indian chicken curry

Discussion in 'Chicken' started by scarlettchasingroses, Oct 27, 2004.

1. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

this is best served with fresh Naan bread and jasmine or basmati rice.

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
    1/2 teaspoon white sugar
    salt to taste
    2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 cup plain yogurt
    3/4 cup coconut milk
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Simmer 5 more minutes.

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

mmm... anything curried is awesome

3. Bella_Donna

Bella_Donna *Femme Fatale*

Oh man, I just have to try this! I'll let you know how mine turns out.:) I don't dig coconut, though, do you think I could substitute it for something else? If so, what?

4. C Raziest

C Raziest Member

I like chicken curry very much but since I'm willing to lose some weight,I got to eat healthy..here's a low carb chickne curry recipe for those on diet

Low fat chicken curry

[​IMG]

Nutrition Information Per Serving

| 272 calories
    | 11.0g fat | 39.0g protein
    | 6.2g carb | 0.4g fibre

Ingredients

1 tbsp Oil
    10g Butter
    3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
    1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
    2 tbsp Garam Masala
    1 tsp Ground Coriander
    ½ tsp dried mint
    570g Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, diced
    200 ml water

Method

Heat the oil and butter in a wok or large, heavy frying pan. Add the garlic and onion and stir fry for about 5 minutes until onion is golden.
    Stir in the garam masala, coriander and mint. Add the chicken and cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add the water, stir, and simmer without a lid for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened.
    If you like fresh coriander, stir in a tablespoon, chopped, prior to serving.

Source:http://www.imsickofbeingfat.com

5. SimplyRecipesIdeas

SimplyRecipesIdeas Members

6. Butterfly23

Butterfly23 Members

I like the low carb chicken curry recipe for those on diet. I'm actually not, but prefer to eat healthy.

7. charleshughes

charleshughes Members

Chicken is the most delicious food, but should be cooked properly in order to eliminate all bacteria’s from it. http://www.howtodefrostchicken.com is the best site which gives all details and tips of how to defrost the chicken in a proper and safest way. Some of you may be curious enough as to way microwave defrosting is the best way in thawing the chicken, when other methods like washing in the sink, etc are available. Well the main reason behind it is, you cannot eliminate bacteria just by washing it in sink, but when you try to defrost the chicken in microwave, the waves helps to eliminate all unwanted bacteria present inside the chicken, giving you the safest chicken to consume. Also it is fast ever method, when you compare it to other methods; and by using microwave you can also reduce the chicken flavor and Also it is very crucial to wash your hands before and after handling the raw chicken, because handling chicken with unclean hands will further contaminate your chicken more and more.
    You should never frost a whole chicken meat. It looks effective for saving your valuable time, but frosting a whole chicken gives more chance to bacteria to grow well and increase their population, and hence creates more contamination of chicken making it unsafe to consume. Also defrosting the raw meat at room temperature is also dangerous as it helps in growth of bacteria at higher rate, and hence should be avoided by all.