Information -DREAD- Thread:

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by Electricbuddha, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

So i have created this place..... For any body that need's any kind of help or information on Dreadlocks, (You can ask questions of any kind...don’t be shy)

I see Many new and older threads created based around dreadlocks, asking one little question, so i thought maybe this could narrow it down to a place for people to be free and ask away all in one little thread!

I my self with answer any question's to my BEST! and if I don’t have an answer....... i will go and do research my self, for your benefit.

Oh and I'm sure other beautiful natty head's on this site will be more then willing to share some of there own wisdom.

P.s. Oh, and I know there is very little of this, but I would just like to make it clear to have no Negative response, or judgmental responses. I’d like for this to be completely free of any negativity!

BE WELL

Pease love and notts! GO ON! .. ASK AWAY

2. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

So i'm Going to start By saying : THANK YOU (KNOTTYLOCKS.TK)

And posting the first question which was sent to me just before this thread was created:

3. positive vibes

positive vibes Member

im using some tea tree oil, which is anti-bacterial and fungal. I dont think it will help to keep the dreads alive, but maybe a bit back combing or palm rolling.

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Earthy MAMA if you are about pm me and i'll send you my step mums email address, she makes soaps and is going to start making dread soaps and will have recipies.

If that fails i recomend washing with sea salt water, and with clean water (to take away salty residue) this helps keep the hair dry. Tea tree oils, they help dandruff and keep away nasty buggies, and itchyness, esspecially good if you have a bad scalp.
    Aloe Vera is fantastic for keeping your hair healthy. I wouldnt recomend any comercial chemical aloe shampoos however i was speaking to a lady whos from Nigeria (i think cant quite remember) but she said its much better to actually buy and aloe plant or grown one and get the leaves split them open, scrape out the white stuff inside the leafs and lather up with water, that works as a shampoo.
    To help aid Knotting i recomend sea water again but also lemon juice in water, 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts water approx, spray it over your hair but be carefull it WILL bleach in the sun.

If you want to buy ready made soaps i recomend small hand made soap companies which dont use chemicals, i use Lush. But any small soap comapy, find one which does shampoo bars, and look for one WITHOUT and conditioning products in it. Especiall look for the elements ive noted above but i use a Juniper soap (whcih has tea tree in it too) I say go for shampoo bars because they last MUCH longer than liquid shampoo, are far more compact and wont leak everywhere :)

Happy clean dreading (and great thread electricbuddah :p *hugs*)

5. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

yay! flessy! Everytime I checked to see if ur hipforums s/n was on to talk to u about this u weren't on. I haven't left yet, something happened and now I'm staying a couple more days at least. I have an idea though. I donated to hipforums (thanks mom! lol) and I don't have a forum. If skip will let me I will make a dreadlock care forum and leave you two (electricbuddah and flessy) in charge of it as mods. Its just an idea, get back to me on what u guys think.

6. ArtLoveMusic

Yea defiantly it would be a great idea. Because the amount of times ive had to repeat advice constantly is silly. ive been considering wiriting up a whole "dread care" sheet and just sending it to anyone who asks :) hehe. I'd be up for moderating alongsie Buddah, we get on quite well so im sure it wouldnt be any problem :)
    Where are you traveling to then babe?

7. Earthy Mama

all over the U.S. for now. Down to Flordia, over to the west coast then after that. My plans are always changing. I might get going tomorrow. I've got a friend's funeral first though. :(

8. ArtLoveMusic

Ahh pooy im sorry to hear about your friend. *hugs*

Its a shame i wont be in Florida any time soon. my parents have a condo out there that i still have yet to go to. Sounds like you are going to have a Magical journey :)

9. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Ohhhhh Yay!!!! I'm so happy this is coming along quite well!

That is an absolutely wonderful idea! AND I would be more then honored to assist along side with Fleassy!!!!!

Fleassy! you are awesome!

Why i created this is because so many people sporadically asking for advice on new made threads here and there, and to have one place with a bundle of information and love, and advice to give out to people.. for us to share the beauty:p

:) AND I'm really excited to send you something Fleassy I have the perfect little thinking gift for you!... though I may have to wait awhile until it's complete or until I gain the material’s needed! but let me tell you!!!! im am excited

10. Earthy Mama

ok u two put ur heads together and think up the name of the forum so I can write to skip about it! :)

11. skankleft

skankleft Member

mmm, I love this thread, I constantly get new questions about my dreadies because I am just begining my dreadlock journey.
    So here's my most current question:
    How long would you say it takes to get your dreads really locked up, like so tight they don't come out a bit because mine constantly slowly come out but I thought maybe this is because they're only about 1 1/2 months old. So how long does it take (average) to get all locked up knotty style?

12. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

:) Well You see it varies from person to person, and no how you got your dreadlocks done in the first place… I know u back combed or twisted and ripped but either way...

For some people its a year, some a few months, and others 2 years until there comfortably settled in... but that’s just the begging of a long and wonderful road of the natty locks they just get better as the years go on. (Patience my good friend)

For me it's been 6 months now and I have never worried about them ever.. some of my dreadie’s don’t like the way I dreaded them and pulled them self into it's self creating loops or funky growth and re-natted itself on its own agenda :p

So give it 2 or 3 months and they will just start a growing

13. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Say... you live in nelson! =] That’s absolutely wonderful! I used to live there.. but my dad just lives there now.. so I visit allot, about 4 or 5 times a year.. ohhh and Shambhala!

14. ArtLoveMusic

As Electric said it totaly depends. But its totally normal for your to do that at that time. When my dreads were atthat age they had just stayrted to look TERRIBLE... infact there was more fluff than dread... you have to remember your hair will do whgat it wants... give it a few months, dont wax.. play with them if you want or just leave them. Rip to keep sections if ou want them but aside from that just let them be... mine are coming up to a year and are stillreally fluffy. They WONT stop dreading but they will probably start getting tighter at about 6 months, that was when i noticed it. Just revel in the fluff.... love the fluff hehe.

15. ArtLoveMusic

Yea this thread is a really good idea, and when we geta whole room it will be so much easyer because we can have sticky'd threads for the most common asked questions and then space for others to ask more questions hehe.

Ohhhh what shall we call it? Knotty....no ...Dready... no Lock It Up :p hehe like Look it up...only... lo...oh...fine ..ok i know they are terrible sujjestions :p

*gasp* a little giftete!! ooooh yay!! *gets excited* ... oh now im in suspence... grrr..... wot is it *poke poke poke*...... hehe *hugs* wohooo! I just bought these wikkid little wooden beads but the holes are TINY but im going to drill them bigger and send you one i think :) they are crazy looking.

16. Earthy Mama

How about the "Headie Dreadies Forum"? I'm leaving tomorrow so hopefully I can get it all set up... if it gets set up after I'm gone though I'll make sure skip knows who mods it.

17. ArtLoveMusic

Or Lock loving, Dread Affair, Knotty Know-how, Lock it Up, Lock n Roll *chuckle*, Knott a lot. hehe you choose, its essentially your room, we are just looking after it for you.

18. Earthy Mama

ok guys, the idea has been pitched to Skip. Hopefully we'll hear back on it soon so we can get started. :) I decided I liked the name: Knotty Know-How.

Eryn

19. Earthy Mama

OK GUYS THE FORUMS UP! check it out under personal forums. So far I am listed as the only mod but I've asked skip to change that or show me how to change that. I've posted a couple stickys already. feel free to add some. yay! our own dread forum!

20. ArtLoveMusic

*gasp!!* YAAAAAAAAY!! hehehe thank youuu!!