmers are going nuts though, fucking moaning bastards. You'd swear they were all skint. I once saw a programme on one South American country where a mans excuse for clearing some rainforest for farming was that if he didn't his family would have nothing to eat, no money and possible starve to death. I couldn't argue with him, but when I hear an Irish farmer giving out that he'll be down money due to the Nitrates Directive I just want to forget non-violence and smack him in the face. The IFA have pulled out of the social partnership talks aswell.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0208/partnership.html

I e-mailed Dick Roche and congraulated him and told him I hoped the government will not give in to the IFA on this. He probably has loads of farmers e-mailing him whinging so it's good to e-mail a positive e-mail. It's easy to get lax when you think you've won. Here's his e-mail address is you wanna do the same dick.roche@oireachtas.ie

I bombarded the government with e-mails encouraging them to introduce the carbon tax but to no avail. I've been doing it on this for ages aswell and finally it been implemented.

3. jera

jera Member

i totaly love ireland..
    i'm probably gonna go there in september to do a year of school.. ^^

4. MaryJane69

MaryJane69 Member

I'm Irish. Never been, but will be travelling there this year or early next.

I'm really excited to ride some Connemara ponies. If I had the time (or the money) I would go on a riding aventure for a week.

So.. tell me all about Northern and Southern Ireland and your take on the 'civil war'.

5. Spacer

There's no war any more, just politicians fighting and talking shite. I don't think the Brits should be in the North at all. At the same time I don't agree with the methods used by the IRA in years gone by.

6. Ladylocks

Ladylocks Banned

Having been to ireland: i would not reccomend it.
    Looks and works like a 3rd world country with a gypsy mentality.

7. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Are you serious?!!? When was the last time you were there, the 50's?

8. Spacer

lol, maybe she went to Limerick!! ;)

9. Floyd Soul

Ha! Could the mention of gypsies be a reference to travellers perhaps?

10. Spacer

Don't know, the transport is bordering on 3rd world though! :D

11. Ladylocks

Ladylocks Banned

That is so true, they're quite ugly and lazy by nature. Their new "wealth" which they are wasting and stealing is thanks to welfare money from european union. My god, they're like little monkey children. The irish have always been a social burden here in america.

12. Floyd Soul

Ha! So true!

Lets not even try to defend those comments. GTM just called all black people an ugly race too. Beyonce Knowles being a perfect example :rolleyes:

13. Spacer

Sure aren't we all just a bunch of leprechauns......

[​IMG]

I think the fact that everyone is Ireland has red hair is what scares them. Anyway all Irish women were real good looking and blonde but the Vikings kidnapped them and brought them Sweden and left a load of ginger mingers in their places!

14. Floyd Soul

And we live underground in tunnels too. Thats where Tolkien got his idea for hobbiton. Sept they messed up our accent in the movie.

15. Floyd Soul

Ha they were all banned, nice one to the mod who did it!

I think Ireland is the best place ever. The only thing we need is a bit more sunshine to grow more fruit and veg.

16. supermommy

supermommy wannabe crackho

haha this thread went all funny..
    lmfao @ the ginger mingers left in their place...

17. Spacer

To be perfectly honest, Ireland is a country that's lost it's indentity. It's a prime example of a country that's been ruined by money. To many people now have loads of cash and have just turned into gambling/alcoholic/shopping crazy arseholes. Loads of bar stool repulicanism as I saw it called on the indymedia website and 'oh sure Ireland is great and everyone loves us' type of bollocks been talked all the time.

It's only realistically been about 15 years since we got rid of the last of the influence of the Catholic Church(TM) in Ireland and already we're into another situation that I don't like. I can't honestly say I'm proud to be Irish, not with the way the country is going. Irish people give out about the Brits alot and the ironic thing is that we're not that different from them. We're a nation of xenophobic, uncultured, monolinguistic pissheads.

With more and more foreigners moving to Ireland from other EU states, the racism is obvious. I hate to think what the place will be like in 10-20 years. It'll probably be like England is now which isn't something I look forward to.
    I know I'm speaking in generalisations, but it is the way the country is going. Look at the average Joe Bloggs on the street and see if he fits the discription, most of them do.

It's a crying shame because we live in a beautiful country and Irish people do have admirable qualities, but they are slowly disappearing.

Still maybe we'll get another generation of great poets and writers out of it, after all WB Yeats and James Joyces best writing, consisted mainly of bitter diatribes against the Irish nation.

18. Floyd Soul

I agree with most of what youve said. Culturally its become pretty much the same as any country. When I say I love the place, I mean moreso I love the landscape and natural beauty of it.

19. Spacer

That I can't argue with although the amount of houses going up all over the place is crazy, still that's "progress" for you. Still lots of natural beauty left though especially all along the west coast.

20. Floyd Soul

Yeah the houses are destroying the place arent they. There used to be loads of wetlands and freshwater lakes around here that housed godonlyknows how many different animals and farmers just filled them in so they'd have better looking land for development.

I definitely want to check out the west some time soon. Last time I was there was years ago on the dingle peninsula but its a real great place. The Killarney Nat. Park is a must for me too.