Introvert or Extrovert?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm an introvert with an exhibitionist streak.With friends I can be very outgoing,otherwise I can be very quiet.

2. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I'm mostly very much an extrovert. I'm outgoing, talkative, and I love being around people. I do get into hermit mode on a regular basis though.

3. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I'm too much of an introvert to event respond to this post.

4. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I think introversion/extroversion and social dysfunction or discomfort are separate issues.
    I used to be introverted and shy, now introverted but not intimidated in any social situation.

Introversion socialized is intimacy.

I know some extroverts that become terrified at the prospect of being alone with their own thoughts which is the other behavioral extreme.

Whereas some extroverts find some introverts eccentric, some introverts find some extroverts shallow.

As far as useful levels of identification or class distinction I think that our common humanity is the most instructive and ideas of relative self worth are the least.
    Both of these perspectives are adopted for practical reasons. The first is we exist in this world for and with each other and of the second, we are in a constant state of becoming and therefor our proportions are forever indefinite.

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I'm mostly an introvert, but I do have an extrovert inside, lol. I tend to hole up around people I don't know, but I really hate awkward silence, so I will break the ice if necessary. But I HATE the phone. I'll text all day everyday, but jeezus, don't call me, please. lol

6. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I am a definite introvert and I don't at all think that it is a bad thing. I am happy with who I am.

I do love to socialize sometimes and I party with friends and all of that, but it leaves me feeling tired and drained and I have to go spend some time by myself to recharge.

To me, extroverts seem to get their energy from others, but with introverts being around other people drains their energy.

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’m an introvert when it fits my needs and surroundings, and an extrovert when it’s to my advantage [​IMG]

hotwater

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Both. Spend 80 % of my time alone by choice, but I can talk to anyone when I feel like it. Just don't feel like it in real life much. But when I do, I always go for a laugh. I'm an excellent listener and sympathizer if such is needed.

To add: I love extroverted women.

I was told as a child at gatherings-"children are to be seen and not heard" Struggled with that for a time.

I sure as hell don't tell my grand kids that, nor did I tell my kids that.

9. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I definitely am an introvert. I wish I were an extrovert but people just make me uncomfortable. I mean, when I know someone, I'm very loud and happy, even in public. But if I'm alone or don't know anyone, it's very hard for me to not feel awkward.

I dislike talking on the phone even to friends because I fear that awkward silence. I do like being out doing things sometimes but it usually doesn't take long before I'm exhausted from being around people and want to go home and just be comfortable, not feeling like everyone is watching me or whatever.

10. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I love this sentence I set in bold. I totally agree. This is how I feel in social situations and why I avoid social situations sometimes. The need for or lack of intimacy drives my social reactions. Sometimes you can be in a crowd of people and with the right kind of crowd it can be totally intimate...sometimes with just 1 person it can be shallow. This is a great way to define introversion.

I think extroverts have no problem with shallowness because maybe all they need is to have that connection at all and they're satisfied with being able to be in the company of and connect with people at all. It's not that I think all extroverts are illiterate. But I know some extroverts who are illiterate or near illiterate and it's like they don't connect to language and words as much, it's more about just having a social connection...period. They love to just hear their own voice and other people's voices harmonizing with them. In an attempt to be compassionate, I'm going to guess that they get inspired by inflection in voices and other forms of non-literal expression. Maybe there is a certain type of subtle perception that extroverts get that they hardly seem to understand themselves.

It's not better or worse than the type of subtle perception introverts have, it's just their way of connecting to people.

11. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

This is a big one. Children can test your ability to be strictly either/or and I think of my kids as like karmic miracles. My daughter...my youngest is an extrovert...needs socialization much more than I do...but I used to be like her too and it has helped me to stop fearing people and uncomfortable situations which I did for awhile in my early hipforums days (19-22).

I never felt like kids should only be seen not heard, because one of my earliest memories was pushing away my need to be social because my mom was disappointed with me because I would talk to all her friends and interject in "adult conversations"...even though I still think I was an introvert at that time, it wasn't something that anyone noticed because I was very social, too talkative, is what adults have told me...but I was so focused on my passions when I was into something new or creative.

I love kids so much, perhaps because I remember so fondly my own childhood. I wonder how we would all be if society was more child-friendly. Would introversion not be thought of as some social dysfunction and not go hand-in-hand for a lot of introverts at some point in their lives?

12. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I am a bit of both, depending on the situation and the people.
    Boring, isn't it?

13. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

there's a jungian personality test you can google that you can take and it'll tell you if you're an introvert or extrovert among other things. last time i took it remember being an

ENTP

extravert, intuitive, thinking, perceiving

here's a link to one of these tests that seems pretty legit: http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Introvert, but not shy and quite loud and extroverted at times. It just depends.

But more often than not, I am lost in my own mind. It's like a constant flow of thoughts and ideas.

I have no shame in being an introvert.. in other words if I am thinking, I do it wherever and whenever the hell I want. My friends know this about me too. If I'm at a party and standing there looking into space or pacing around outside, they know what's up and not to worry haha.

15. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

"silence is a source of great strength"
    -lao tzu

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I do not consider myself either one. I do hate phone conversations though. Small talk in real life is not so bad, it just depends on the person and wether I am busy or not.

17. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Introvert with tons of need for adventure, activity, physical outlet, good conversation, and have a lot of interests. Mainly I don't fit in to any one thing, so I do a little bit of a lot of things. I'm a thinker.....forums are a way for me to be completely free from the real life risks of rejection. I also use them therapeutically when I need to get something out in the open, and release it.

18. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

more extrovert than a lot of people. more introvert than a lot of people. I am basically God. (serious results here).

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Such a typical human :2thumbsup: