Info on Dreads

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by DharmaBum, May 9, 2004.

1. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Hey Guy's!

As someone who doesn't have a clue about how to Dread your hair i'm looking for any info i can get on How it's done and what would be an acceptable hair length as i'm strongly thinking about getting dreads...it's currently just below my shoulder's in Length and my hair is pretty Fair and Light...So any resources on the Subject or just general info would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!

2. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I'll give you a site name, but I can tell you personally I just backcombed and used Fructis wax(sucks) and it worked, until I could get Kboy wax, and ppl on here are gonna say 'wax suxs" or w/e but screw them my dreads are fine and almost wax free.

knottyboy.com read their FAQ

3. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

www.knottylocks.com

For my dreads I just backcombed and then twisted them with pliable pommade.
    But they started falling out, despite me twisting them constantly.
    Today I twisted them with bees wax and melted some of that shit into my locks and they hold real well.
    I say use bees wax, even if you have really straight, difficult hair, bees wax will lock it up.

4. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

is there any vegan wax that could be used?

5. neoteny

neoteny Member

Even if you have "really straight difficult hair," you don't need wax. It doesn't help anything at all. If anything, it hinders locking and makes your dreads more likely to get moldy and gross. Backcombing is enough by itself.

6. ForestDweller

ForestDweller Member

I bet you that soy wax could be used!

7. Tamee

Tamee naked

what does "backcombing" mean?

8. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

i don't know about soy wax, i'm thinking it would be too soft.

my simple advice > DO wash your hair, just don't use any conditioner or even any conditioning shampoo. that stuff will keep your hair nice and soft, and you don't want that. it's hair that's a little on the dry side that will knot up faster.

backcombing is just like it sounds. taking a section of hair and coming up (towards the roots) instead of down.

use wax or don't i think that's just a personal preferance thing :)

also it doesn't hurt to get yourself some hats or scarves to keep your hair up for a few weeks. just get a tam and shove all your pretty new dreads up in it.

much love,
    sarahstar

9. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

you'll not probably want to wash every day, but residue free shampoo like what they have on knottyboy and other sites should be good. i've been using this stuff from the regular old shampoo aisle. it's called Prell and says "rinse clean" on the label. it seems to rinse clean too and is cheap as dirt.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

there's a hairdresser that I think will do dreads, I'm going to have some done (because I couldn't be bothered with doing it myself) just before the summer... I've a wedding to go to in July so right in time for that...

11. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

Check out Knotty Know How in the personal forums here. Lots of advice and support there. Don't use wax!! It will stay in your dreads forever and make them moldy and sticky and gross! Trust me. I used wax on my first set of dreads for the first 6 months. Two years later when I cut them off, the wax was still in the middle of my dreads. Yuck! I have dreaded about 6 heads without using wax, and in my experience, dreads without wax knot up faster than waxed dreads. If you want to tame the frizzies, use some aloe vera.

12. Diddy Dreads

Diddy Dreads Member

13. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

is a waste of money... buy the sulplys on your own and get a good friend over. :)

14. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

all the websites are a waste of time and money

get a flea comb and a good friend to help.

Wax is bad... check out all the good advice in the "knotty know how" thread in the personal forums. They have advice on everything you could ever ask.

and don't go to a salon. Dreads take ALL DAY!!! IF by chance a hairdresser knew how to put them in, you're gonna pay a shitload because it will take hours upon hours if not a day or two. Most hairdressers don't know how to put dreads in though. Htey do the twist crap like Angelina Jolie had in Gone in 60 Seconds. It will be sprayed, maybe waxed and fall out in a day or two.

15. stealy0urface49

stealy0urface49 Member

i wanted natural dreads so i did stated making them the most natural way i could think of...i stoped washing and brushing my hair, but as time went by i thought about how my hair it more likley to dread if its not "greasy" this is around the time i bought natural shampoo (deadsea shampoo)...it makes my hair dry, which causes my hair to dread quicker...i now have 6 dreads in my hair...there underneath hitting the back of my neck (only one can be seen by simply looking at my head, the reast are hidden) i shower daily and wear my shower cap haha for a few days than shower without it...its been working for me..hope it will do they same for you! peace and love to all who walk this earth...Esther