Incense sticks

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Gyro Gearloose, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

For puja at home I generally offer good ol' Nag Champa. It's relatively inexpensive, readily available, and due to a lifetime's use it's scent is very evocative to me of happiness and contentment. YMMV.
    For puja with a sangha I prefer Japanese solid incense; expensive, but very little smoke and a subtle scent; less likely to aggravate anyone who might be sensitive. My teacher would always ask if anyone would mind some incense; if anyone objected, he'd simply offer incense without lighting it.

2. DINO CORTEZ

DINO CORTEZ Members

I prefer "Triloka" brand incense from India. Frankincense is the only incense I burn.

I have used many different types since the seventies, and this one hits the spot for me.

I also heat/burn Frankincense resin, but this is a very finicky process and dangerous if one uses carbon pads indoors (high carbon monoxide poisoning risk). Because I live in the world of woodstoves in winter, there is often a sufficiently heated metal surface to place some resin crystals on. But, unlike incense, which burns and releases consistent aroma (with smoke) from top to bottom, Frankincense resin has a "sweet spot" temperature wise. It needs a minimum temp to get the aroma going, but too much temp will burn the resin and you get nothing but unpleasant lingering smoke.

When properly burned, for me, nothing beats a hint of Frankincense in my living space and studio.

A more contemporary alternative I also enjoy, is the variety of pure essential oils in a diffuser, or topically applied (with coconut oil dilution if required).

And a more recent discovery for me, in addition to my ever faithful Sage, is Palo Santo, a resinous wood that, like Cedar, does produce smoke, but the fragrance is longer lasting in the air.

As for which scents, this is a separate topic, as various scents personally affect us differently. Citric scents, often referred to as "high notes" in aromatherapy, can cause headaches for some folks (like me), and other scents have specialized qualities (Eucalyptus/Cypress for breathing; Frankincense for meditation, etc.).

-Dino

~Zen~ likes this.
  3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

You really know your aromas!

What do you think about patchouli? I love that, but everyone immediately says 'its for hippies!' when they smell it.

4. DINO CORTEZ

DINO CORTEZ Members

I have no experience with patchouli, but as for aroma therapy and such, nice smells and great music are always around me - it helps stay grounded in the world of today.

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My mate absolutely abhors patchouli. Yes; frankincense resin on a charcoal wafer is best, but for everyday use joss sticks are so much easier.

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I haven't burnt now in a long long time but I used to get my incense online from Anna's incense. They were really good sticks.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Patchouli, sandalwood, nag Champa was the three main ones. Id get other ones too I just don't remember what they were now.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

Anna makes great incense... I remember that brand from Amsterdam, would get some at the Waterlooplein Open Air Market... you know the one with the antiques and such by the City Hall?

9. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I have never been to Holland. Here's where I used to buy it. Welcome To Anna's Incense she is in British Columbia I believe.

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. ~Zen~

Well I think you'd enjoy it :) glad she has a world-wide following!

11. Pearl^Grrl

Pearl^Grrl Members

Have to agree on the quality of nag champa. I’ve been using the years now - ever since my Nan introduced me to them as a kid. It was only when I bought some on eBay during pandemic that I discovered what a huge range they do! As most stores here will only have 2 or 3 choices…

~Zen~ likes this.
  12. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

i was using nag champa for years ,,,i thought they were good until i discovered native soul,,,the white sage and cedar is exeptional

~Zen~ likes this.
  13. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

best incense I have ever encountered is Auroshika, from the Sri Aurobindo ashram in Pondicherry, India.

all natural incense

couple of things. please be mindful of folks with asthma and other breathing problems.

and generally don't "bomb" a small room with tons of incense without any ventilation. Not good for anyone's respiratory issues.

good incense, like Auroshika is strong and only need a tiny bit to really fill a room

~Zen~ likes this.
  14. ~Zen~

I will look for that!

JonJRR88 likes this.
  15. swan616

swan616 Members

Krishna chick told me that's the best

~Zen~ likes this.