Imagine the next Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Children's Books' started by Penny, May 15, 2004.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

First of all, I have to say the last book is incredible, I just finished reading it for the 2nd time, and it was great. I have to admit that J.K Rowling is a genius.

Second, I'm really sorry if that kind of question has already been asked (which wouldn't surprise me!), but I haven't been on the books forum for ages...

So, what do you think is going to happen is the next book? I have a few ideas...
    - Neville's plant: it has to have a bigger role, by that I mean more important... I just have a feeling about that plant!
    - Fleur Delacour - the French girl from the 4th book: I'm sure she's gonna come back... maybe to marry Bill or something!
    - something is gonna happen between Percy and his parents... after what happened in the last book, there are gonna be explanations, and stuff...
    - Harry is gonna find a new girlfriend: I don't think he'll go back to Cho
    - I have a feeling that something is gonna happen between Ron and Hermione, too! I mean, look how jealous of Krum Ron is... I'm sure he loves her!
    - great stuff are gonna happen with Lupin... since he's gonna be back to school
    - stuff with Hagrid, too, of course... something big about Graup!!!!
    - something with the Malfoys... Drago are Harry are gonna fight seriously or something
    - I have a feeling that Neville is gonna fight that bitch, Bellatrix, and win (he has to! after what she did to his parents...) but that might happen in the last book though
    - something between Snape and Harry: they can't stay enemies like that, if Harry wants to become an Auror, he has to take potions classes with him, and, it can't be in bad conditions... maybe Snape is gonna get over his thing with James or Harry is gonna save his life or vice-verça, or something
    - and... Sirius is gonna come back. He has to, he left too early! It's impossible, he's gonna come back somehow, I know it.

Thoughts about all that? Anything to add?

2. wiufcaoltp

wiufcaoltp Welcome To The Interzone

I pretty much agree... especially about Harry and Snape.

3. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

*SPOILERS!! Highlight the following to read* I can't believe Siruis died, like seriously! when he fell in i was like "nooooooooooooooooo!!!!" and i was totally expecting him to come back or something.

4. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Ooh, I have so many theories about what might happen in the next books. It's one of my favorite topics, honestly. (Heh I am a loser, I know.) I agree with a lot of what you said - except for maybe the part about a new girlfriend for Harry and the Snape and Harry thing.

In my opinion, Harry is not going to have a girlfriend in year six, just because he is going to have way too much on his mind. He didn't seem to be very upset about Cho at the end of year five - and I doubt he will be actively looking for a romantic interest with everything else he will be dealing with. Also, I don't think that anything will ever make Snape get over his animosity towards Harry. If someone can hold a grudge against an eleven year old boy because his father was an ass, then it's not going to go away when the kid starts getting older. In fact, Harry is probably just getting on his nerves more as he grows up.

Everything else I pretty much agree with. I truly believe we will see Sirius again - it might just be wishful thinking on my part, but...perhaps on Halloween/Samhain? Gah. All right I am stopping now before I go on forever. :)

5. attackmole

attackmole Member

I think Harry and Albus should die, and Ron should become a pimp.

I'm not saying that Harry Potter is bad, the thing is that it's making way too much money for the actual quality of the books. I just don't get what so many kids see in those books.

6. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Pfft. Dumbledore is the pimp, with his flashy hats and robes and junk.

But seriously, it's not so much the quality of the writing as the universe and characters JKR created that attracts me to the books.

7. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

First of all, you're NOT a loser for loving talking about Harry Potter - I love it too, and I'm proud of it! :) In general I love reading so much that I get really into my books and talk about what's happening in them like if I was talking about something happening in real life - maybe I don't have my feet on the ground, but, isn't it better to live in the clouds when you see how sad this world can be sometimes?

Anyways, I understand why you disagree on the Harry and Snape thing: your point is good, but, still... I have a feeling that things will get better thanks to something in particular... like Harry saving his life or something... I mean, really I just can't imagine that Harry didn't pass his OWLs and that he wouldn't be able to take potions again with Snape, because then, he couldn't become an Auror, and that's what he really wants to do! So... since I can't imagine that happening in really bad conditions... you see? But maybe you're right, maybe it'll get worse... I just have a feeling about it getting better, we'll see what happens!

And about Harry getting a new girlfriend... well, in the 5th book, he had A LOT in his mind as well, and, it didn't stop him from loving Cho... so... who knows, maybe we'll see him with Luna Lovegood... lol

Ahhhh.... I feel like a child when I talk about HP, and it's wonderful :)

8. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I agree... it's good writing but what's the most distinctive about the books is the universe and characters. I say it again, JKR is wonderful, she could write a book that can enchant children and adults the same way.

9. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

I am glad to see someone else on here shares my love for HP! Sometimes, I get to talking about it in real life, and no one cares. They just don't get it! :)

About the Snape and Harry thing - well, I don't think it will get worse between them, just that I don't think Snape will ever cut Harry any slack, you know? I totally agree that something is going to happen with them like you mentioned.

JKR has also said in a chat transcript that I read that Harry might have one or two kisses coming up - of course she didn't say which books. It better not be Hermione, though...I am totally with you on the fact that she and Ron belong together! :D

It can't be easy to write books like these - that have the magic and adventure for the kids, but there is more than meets the eye, stuff to think about, for us adults. JRK has done a brilliant job.

10. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

oh, i can't wait for the next book. I love harry potter - especially the way that rowling uses classical refrences throughout the books - the philosophy, the latin, the classics... ah, i love that i'm such a nerd :)

anyway, i think you make great points. I think Harry will get a girl eventually (it's soooo going to be Ginny - yet another 'oh gosh i'm just like my dad' thing for harry, given that both harry's mum and ginny have red hair) but I think that might be more of a book 7 thing. Ron and harry will officially be family, wicked.
    And yeah, in terms of hooking up, ron and hermioine have been having sexual tension forever, it's about time they realised it :) .

I do hope that Sirius comes back; it was too sudden.
    *sigh* i'm all excited now, lol....

11. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Member

I agree about Sirius, yet I don't think that Ron and Hermione will get together. I don't think Snape will change, and I do think that there will be a new girlfriend for Harry, well, good night, I'm off.

12. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I also think that there will be more than a 7th book!!!! I mean, Rowling must get tons of letters evry day where people ask for more. I'm sure that there will be at least 3 more books after the 7th, here is my theory:
    Mc Gonagall told Harry that to become an Auror, he'll have to study for 3 years - so maybe there will be books on his adventures while he's taking his Auror education! That would be great, it would also include their adult lives and all...

Also, it's true that Harry and Ginny might get together - but maybe not in the next book, I think that Ginny is not mature enough yet... also, it's so true it would be so much like James and Lilly, Harry is so much like James and Ginny with her red hair like Lilly... hehe.

13. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Dude, I think Snape's gonna save Harry, or the other way around and there'll be an air of grudging respect between them, but that's just my theory.

14. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

As me and my children are re-reading the last book, the what will happen next thing is often on my mind(yes I know I am forty-two and it is slightly sad!)

Nevilles plant thing Mimbulus Mimbletonia, yep that is going to feature. Neville is definitely being set up for a really big part in the next one.

Maybe not the next book as I think JKR is rather enjoying the sexual tension, but Ron and Hermione together sometime

Eventually if he survives the last book(cos I can see Voldemort and Harry taking each other out) Harry is meant for Ginny(whose character is developing really nicely) As an intermediate plot I would so like Harry to fall in love with a Slytherin, but don't think it will go that way(it would if I wrote the next book!)

Snape, there has to be more, I fancy more revelations about the past, would like Snape to have had an unrequited love for Harrys mother, but unlikely.

I would like more Luna Lovegood( at last a good character not from Gryffindor) more Professor Lupin, maybe in a few books time he can pair up with Luna, and more of the lovely centaur character.

15. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I really really like what you say! I agree with you on every new point you made -

Also I think it's wonderful that you can love HP at your age! I would too, for sure :)

16. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

That is absolutely not sad at all! I am twenty-five and the only person I knew (besides my kids) who loved HP, until I looked around at communities on the internet! There are people from everyone, all ages. It's so wonderful.

Anyhoo - I would like to see more Luna, too. As well as more characters from Slytherin, as I find them fascinating, but I don't know if JRK really has any plans for them. :( Hopefully she does, since the Sorting Hat talked about unity between the houses and all...so something has to happen!

I can't wait to see what she has in store.

17. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

Also I think it's wonderful that you can love HP at your age! I would too, for sure :)[/QUOTE]

One of the great things about having children is that you get to read loads of children books:) I have really enjoyed reading to my three boys(maybe excepting the Thomas the tank engine stories, I think they are a boy thing) and when I read my first Harry Potter, it was such a lovely experience, I think I got more excited than they did whent the last one was published!

18. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

OK...As we have seen in the last book, Harry's mood swings are horrible, whether Voldemort-controlled or not. I have a feeling that he is going to totally go off on Snape (in private of course, maybe detention) and he will bring up the animosity. I think some sort of revalation will be made, but I do think that Snape will continue to be strick with Harry because he is right to othink that too much of coddling the Potter kid will make him too big for his britches.
    As far as Ron and Hermione...That's a given. They've been tense in the sexual area before they hit puberty.
    Harry won't find a good girl, if at all, until the end of the 7th book. With the prophecy now out in the open field of his mind, he is going to be too preoccupied with outing Voldemort and will neglect his sexual desires. But Ginny would be a good pick for him, not just because of the similarities between himself and his father but because marrying her would put him as a true part of a big family, something he has always lacked and craves.
    Neville will be HUGE in the next books...His character has slowly become more complex and has more page space...
    I do not think Sirius will come back in true human form. I think that he will have a portrait and it will speak to Harry. His dying has instilled in Harry the emotion deep enough to enable him to kill Voldemort and if Sirius came back truly in human form, Harry would lose his ammo...
    I do feel that Lupin will be a big part of his life. I think Lupin is going to take Sirius' place to a degree....Someone has to...That's my take on it....

19. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

To be honest, for the longest time, I never got Harry Potter, I was never really in to it... I've read the first two books because my uncle suggested me to, and I watched the movies when I was babysitting, but on my own I never got into Harry Potter.

It's only been about 2 or 3 months ago that I started getting into it on my own... Don't ask me why it suddenly kicked in, but it did! Very cool....

20. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

Does anyone else find Harry Potter extremely annoying?