In Memorium.

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by FreeBird1969, Aug 17, 2005.

1. FreeBird1969

FreeBird1969 Fleas on their paws.

This Saturday, the blasting of Hunter S. Thompson's ashes will take place.

:(

In the words of Ralph Steadman, artist and co-founder of teh Gonzo:

"I wish he'd shot himself through the bollocks and at least experienced the pain of it and wrote about it because his brain would still be there. He shot away the one thing we all respected and revered. The most expressive, most beautiful brain - there aren't many in a lifetime, you know? The bastard was a coward."

Sigh.

Jesus, I think I really did love him.

Well, in other news. My brother used the words "Bob Dylan" and "musical genius" in the same sentence yesterday. And then my world came crashing down. :eek:

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Its too bad that I never got to rub that bald head of his. :(

3. FreeBird1969

God, it's just hit me. He's really gone. Never to ridicule or belittle the ignorant of America again. :(

4. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I guess you'll just have to step up and take his place. :)

5. canadian_boy

canadian_boy Brohn Zmith

It's sad that he died .

6. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Good riddance.

Too bad he didn't shoot himself BEFORE he started writing.

7. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

Everyone just ignore that last post.

8. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Why?

What did he write that was of any lasting worth?

The guy was a fraud, a liar and a charlatan. And, judging by his doveshot trepanation, a coward.

9. fruit bat

Shit disturber.

10. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Nope. I'm not trolling here. I really believe the guy is an overhyped gasbag.

What's worse is people read his made-up shit and believe it has some semblance to reality.

11. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

LOL the same is true of politicians, which is even more worrying. Not sure how much power writers can weild but it's probably got nothing on nuclear weapons.

Free speech works both ways people. So hey let Irongoth vent.
    Surely we aren't so mindless and insecure in our opinions that you can't just think 'meh whatever' and resume business as usual. Or maybe take his point on board, who knows, it might be valid.

Haven't read any of Thompson's work, so can't claim an opinion. May do out of curiosity, now that you've mentioned it.
    Regardless, that's a pretty awesome funeral idea.

12. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Do it with a wad of salt fixed firmly under your tongue.

He's most famous for two works:

Hell's Angels: He promised em beer and a fair expose. He delivered neither. ENOUGH SAID. Read Sonny Barger's book and you'll hear what Thompson was really like.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: He was asked to show up to Las Vegas to cover an event. Decided instead to skip the event and make the reporting up, and got totally smashed, hammered, drugged up, destroyed, and proceeded to vandalise tons of property. Yeah, that's professional journalism right there.

Dude was all mouth and no balls. In addition, he often invoiced for stuff he didn't do and expenses he didn't incur. He was a charlatan and a fraud.

13. Colours

Colours Senior Member

i mainly dislike him because it seems like the hip thing to do for young drugies to idolize him.

14. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Exactly.

If you're gonna idolise someone, idolise someone with character and balls.

Too many hippies idolise people like terrorist supporter John Lennon, child diddler Allan Ginsburg and chickensh*t liars like Thompson.

15. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Frankly, I really don't give a flying rat's ass... he had a good life, wrote good shit, called himself a journalist, and made it a career. He never intended to be serious about any of it and he basically fell into journalism by accident, when he entered the Air Force. I don't see you doing any of that that... Yes, there is free speech, which we all know and which was one of the opportunities and civil liberties that Hunter took advantage of.

And as for who he was beyond that, I couldn't give less of a flying fuck because I want you to know that I bought yet another book by HST today and I continue to do so.

Thanks for informing us.

And by the way... I think most of the people that stereotypical "hippies" idolize are kind of... off, anyway. I really don't care. I think John Lennon was an asshole, but he wrote catchy songs with Paul and was good at it. That doesn't stop me from listening to the Beatles...

But I must say, I'm moreso a fan of George Harrison anyway, though I don't consider myself to be a Beatles fan. I generally just follow the jam scene.

I think the best book by HST that I've read, so far, is Kingdom of Fear.

I agree, he could have at least gone out differently. A sheet or two of acid and jumping off a bridge/out of a plane would be my choice if I was to ever do it, myself. No need to waste a life like that. I'd rather have some fun on the way out.

16. FreeBird1969

You know what's sad?

All I was trying to do was pay homage to one of my favorite writers.

It's a matter of respect. Let him do it somewhere else.

17. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Someone always had to be the one to ruin the fun.

18. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

RE: It's a matter of respect. Let him do it somewhere else

If he's worthy of respect he'll get mine. He wasn't - in fact he was a near-complete waste of oxygen.

19. fruit bat

Why must you stress this repeatedly?! The man is dead. You don't have to think about him anymore. If you think so poorly of him, why concern yourself with him?!

Now, why don't you go draw moustaches on all the people's pictures in the obituaries or something?

20. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

All I was doing was pouring a small measure of reality into the love-in.

Whether you still think he's this awesome author or not still is none of my concern.