Images from the Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by newo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

We are?

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Many of us are. The veterans and their families, those who opposed the war, and those who lost loved ones. People still question what the whole damn thing was for and whether or not we've come out of it any wiser.

3. odonII

odonII O

I think your selection of pictures highlight what you think.
    I think the point is, after nearly 40 years you should know what you think about X,Y and Z.
    If you are still questioning, then you will never know.
    It sounds harsh. but the scab seems to have healed, and it is only opened if you REALLY want it opened, it seems.

4. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Great Post!!!

5. odonII

odonII O

...what is?

6. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

Yes, I think we are. In lots of ways. The Vietnam War was so divisive ... it was one of the things that fueled the counterculture movement in the late 60s and early 70s. There was a time, during the 70s, that military men were forbidden to wear their uniforms when off base because of the harassment they got. Contrast that with the hero's welcome that soldiers, sailors, and airmen receive today, and you can understand why plenty of Vietnam veterans are still resentful of the treatment they got.

And that's not even to mention things like the MIA issue, which was basically just swept under the rug, except in certain high profile cases.

I'd say that Vietnam left a scar on the national psyche that has taken a long, long time to heal.

7. newo

But the scar remains. I don't agonize over Vietnam, just like all else in life it's best to put it behind you and move on, but as the saying goes, those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

8. thismoment

thismoment Member

That war has informed the US in at least one respect: There is a concerted effort (gvt and private) to reach out to veterans and welcome them home. Very different from the Vietnam days.

I think for a long time there were some pretty raw Vietnam veterans and there was basically zero treatment for PTSD. There is more now, but not enough. Thanks to weed, psychedelics, a great wife, a lot of work on my part, I'm over it, but I wouldn't fault any combat veteran who isn't over it. And I know that the parents of men who were killed aren't over it and
    I know that spouses, children and others were deeply affected as well.

9. roamy

roamy Senior Member

another war that should never have been.never!

10. thismoment

thismoment Member

Proof that the war lingers on for some people.

I've traveled some in Vietnam in recent years, from Hanoi to Saigon and points between. There is only one direction the VN people are looking: Forward.

11. roamy

roamy Senior Member

how is the war lingering on for the vn people if its over ?

12. thismoment

thismoment Member

I was talking about you - still emoting on the VN war.

13. roamy

roamy Senior Member

ha! ha! bingo! i thought so much.your one a them!just for the record i already knew what your game was.you took the bait an proved me right.an you know where you can stick your bias predjudice.the same place as all the rest a my fans.oh did i forget ta mention.............just another war that should never have happened.never!

14. highwayman72

highwayman72 Guest

i remember when my dad came home for good from Vietnam i slept with his army blanket so much even though it was itchy lol. he threw his medals and uniform away when he got home because people disrespected him and others when they got off the plane. but he did not let it bother him much or it didn't show anyway. im glad he got home alive i wish more had came home.

he died a few years ago from agent orange it messed him up really bad but we had to label it as another condition or the government would not have gave my mom benefits from him dieing from it. it sucked balls.

15. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Seriously? I know Vietnam vets who get service related disability from Agent Orange exposure. You may want to check with the VA again.

16. highwayman72

highwayman72 Guest

he did as well he got 100%disability but he got diabetes along with everything that agent orange gave him and they wanted us to put diabetes as the cause of death. but i will check it out though and see what i can find out.

17. newo

My Uncle John served in Vietnam, was already middle-aged, he had previously served in Korea. He has health issues including diabetes which he blames on Agent Orange, took many years to get the VA to compensate him.

One of my cousins who came out against the war once said anyone who goes to Vietnam is at best an accessory to murder. It's only in the past few years that John has forgiven him for saying that. While serving over there he never really understood what we were doing in Vietnam, but it still irritates him when anyone blames the soldiers for a war our government wages.

18. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

the little girl running naked...her clothes burned off.....Kim Phuc...........I met her and have her book autographed

1 person likes this.
  19. newo

20. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Interesting in that no such cities any longer exist.....