Ireland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by didge, May 13, 2004.

1. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Galway was a fun town when I was there. Lots of young people, but isn't it a college town? I have to say that I enjoyed my stay through the west coast very much. Wasn't too thrilled about Dublin. Probably due to our hotel being right in the middle of the Temple Bar area. That was my brother's fault. Limerick was also his fault. Hated that place. But Doolin, Clonmacnoise, Dingle Peninsula, the Ring of Kerry, Killarney, Connemara(sp?), it was all amazing. Anyway, I think the next time I visit Ireland, I want to take a few months to truly explore the land and the life. The only drawback is that I would probably have to find some form of temporary work to be able to get by that long. how easy is it to find a job out there for us out-of-towners?

2. groovydude

groovydude Member

It's pretty easy if you pick the right time and not too hard any other time the tricky bit will be finding a place to stay, Galway's a popular spot. If you look up the Galway advertiser online you can get all most all the information you'll need, the cost of living is fearce so go for cheap accomadation with like minded people. what do you do (or are willing to do)?

3. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

Hi!
    Next summer I'll go to Ireland for holidays. I can't decide where to stay, Cork or Dublin? I'm from the Netherlands, so it's not far away. Although a ticket will cost me 250 euros!

4. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

I can't wait to come to ireland, find out where my family came from and the like. My grandparents emigrated to NZ years ago, but my nana always spoke so fondly of the place, even as a wee kid I knew I wanted to go over...I really, really want to pack my bag and leave for there right now :)

5. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

DharmaBum I live in Trim, so not to far from you.

6. barefoot lass

barefoot lass Member

Is breá liom éireannach agus éire.
    (is it correct?)

Hi!
    Thought this might be the right place to make questions about gaelic..? I have never been to Ireland but of course I´d like to go. I like the music and the nature and the history but most of all I admire the irish language! Therefore I´d like to go to Ireland and stay a few years (or more) and learn the language. Everybody I know think I´m a bit of a weirdo wanting to know such a "small and useless language". I´m fluent in finnish, swedish, spanish, german and english. I´d really like to learn irish but I´m a lazy student and do rather learn languages by speaking and hearing them... I´ve got a book about irish grammar but I think it´s hard to learn the pronounciation from a book. So, do you think it´s possible to learn irish like that, going there? How long do you think it would take? Are there any inexpensive beginners classes available in Ireland?

*Grateful for answers*

7. JimiWhizZ

JimiWhizZ Member

Hey barefoot lass!!
    Wow, thats alot of languages, doesnt seem to me like you're a "lazy student"!
    But you are right, the best way to learn any language is to speak it.. My advice to you would be to go and find work in the Gaeltacht areas, because they are the only places on our fond island where the majority still speak irish as a first language. Check out :http://www.gaelsaoire.ie/asp/gaeltachtai.asp?page=2&language=english for the official gaeltacht website... As you can see these areas are not very vast and its a bit sad that OUR language, which is part of what makes us and our history unique is slowly dying out. Any way...

As far as classes are concerned, just get a brief introductory class for beginners or even just a book and you'll be fine because the people in these areas also speak fluent english and are nice.

I wish you good look on your adventure, and hope only good things come of it, I'm sure you'll love our country ;)

Oh, and give my a shout if you ever come to Dublin!!
    PEACE

8. Spacer

It is a shame alright that Irish is only spoken in gaeltacht regions. I can speak Irish and would more often only I never really have a chance to.

9. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

Is there some embargo on Ireland right now? My mom went to the post office to mail something to Ireland, and the clerk said there has been an embargo for the last week.

Peace :)

10. JimiWhizZ

JimiWhizZ Member

A postal embargo? Thats the first i've heard of it... anywhere infact. Soundz a bit fishy to me man, the clerk was talkin through his ass:p

11. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Wonder if the guy thought he heard Iran instead of Ireland. IF spoken fast enough to or from a person who doesn't speak good english, there might have been some confusion. Just a theory.

12. l30l3

l30l3 Member

I live in Northern Ireland *yawn*,,,, but i`d move to Galway tomorrow,i lived there for about two months it`s like the irish Jamaica,,so laid back.The south is so different than the north.
    [​IMG]

13. Spacer

Where abouts are ya from in the North?

14. JimiWhizZ

JimiWhizZ Member

LOL HA!!:)

15. Happy_Mondays

Happy_Mondays Member

I've travelled all over the place and I have to say Ireland is the coolest destination by far. I'll be going back there for my 7th time next month and I can't wait! Anyway, here's my take on it: Dublin's okay for a short while. I've found that I can't stay there for more than a few days or I get sick (the air quality isn't the best), but it's certainly fun for 2 or 3 days. After that it's best to go out and see the rest of the country, in my opinion. Of course, the west is beautiful and has a very laid back pace. I like spending time in Tralee, Cork, and the entire ring of Kerry (apart from Killarney which is very touristy and chock full of Americans). Forget Belfast all together -- the 2 times I've been weren't fun at all and the place had a tense atmosphere. It may have changed since then, but the city really does have a different local culture. But anywhere you go in the republic you're bound to find somebody who wants to talk to you and it's hard not to find a good time. I think the less plans you make before going, the more you'll get out the experience. For my upcoming trip I only know where I'm staying for the first 2 days so I can get over the jetlag. After that I'll just see what happens until I have to leave. Hope this helps somebody out.

16. Spacer

How many Irish hipfourms members are there anyway?

All I know of is myself, Floyd Soul, Didge, Boringtree and Zephyr. I know there's more, but I can't think of their names wonder where they are hiding! I know some posted in this thread before aswell, ach ca bhfuil siad anois?

17. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

I'm an Irish American hipforums member who wishes he was living in Ireland. Is that close enough?

18. Spacer

We'll make you an honorary member :D How mnay generations since your family lived in Ireland and idea where?

19. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

My great grandfather came from Tralee and my great grandmother from Limerick. Been to both places. Didn't care for Limerick (no offense to those who are from there). I'ts still a mystery whether or not my grandfather was born over there or in New York as we have very little info on him.

20. Princess_Rain

Princess_Rain Member

Táim anseo chomh maith spacer :)