india pale ale

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Jay721, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Products get renamed all the time when an old name loses meaning. As soon as it wasn't primarily a beer anymore for the imperial army overseas it would have made sense that it got another name and we would probably not have noticed how and why it was made in the first place. So that's why it is fun that these english/american breweries still call these beers ipa.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

the part I find interesting is the new trend of IPAs. Black IPA. I am like...do you even know what the P stands for?
    Or west coast IPA. I don't know though maybe some Californian was taking long boat trips to India. I am sure I could go to a beer store and find several more examples but not off the top of my head.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA..

5. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I've crossed over to being an IPA enthusiast instead of formerly trash talking them. I would run IPAs name through the mud!
    Now I can't get a bitter enough beer. Lots of ipas boast hoppiness but have more of a sweet malt flavor to me.
    A good friend of mine inspired me a little to try different beers even when you can get ones that you like.
    Space Juice is above average, but hard to find.
    Sip of Sunshine is also both good but rare.
    I really want to get to Trillium and Treehouse. Trillium does distribute locally (Mass) but Treehouse does not.

1 person likes this.
  6. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

It took me some time to warm up to IPAs too but I love them now... try O'Doyle Rules... fun name and good, but on the lighter side for IPAs for sure... I really enjoy it on a hot day... definitely a session IPA

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I still think IPAs are overrated. I will drink them but they're not my favorite

Penguin posted an article a few days ago about the evolving top 150 beers on beer advocate.com. dont remember the exact stats but I remember it mentioned in 2001 there were only a small handful of IPAs on the list and now there's like 80..well I'm pulling the number 80 out of my ass but it was around half if I remember correctly.

I dont get the popularity. I've noticed people who are just getting into craft beer seem to gravitate towards IPAs which had always struck me as strange, there are other styles that seem like they would be more palatable to people who are new to craft beer

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Even if it's not Indian, being called India just makes me not want it.

9. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

I couldn't drink them several years ago, they were too bitter for me... I actually really enjoyed the Belgian wheat ales like Alagash White from Maine I really enjoyed... my tastebuds must've changed because I can't drink the wheat ales anymore and they give me stomach aches now on top of it... just my beer tasting evolution I gusss... I drink my coffee black now too I could never do that before either... glitch in the matrix maybe