Introvert or Extrovert?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Sep 17, 2013.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Would you consider yourself an introvert or an an extrovert? I am certainly a introvert through and through.

Does anyone else think that America vilifies introversion? I certainly feel as though extroversion is celebrated here.

I was inspired to post this by this link that I encountered today:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/20/introverts-signs-am-i-introverted_n_3721431.html

I tend to think that internet forums attract introverts, but that is anecdotal and has no scientific basis (that I know of).

What do ya'll think? How do you identify? Do you see your introversion/extroversion as a weakness, a strength, or simply a part of your identity that you have come to accept?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Introvert...

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Definitely an introvert -- always have been. However, there are rare occasions when I can be pretty extroverted. I am usually left drained afterwards, though.

I see my introversion as having weaknesses and strengths. Introverted people are usually more introspective, but they often have a harder time in life since there is so much social interaction expected out of people.

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Did anyone read the article? The "phone" thing rang so true with me...no pun intended.

I absolutely despise answering the telephone. Especially just "to chat". It feels so disingenuous. Forced small talk is absolutely painful for me.

And I agree with you, PR, about introversion lead to increased introspection...but is that a positive thing? My introspection usually leads to less than desirable results.

5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I think most people fall somewhere in the middle of this.

I would consider myself to be an extrovert. There are times and situations though that might make that a little less apparent. Just as there are degrees to being introverts.

I am not sure that as a culture we really celebrate either one. Extremes are what tend to make people uncomfortable. Someone whose is overbearing and in your face can be as wearing as the other side of the spectrum.

Looking at the list in the article makes it rather apparent to me that we all fall in there at some point and some situations. That is the problem with trying to label people, we usually don't fit that well in narrow definitions.

6. saltwater

saltwater Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

definatly an extrovert with the odd day where i'm not...

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't know about this, Heather. I agree that most people probably display different tendencies at different times. I myself agree with 100% of the items on that list. I identify and behave completely like an introvert.

I think we, as a society, reward socialization. Outgoing people get more jobs, more attention, more interest from the population at large. They have more friends. I think they obtain more reinforcers from society. In fact, they probably have everything that most people would consider the makings of happiness.

Is all of this universally true, outside of our culture? I'm not sure. I tend to think it exists only in the microcosm of our society as it is, right now. Asian cultures, on the other hand, emphasize introversion.

I also think this tendency is especially hard on females. It is rather acceptable for a man to be a "long ranger" type. When a girl displays these behavior patterns, it results in furrowed brows and strange thoughts from others.

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I fucking hate talking on the phone, even with people I know. I hate hate hate it. I hate talking on cell phones even more. That delay makes me feel uncomfortable, and I hate when the person on the other end is breaking up and you have to ask them to repeat themselves.

Introspection can be a good thing, because you are more in tune with yourself as an individual. However, I know with myself, I tend to overanalyze things, especially when I smoke, which can lead to paranoia and overall negative thoughts.

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I almost always ignore the phone and send a text explaining why I can't talk at the moment. I feel as though a lot of people don't sympathize with true introversion..they just don't "get it." They truly think there is some big issue with your personality or that you are just being rude or aloof. Eventually...they stop calling.

And introspection can be a good thing, it can certainly help you become more aware of what is really going on in the world. That, however, is especially bittersweet. It sometimes leads to elation and other times to disgust and further retreating into the self.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Everything on that list fits me except for the part about introverts not gathering energy from their surroundings. I do gather energy from the people around me, but I don't really jump in the middle of things. I usually just sit back and take it all in.

I really hate the phone too. Usually when my friends call me I'll text them back or spend 3 days gathering the energy to call them back. I've explained my phobia of talking on the phone so most people expect it. I don't really know why anyone ever bothers to call me.

I like being an introvert. It can be difficult at times, and it was especially difficult growing up, but it also makes me unique. I think only like 25% of the population are introverts. I don't think it has caused any extreme social problems. I'm not the type of person to make 3 new best friends in a day when I'm thrown into a new social setting, but people generally like me precisely because I come across as laid-back and not very in your face. People perceive me as a good listener. Being an introvert can actually have its social advantages sometimes.

11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Do you feel as though you are more prone to depression that your extroverted peers?

12. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I think rather than reward socialization the outcome of being social is what you state. They through interactions do the work to get that. They are likely to have more friends, better opportunities for advancement and employment and many other things simply because they are then a known factor. They are a known as they socialize or appear to. It comes down to exposure and probabilities. It is not a reward rather it is a result of networking which can be as challenging for an extrovert as well as an introvert. There is also negative aspects to be extroverts as when "crap" hits the fan it is more often going to land on them as they are known.

I do feel that introverts are more likely to be viewed as "eccentric" in some situations. That can be an advantage and a disadvantage. There are some very successful introverts as well. I have hired many.

I think men who are introverts probably have a more difficult time in general as we are still a society that expect men to be assertive. As much as we would like to think that we do not, men are still expected to forge on in life and be just able to handle all situations. We would label a woman as shy and a man as insecure.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Personally, I don't think that it makes me more prone to depression. I am pretty happy go lucky and my life is well balanced - I enjoy being alone but I don't do it to the point where I get lonely. I enjoy being social but I don't do it to the point where I'm dying to be left alone.

14. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

There are 90% of introverts on hipforums...

When I'm to long with people I really need some time alone afterwards to recharge my batteries.

15. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

One of the favorite things I read about this topic came from some study. Here are the things I took most from it:

The difference between extroversion and introversion: extroverts use social interactions to gain energy and introverts use down time to gain energy. In otherwords downtime drains extroverts and downtime energizes introverts.

Other than that...we all have various versions of introversion and extroversion.

I'm personally an introvert. I love to perform, I don't consider myself shy at all, though people ask me if I am sometimes. Often people have told me I have quiet strength. I think this is very true. I'm very comfortable with myself and being around people has little effect on me at all unless they are asking me to interact in the way they want.

I don't like being around people and having superfluous interactions. I can sit in front of a TV or complain about the weather on my own. Don't need people for that. I want to be in the company of people when I have something awesome to say or there is something awesome being said. People say I'm a great listener and give great advice. That's been the case since I was a young child. I was also told I was an old soul since I was in the one-digits.

I like to perform not because I like to be the center of the attention really, it's just that it's easier to express yourself when you know people are actually paying attention. The only time I really have problems talking to people is when I feel like they are really not interested or they are not really paying attention. That's the kind of thing you can tell one-on-one.

When it comes to friends I reject people a lot. It's just that I give a lot to my friends and don't really have the time to pay attention to a lot of people. I do really well one-on-one or in a group of people that I know are really into me and that I know I can really relate to the things they're into as well. I actually really like festivals and things of that nature...as long as I have a great friend or group I'm in...I'm performing or...I'm completely anonymous and allowed to just sit and enjoy. I do actually get high on my surroundings but I like to enjoy that high on my own terms.

Also, I can't possibly stick to one thing...I love trying new things and throwing myself into new situations. So that's not very introvert-like of me...I suppose.

Not sure how much I agree with this list really, I think a lot of it is just coincidence that some people who are predominantly introverted happen to experience.

16. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i defintely lean more towards introversion.

i don't mind being on the phone, but i do screen my calls. there's no need for me to build up energy to call back. i just make the call back as soon as i know who it is...most of the time this only happens at work as the only people who call my cell are people already in my phonebook.

i love my downtime though. being out with groups of people for periods of time is soul draining. i do go through phases of where i'm more social and then i sort of dissapper for a few months.

i do like meeting new people and seek opportunities to do so - it's what i'm going to be doing down in NYC next week.

i accept that i'm introverted. I match my strentghs to what i need done and go out there and get what i want...or at least try to.

17. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

18. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

I have an innie tummy button. That must mean I'm introverted. :)

19. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

innie
    outie
    innie
    outie

it changes but I'm more extrovert

20. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

it depends what mood i'm in really and what type of people i'm dealing with...or how tired i am.