Interested in community in southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by Sam_k, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Sam_k

Sam_k Members

My ideal community would be one that grows our own food and is mostly off-grid in a natural setting, but with reasonably comfortable homes; where several families could work and play together, with a community business and a school or homeschool co-op, with a free, kind of hippy culture but not drugs or much smoking; maybe partial income sharing, Christian but not conservative or spiritual but not religious. I, my wife and our 3 young kids live on 17 acres in Orange County Indiana, anyone else interested in finding or creating a community of this sort?

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Welcome to the Dome School
    [​IMG]

The Dome School is a private, non-profit, parent cooperative organization dedicated to providing a healthy environment for child development and education.

We encourage the development of each child as a healthy individual and we foster discovery, creativity, communication and self-esteem. We provide an environment that encourages children to progress and develop at a rate based on their own abilities.

The school combines a multi-age classroom with parent and community involvement and it operates on a cooperative, non-discriminatory, non-hierarchical basis. Our goal is to facilitate the education and development of each child intellectually, socially, emotionally, and physically.

The school is housed in the Takilma Community Building : Takilma , Oregon .

Sam_k likes this.
  3. Mary Billups

Mary Billups Members

There is/was an ecovillage called Living Roots Farm in Orange County, IN.
    I had considered visiting a few years ago, but, my way of living took a couple of curve balls, & I've been searching for a more Northern area for community.
    I don't want to live anywhere near one of the nation's most strongest earthquake faults.
    New Madrid Fault.

4. Sam_k

Sam_k Members

I helped build some cabins when living roots was getting started, but it’s more of a farm with some interns than a community for families.

5. Mary Billups

Mary Billups Members

Several years ago, it had been listed in the FIC (Fellowship for Intentional Communities) as an ecovillage. That's why I thought they were still an ecovillage.

6. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

There was a time it was an ecovillage. Not no more all that fell apart. Now it's a sort of farm school where folks come to learn and do work that actually matters. Still attracts plenty of the more hippy/alternative type but unless they got themselves a good work ethic they don't last long

7. Mary Billups

Mary Billups Members

Ah, I see....ok.