Indie Music

Discussion in 'Alternative and Indie Music' started by Leslay, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Leslay

Leslay Members

Salutations,

I really dig music and I would love to share a few of my favorite artists and songs :)

Cuco - Summertime Hightime
    Mac Demarco - Chamber of Reflection
    Yellow Days - A Little While
    Homeshake - Call Me Up
    Her's - Cool With You
    The Marias - I Don't Know You
    Rex Orange County - Sunflower
    Chicano Batman - Black Lipstick
    Feng Suave - Sink into the Floor
    Gus Dapperton - Ditch
    boy pablo - Everytime
    Good Morning - Warned You
    Temporex - Nice Boys
    Crumb - Plants
    Mild High Club - Homage
    Banes World - Drowsy
    SALES - Sorry Bro
    Omar Apollo - Unbothered
    Sports - Whatever You Like
    The Walters - I Love You So
    Mark Whalen - The Things You Do (to Me)
    Steve Lacy - RYD
    Soft Cell - Tainted Love
    Goons - Fight the Feeling
    The Growlers - Going Gets Tough
    Phoenix - If I Ever Feel Better
    Beach House - Space Song
    Clairo - Hello?
    Tame Impala -
    Kali Unchis - Dead to Me

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't really keep up on Indie bands tbh. I think that some are talented. Like for instance the other day I was thinking about Cage the Elephant. They have a pretty good singer! :)

Anyway, I'm really really into other types of music. I mostly listen to electronic stuff. I like Pig&Dan, and I just bought the latest Crystal Method. I listen to EDM like Marshmellow, Porter Robinson, Madeon, and Illenium to name a few. But I like old school stuff as well... Carl Cox, Paul Oakenfold, John Digweed etc. Before I ever listened to anything house/trance or otherwise, I listened to what we then referred to as 'emo'. This means different things depending on who you ask, but it's my understanding that it stands for "emotion" in rock or music or what have you. Anyway, the point of mentioning that it means different things is that this was before there was panic at the disco or fall out boy (not that I have anything against either band). So I guess the point is there's the new emo which seems to be a little bit hair and makeup, and there's the old emo which I would say was a sort of alternative rock. These genres make no sense and I digress.

I really like music too. Nice to meet you.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm really confused on what's considered indie and what isnt. To me, indie is a distribution method. I would consider Talib Kewli 'indie."

Despite that, a lot of major lable acts I listen to are considered "indie," so I'm confused. How do you define indie?

4. Leslay

Leslay Members

Thank you so much for your response and likewise ! I will listen to some of the music you listen to because I love expanding my music taste :)

soulcompromise likes this.
  5. Leslay

Leslay Members

I consider 'indie' independent music that isn't mainstream. Indie music to me is defined as music that has a chill mellow vibe and makes one feel relaxed and like you're having a chill summer night at the beach with friends.

6. When I think of indie music I just think of hipster music. Really contrived music to make you feel like you're smarter than everybody else. But I am mistaken, of course.

soulcompromise likes this.
  7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Wouldn't that include shit like Pink Floyd?

8. Leslay

Leslay Members

haha honestly perhaps I just wanted to share some of the songs and artists I enjoy :)

9. Leslay

Leslay Members

Oh, no! Not for me haha This type of music just calms me but we all are entitled to our own opinions on how we perceive it. Perhaps you should give some of the artists I listed a chance :)

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I have similar feelings, but all in all I think that it comes down to the production side of things. I feel like indie means that you're not on a major label - yet - and that you're using frugal means to produce your music and keep it with the loyal fan base rather than expanding to the larger circuit. This may be inaccurate however, or if it's accurate at all it may be outdated.

11. That would make punk indie, though, and punk isn't indie. But punks and indians seem to get along okay. They both have mohawks and listen to indie music.

12. fatelvis

fatelvis Member

Hey Lesley, thanks for posting that list. I can't wait to work my way through it.

Are you a fan of Rainbow Kitten Surprise? Their album that came out this year is by far my favorite new thing of 2018.

Leslay likes this.
  13. Leslay

Leslay Members

AH yes I love them ! One of my favorite songs by them is "Oh Darling"

14. Leslay

Leslay Members

I haven't listened to them but I will definitely check them out ! Also, thank you so much for your super kind comment (":

15. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

You should check out "Yesterday" by them as well. It's a little more underground, but it's a zinger!

Leslay likes this.