Images from the Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by newo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

A 19 yr old kid I came from a family that served when called. -Although I disagreed with everything about the Vietnam war. when my number came up in Decenber of 69- -I was on my way to Texas for field medic training-(even though it probaby wouldnt have been hard to evade the draft) -
    These photos bring back some rough memories, but to be honest- -there were days when the country looked peaceful, and you shared a beer with a buddy, or maybe you were at a picnic near the beach city near DaNang- -but all that could vanish in a moment- before you knew it you were in some forsakken rice patty in Dak To.
    I speak at a VA hospital in Philly once in awhile, so rather than post pics of the horrors that we already have seen.. Id like to post pics of the horrors that the vet goes thru when he gets back to the world - the dispair, the homelessness, the norrible feeling that they have been forgot about - - I dont have permission to use the pics Of the guys I have,,but I try to post some off the net

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+homeless+vietnam+vets&client=firefox-a&hs=IE2&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VZ3qU4agMe7fsATM2IKQBw&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=667

Thanks for the respect and love- - hate the war not the warrior

2. thismoment

thismoment Member

Hanoi is still Hanoi (or Ha Noi) and Saigon (Sai Gon) is what many people in VN still call Ho Chi Minh City. VN is still a far-out place. Hue is my favorite city. It seems like it's always rainy there, always kind of damp and mossy. My wife and I have walked a lot of misty streets in Hue. There's a lot of ghosts there too. Beautiful Hue.

1 person likes this.
  3. WE1

WE1 Member

Hue, pronounced Way, is the old imperial city and it had lots of old building and places. I was a medic with the 2nd - 502nd infantry stationed at Camp Eagle in Phu-Bai during the war, which was only 10-15 miles south of the city.

1 person likes this.
  4. thismoment

thismoment Member

Far out - cool that you remember it in that way. I certainly do! Phu Bai is still the airport - though smaller now.

Vietnam is a great place to visit. I just googled images hue vietnam and almost all the photos are of old temples and so on. But Hue is also full of groovy, mossy (during wet season) stucco buildings, neighborhoods, coffee stands, and so on. People are nice, especially to older people like you and me.

Hit me up if you think you might go. I don't think I'll be going back, but I can help you get headed in some good directions and avoid error.

1 person likes this.
  5. WE1

WE1 Member

Nice to meet you thismoment[​IMG]

Thanks for the offer, but somethings are better left in the past. [​IMG]

6. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's been 3 years since anybody posted any images of the war on this thread. Who's got some? Even if you download them!

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

to much talk no images.. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

8. WE1

WE1 Member

Sorry to bore you with idle chit-chat.

How's this?

[​IMG]

And this is one's really cool. Just like old times. Man, I wish I was back there now.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

That was probably an issue of Hustler magazine.
    In the mid '70's Hustler/Larry flint was being charged with obscenity bullshit because of how graphic the girlie pics were.
    In response in one issue they showed a bunch of very gruesome and very, very graphic war pics in vivid color with the simple question; "Which is more obscene?"
    I think it was in 1976, some of those pics are burned in my mind, ya know the kind you wish you never saw.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

11. newo

12. WE1

WE1 Member

Vietnam wasn't only about fighting, only a quarter of the troops in-country were in actual combat, the rest were considered support. Vietnam also had some of the best weed in the world during the late 60s and early 70s. Much of it came from Thailand and I'd estimate even the average stuff that would sell for 30 MPC* a kilo what about 15% THC. We also had O-Jay's dipped in pure opium that we're readily available and the inner-city pharmacies sold really strong French speed called Obisatol, and downer's called Obinactol - smack was nearly 100% pure and sold by children on street corners. You really won't believe what was going on over there. I use to call Vietnam the 'Dangerous Disneyland'.' Because, the place was a total trip, exceptionally dangerous - and surreal beyond your wildest imaginations.

MPC* was Military Payment Certificates which we called Monopoly money because it had little or no meaning to us, we would spend it like it had no real value. We used MPC as money because military personnel were not allowed to carry U.S. dollars due to its black-market value, because U.S. money was doubled when traded on the Black Market. Why?

Because Charlie used the U.S. dollars he got from civilians to buy weapons and supplies locally.

[​IMG]

This is how the term give me a 'shotgun' was invented - yes by using a real shotgun. But you had to clean the barrel and chamber out first otherwise, the smoke tested a little like gun lube.

13. newo

Let's not forget the other invention brought back from Vietnam: the bong!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.