Instrument Names...

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

I don't know about any of you other musicians out there... But i have very 'geekily' named all of my instuments and am just curious to see what you have named yours...

I'll give you mine first:
    ~My Acoustic Guitar - "Mary Lou"
    ~My Electic Guitar - "Suzy Q"
    ~My Harmonica - "Pipe"
    ~My Violin - "Lady"
    ~My Piano - I never named it actually, but for the sake of this post I'll pretend it's name is... umm... "Keyboard". Yeah, that'll do... ;) .

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

My electric is Tony Montana, the amp is His Little Friend.
    I had an acoustic named Judy, after Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, but I killed her.. :(
    Um my bongos are nameless...

3. TattoedAquarian

~soulrebel - I guess noone else names their intruments, or is willing to admit it... Thanks though.

4. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

i should name my guitars...but im just terrible at naming stuff.

i will get back to ya another day if i can think up good names :D

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

There is a thread about this in either Performance Arts of Music. Do try to post threads in the right forum.

6. lostblackdog

lostblackdog Member

heh heh.... I named my instrument.... his name is Pedro... Vote for Pedro... He might be a dick, but the ladies love him! :)

Other than that I've got an organ named Ms. Mae Lee
    Dobro- Victoria
    Acoustic guitar- Hannah Rose
    Harmoicas- They're all named George followed by the letter of the key each one is in
    Bagpipes- The three crones and their whiney sister
    and then I have a banjo named Esperanza
    I've got more instruments, but I haven't gotten around to naming that many of them... I should tho

7. jay

jay Member

my acoustic is named wedgey
    and i dont think ive found another person whos done the same

8. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

My guitar is named Ocean Dali. A friend of mine named it.

9. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

Acoustic-Imbi
    Acoustic-Martin
    Acoustic-Koa
    Acoustic-Baby
    Acoustic- Little Tack
    Acoustic 12 string-Eppy
    Electric 12 string-Rick
    Mandolin-Mandy
    Electric 6 string-Telly
    Lap steel-unnamed
    Fiddle-unnamed
    Electric 6 string-unnamed (just bought her)

10. LaughinEyes024

LaughinEyes024 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My acoustic is Scarlet Rose
    My electric is Dark Star
    My banjo is Euphoria

11. NeoPascal

NeoPascal Member

Yea i named mine too.. well some of them
    My Bass is named Sammie
    and my acoustic is named woodie
    the rest of them dont have names cuz i dont play them enough

12. dayafterpuberty

dayafterpuberty Member

Electric Guitar- Johiv#9
    Bass guitar- I dont remember what i named my bass

13. gnombient

gnombient Member

I've never been one to give creative names to instruments-- it just doesn't really seem necessary to me. My Roland JP-8080 is occasionally called "Drone Box" in reference to its primary function in my setup; that's the closest I've gotten to naming anything. Everything else is just referred to by brand or model, i.e. "the Frostwave" or "the Voyager". I thought that perhaps I would name my modular synth as it becomes more of a synth and less of a collection of patchable effects, but it hasn't quite reached that stage yet...

14. TattoedAquarian

~BraveSir - My apologies, i do admit that i've been very lazy about looking for an appropriate thread when making posts, so i'll be more cautious in the future...

~lostblackdog - I suppose i can agree with you referring to your member as an instrument... I liked the diversity in the instruments you play (bagpipes - groovy) and your quote made me laugh and then get a little scared... (jk - about the scared part)

~jay - Yeah. That's pretty 'unique' man. - (I feel sorry for your future children already... (jk)

~Kozmisblue - I hope your tongue's okay... Don't go all Hannibal Lector on it...

~kindwoman - Wow! Very nice collection... You should send me some of your favorite tab if you get a moment to do so...

~gnombient - Yeah, i've always waited for the names to just come to me myself - you really can't force that sort of thing - even if it is a little silly.

15. rhasta.penguin

alright, i have come up with my names!

Acoustic: Meg
    Electric: Eleanor

i have 2 other electrics, but one is broken, and the other one is more of an antic then a guitar i would regularly play...plus i never thought of names for them.

16. orgasmicbike

orgasmicbike Member

my acoustic - shadow
    my electric - moonlight
    my piano - illusion

17. TattoedAquarian

~rhasta.penguin - Glad to hear from you again... You know, i've been asked before by one of my feminist friends why i chose female names for my guitars, which where the first ones that i named, and i couldn't really come up with an answer for her. And she said that she thought it was because after years of listening to many male musicians you have named their instruments female names, (and said their motivation for doing so was because deep down they thought of women as posessions - which i don't agree with but that's a whole 'nother story) that i've been 'programmed' to think the same way. I didn't really agree (especially because i myself am quite an independent lady - Just ask my boyfriend) but i could see how she might think that. Then i looked, and asked, around; and it does seem that pretty much all men and most women do name their intrument(s) female names and couldn't help but wondering why most people do so... Any ideas?
    ~orgasmicbike - (i really like your name by the way) Very mystical...

18. rhasta.penguin

well for my acoustic guitar, i named it meg after a friend, and i named the other eleanor, just because i think it is a lovley name. I never really concidered it as thinking that guitars are like women and we name them that because we think we own a girl...some guys may, but thats not why i named mine women only.

19. TattoedAquarian

~rhastapenguin - Thanks - (now i can shut my friend Kate up a bit... - kidding) Thankyou also for replying to many of my threads - i think you have some really great things to say and look forward to your posts...

20. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

Acoustic-Ruby (after Ruby Tuesday, and because she's red :) )
    Electric-Von (after Stevie Ray Vaughn)
    Amp-Abbie (Abbie Hoffman...)
    Harmonica-Miss AC Blues Harp...(it just said AC blues harp on it when I bought it, and AC is my initionals so I figured she was just my Jr...)
    Tamborine- Freedom

the bongos, flute, and rain stick don't have names I suppose...one day, when I feel something fits them I guess...