inquiry : books you just cant get through !

Discussion in 'Books' started by jagerhans, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Moby Dick--90 pages of nothing but describing a fucking whale. And that doesn't include the 800 pages of bullshit.

Catch-22 was another difficult one to get through, but I did eventually finish it. Some parts were funny, but I hate reading/learning/studying anything having to do with the military, even if its humorus. And it's really hard when there's no plot.

War and Peace is an ongoing struggle, though I haven't given up yet!

I'm currently trying to make it through the Sound and the Fury, and it's proving a challenge. I liked As I Lay Dying, but Faulkner's losing me with this one.

Oh and whoever said they didn't like Cry Beloved Country: THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A SOUL!!! Once you grow up and learn about the atrocities of apartheid and understand the social context of the novel, it will make alot more sense to you. Grrr!!

2. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

The Mayor of Casterbridge - Thomas Hardy.

...I hate it. I can't even read the first few chapters; it's so dragging.

3. PoemBased

PoemBased Member

I def agree, so so soooo slow.

I'm torn between Robinson Crusoe, to much good prasing for every little thing, and Moby

4. hamish...

hamish... Member

a book i cud never get through was catch-22....its not boring its just soooo brain stormingly too much for mylittle brain. hard to focus on it hehe. rly gd book but i didnt make it past 100 pages..

5. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

The Drifters by James Mitchener.....

I liked the way it started out, but the book turnes out to be just dreadful.....I mean, how many kids form sround the world in strange circumstances know the same guy as like a second father figure????Im sorry, but this gets my vote for worst book.

oh, and any book Oprah suggests.......I have not liked one of them (that I have tried to read)

6. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

thats because faulkner is SO LONG WINDED.......
    ............I can write a run-on sentence for half a page, too.

7. Daisie

Daisie Member

I've been ragged on because of this quite a few times, and yes, I am a horrible person because I can't finish.. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance!

I've tried a few times, but I just can't do it.

I have no idea why.

8. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

not supposed to read Moby Dick til you're 30, I've been told. I'm not that old so...
    Ulysses gives me bipolar, much of it is mind-bogglingly beautiful but sometimes it makes me want to burn it and throw it through the window and break things and hurt myself... i'm afraid of Finnegans Wake. Naipaul's an Area of Darkness gets tricky if you don't know anything about 50s-60s-era Indian politics, which I don't so... mmm, Naked Lunch is delicious, fadeout to Mambo music...

9. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

never mind. I this thread is meant to be a truly shameless one. :D BTW i'd like to beg everybody NOT to flame each other on a basis of personal tastes - it's definitely pointless.

"what's the last book you've been reading ? mine is Kant's Critic of pure reason, a very good book, left alone for the philosophical parts" - Groucho
    heh heh heee

10. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

depressive book but definitely not a boring one then ! they're the most curious, to me. many books can be just plain boring but those you hate or make you SICK can be revealing of yourself.
    well, at this point i'd say that l.tolstoj and dostojevsky are leading the course.

taking advantage of a depressive travel to Lisbon I've finished Elio Vittorini's Men and Not Men , which I found repulsive in its first pages (so it had been put apart) to be totally conquered by it after the first few chapters. the only good company for a week.

11. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

I wouldn't say this book is depressive nor boring. However, I have never managed to plough through "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien, without reading something else in between.