Images Of Art

Discussion in 'Hip Photos' started by StellarCoon, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

While looking at this, I could just weep with her.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  2. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

Between the two, the style and detail are very different. I like her relaxed and confident pose. His pose is stiff, and he's unusually proportioned for a man.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  3. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They may have been drawn by different artists, but the female figure is a rough sketch and the male is likely from later in the process. It could be that the female figure is more detailed and shaded in other sketches also, but I haven't seen any others. "Unusually proportioned?" The male figure isn't cartoonish. They were probably drawn from live models, and they either reflect the appearance of the models or maybe the hand that drew the male figure wasn't very skilled.

4. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

I wasn't saying that he was badly done. I like them both. He's got very small male bits for an adult, like a disorder of development. Maybe disharmony was intended, or maybe just sketched as he appeared. Part of the variability of nature.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Maybe he's a grower and not a shower

6. NubbinsUp

[​IMG]

Forest Nymph (unspecified, possibly Meliai), Jules-Joseph Lefebvre, c1860.

parua likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yes. It is me.

NubbinsUp and Tyrsonswood like this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Poor ancient greeks and romans... ;) They're portrayed in an unaroused state. It's about the naked body, not sex, lust, sex appeal or the penis.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

10. oxo

oxo Members

Fantasy Art took some beating at one time as it was pure art work at it's best

[​IMG]

StellarCoon likes this.
  11. NubbinsUp

Leaf.jpg

It's a plaster fig leaf cast in London in 1857. That year, the Grand Duke of Tuscany made a present to Queen Victoria of an exact full-size casting of Michelangelo's David, all 6 meters in height of him, and had it shipped to London. The statue's arrival was something of a surprise gift, and although Victoria and other ladies of the court saw it, it's not clear that she ever knew it was fully nude. She likely only saw it with the fig leaf, and it's exactly the kind of thing that a courtier in London would have ordered added to the statue without mention to her and before she saw it.

Victoria made her first visit to Florence much later, in 1888, so it's possible that she saw the original David, or the copy that was put in its original place in the Piazza della Signoria in 1873, or both. They, of course, have never worn fig leaves.

I'm pleased that the young now-unknown quarryman who posed over 500 years ago for Michelangelo did so without reservation. I'm also pleased that the man who modeled much more recently for the sketch on paper that I posted here probably never concerned himself that having a small penis could be distracting to artist or viewer.

The London copy received in 1857 is now at the Victoria and Albert Museum, and that David no longer wears the leaf.

12. NubbinsUp

image.jpeg

Detail of Bernini's "Ecstacy of St. Teresa" (of Avila), marble, 1647-1652, Santa Maria della Vittoria, Rome.

parua, StellarCoon and Meliai like this.
  13. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

getting that good lingus.

14. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

this is awesome

15. NubbinsUp

Deleted content of posting.

Was two pictures, an original dance class by Degas and an art student's impression of the original. No matter what I did with the images before posting, at least one of them always posted here upside down.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  16. Painted tentoes

Painted tentoes Members

Some of my pieces I design 5ACD487C-BA94-49EC-848E-49AC0A859DD1.jpeg

17. Painted tentoes

Painted tentoes Members

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Bump for Giovanni Boldini

boldini-irene-catlin300.jpg marchesa-luisa-casati-giovanni-boldini.jpg 051.jpg Giovanni+Boldini+la+danzatrice+spagnola.jpg

NubbinsUp, parua and MeAgain like this.
  19. parua

parua Members

I looked up the picture of the young lady sitting in the chair, at the top - Portrait of Irene Catlin by
    GIOVANNI BOLDINI
    Italian, 1842 - 1931.

She's sitting in a dark, mostly red room, in what appears to be a slip, or night gown, maybe? Or is it a summer dress? At first I was thinking she was a lady of the night, in the dark red room, with flowers on the walls.

She doesn't seem open. Her arms cross her body amd one is being held as if she could use it to drag herself from the room, if she felt she needed.

I don't think she's a prostitute. She does some other kind of work. Her shoulders are cream white, turning light shade of peach amd light pink. But her hands are red...having-done-work red. Maybe laundry in hot water. Maybe gardening in the burning sun. I think she's wearing summer dress. Probably not used to sitting to be painted...or maybe too used to it.

All of those are very nice finds !

20. parua

parua Members

^^^Ugh, that's what happens when you get talked into having a few extra drinks, and it's past your bedtime.

Do paid members get more time to edit posts?