Intriguing Opportunity

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by PresidentialScandal, May 16, 2007.

1. PresidentialScandal

PresidentialScandal Member

I discovered back in late September last year that I'm gay. Since then, I've told around ten people, mostly close friends. I've also told my parents.

I am a senior in high-school, and I graduate on June 16th. I was just in my AP English class and we were assigned our final project, which is essentially a personal narrative story about something meaningful and that people might not know.

Naturally, I feel inclined to come out in a creative way through the assignment. I've been feeling tempted to come out for a month or so now, and what better opportunity than this? Read the grading criteria:

"Does the speech speak to the human experience? After hearing the speech, have we gained more understanding, more awareness? Was the content surprising at times? Was the story a journey of human understanding and awareness? Was there magic in what was said?"

Declaring that I'm gay is essentially the perfect way to not only fulfill the assignment's requirements, but also to remove something from my chest. It's pretty classy, too.

I have spoken with another guy who came out last year, and he said that he has not experienced any kind of discrimination here. It's a pretty damn liberal community, after all. The difference with me is that I am the ASB (student body) President. The news would spread like wildfire, and because of my position, it might entail more hostility.

I don't have to present until May 29th. What are your opinions on this? Should I do it?

2. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

sure why not?
    but in another sense, peopel could see it as you wanting attention
    but I think you could probably pull it off, just gotta make it a good story :)
    good luck!

3. PresidentialScandal

I have decided to do it, and I wrote my paper this afternoon. It's two pages long and should take me about four minutes to read. This is going to be fun.

4. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

cool tell us how it goes.

5. Pax

Pax Member

Sorry this is late, I've been away! It sounds like a cool idea and I hope it went well for you!

6. PresidentialScandal

It went wonderfully. I gave my narrative without error, clearly, and with rare pausing, although after I ended with the words, "I'm gay," I was pretty exhausted. There were five seconds or so of what would be classified as stunned silence, and then raucous clapping, and my teacher said, "Way to go!" A couple people raised their hands to congratulate me and such, and also a couple questions, about whether my parents knew and for how long I had known. Afterward, I was hugged and at various points since coming out people have said how proud of me they are. I have received absolutely no negative comments. It's amazing really. I am so happy to live in a community like this, which is actually as accepting as it appears to be to others.

Now the path is cleared for college, and I feel terrific.

7. Albatron

Albatron Member

Frickin awesome man!! Just reading that makes me feel better about coming out to more people.

8. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

I think you should definitely do it. Surely you are confident enough being the ASB President and it really would be quite an interesting way to come out. I was actually really surprised and rather impressed that you've already come out to your parents after only knowing for such a short time. Most people wait ages before doing so, or just never get round to it.

Go for it! Good luck =]

9. honeyfugle

honeyfugle pumpkin

that's terrific, honey!! :)

i'm so happy for you! this must have taken s much confidence to do. :H
    i'm so proud of you!

CONGRATU-WELL DONE (now, where did i hear this word?)!

10. Joey*

Joey* Freaky Supportr Dude

Great to hear,glad it worked out so well for you! Awesome !,..It helps me,in my confusion about comin' out...should I?..when?..how?...It's awesome to hear about such a positive expirience.

11. sun_heart_girl

sun_heart_girl Member

That's a really nice story, too bad I wasn't here at the beginning :) Hopefully it will give confidence to some of the other people on here.