Ireland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by didge, May 13, 2004.

1. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

I'm from Waterford....I quite like it. I quite like Ireland now. I like the countryside and culture but not every part of it is so special.

2. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Cool, agus cen aít a bfhuil tú i do gconaí?

3. Spacer

Waterford is a nice spot man, I'd like to live by the sea, I'm from Meath mesmelf.

4. Floyd Soul

I live just a mile up from the beach and there is woods around me too, so yeah I have to say it is very nice.

5. Princess_Rain

Princess_Rain Member

I'm from Kildare :) And, Floyd Soul, couldn't agree more....it is a magical country...you can especially feel it in Spring, everything just seems so alive. Hope you've all been enjoying the snow :)

6. Floyd Soul

And also the fact that we have a society of fairies hiding in our underbrush :)

7. alex714

alex714 To the Left

i went to the mall today and holy shit, st paddy stuff on every type of clothes!!
    thought i would share this

it was on pants, boxer shorts, socks, flip flops, tees, sweaters, TOWELS...name it, and it either had an irish flag on it or 'kiss me, i'm irish' or something about a pub....

haha, kinda funny....crazy how mass produced it is, everyone trying to cash in on any type of holiday

just thought id share this with you all....i always wanted to post in this thread :D

8. Floyd Soul

I don't think its that commercialized over here....people sell shamrocks and badges, but I can't see the people living in Ireland wanting to wear all the novelty Irish stuff....it probably appeals more to people who emigrated from here....

9. Spacer

No it's not commercial over here really, everyone just goes to the pub and gets pissed, even the parades aren't a big deal and are shit for the most part. There are shops over here that sell nothing but cheesy Irish souvenirs, but no Irish person would ever buy anything from them, they mainly just appeal to yanks who think that buying a green jumper will somehow make them blend in and appear like a local :eek:

10. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

haha... And what's the deal with the green dye they put in the beer in the US on St Paddy's day? I mean, the beer that Ireland is famous for is friggin black, not green! Over here, people just go to an Irish pub or simply have a few pints of Guinness instead of their regular brand if they feel like honouring the day.

peace,
    -Pat

11. alex714

alex714 To the Left

haha that made me laugh
    no better way than buying into cheesy souvenirs to show that youre a tourist

i already got my plans for march 17th....going to james joyce pub and having a pint with my sister :D
    and im not drinking that green beer shit...thats nasty

12. Spacer

Yeah the green beer thing is just a gimmick. I'll miss Paddys day this year, don't think they'll have heard of it in India! :D

13. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Here in Seattle, the only pubs that don't have green beer on St. Paddy's are the Irish pubs.

14. Spacer

Would most of the Irish pubs actually be owned by Irish people or is it just people cashing in on the Irish thing?

15. alex714

alex714 To the Left

well some pubs are trying to do the whole irish things
    but there are plenty that are actually irish, some have been here for ages. the older ones are the best, they have really friendly owners and everyone knows eachother because theyre always coming in.

16. Floyd Soul

Sounds just like the locals we have over here :D

17. alex714

alex714 To the Left

i'm sure they're a million times better than what we've got
    nothing like the real thing

18. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Most of the Irish pubs I frequent in Seattle are Irish owned and run. Carcinogenic, yet friendly atmospheres. Great people, great music, great food, and great whiskey! A couple of them did remind me a lot of my visits to Galway and Tralee. But then there are some "Irish" pubs that are obviously owned by people that have never been in a pub in Ireland. Tacky decor, including posters of U2 or Sinead O'Connor, the flag painted across an entire wall next to an american flag, and instead of Irish music, they might have a jukebox with a CD from the Chieftains or even worse... karaoke!

19. Floyd Soul

I hate them cheesy places....I came across one in Portugal too. They usually have leprechaun statues and everything is green....they are so far from a genuine Irish pub.

Why am I not surprised that a thread about Ireland is about pubs....

20. hippiecomeflores

hippiecomeflores Member

hey i might be movin to Cork in about 4 months! just for a period of time but maaaaan im so anxious, i dont know what to expect or anything!
    if anybody could gimme some info on that that'd be great